1 2 3
racerfink
racerfink UberDork
12/19/22 12:24 p.m.

Freedom Factory has already held a Mini Stock race (late model style 4 cyl. race cars), and is close to having another big race for hobby stock or some such class.  It wasn't just his YouTube races , drift, spectator drags and burnout competitions.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
12/19/22 12:26 p.m.
racerfink
racerfink UberDork
12/19/22 12:35 p.m.

Here's the entire night for anybody interested.

Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to ГУЛАГ мальчик УР следующий :

Study up on the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, CA - move next to airport then complain.  

I knew enough to not buy a house near Chicago's Midway Airport.  

Funny, I flew in to Midway a lot while my new bride and I got going. 

And her apartment was in the approach to O'Hare, I'd look up at every plane that came in.  

I digress. 

My old man took me to Santa Fe Speedway when I was a little kid.

I've got one of their flags autographed by David Pearson and Bobby Allison.  

Bummer it's gone. 

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
12/19/22 2:14 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to RossD :

Do you know any small race tracks that have opened lately? I don't.  

I have to stretch 'lately' but it feels recent at my age. New Jersey Motorsports Park opened in 2008 and seems to be going strong with two full tracks and two kart tracks.  I'm in the captive motorcycle track day club.  They have about 35 events per season and there are at least 20 more motorcycle events with different organizations.  They also host a round of MotoAmerica, the US national motorcycle series.  They have condos, a small hotel of sorts, garages, a pretty good restaurant.  They have repaving plans after next season.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/22 3:31 p.m.

Unfortunately, this is a story as old as racing itself... Lime Rock Park has been at odds with its neighbors over noise since it opened in 1957 - you can't race on Sundays there thanks to a long-standing injunction filed with support from the church across the road from the track (the church was founded in 1874 and predates the track by a bit). I'm still surprised that a deep-pocketed developer hasn't found a way to get a hold of the property.

We lost one of the other "original" road courses some years back when Bridgehampton was turned into a golf course - although I would argue that the tons of fertilizer required to keep non-native grasses growing on a golf course is more environmentally damaging than the thin strip of asphalt running through natural dunes that was the race circuit.

I'm happy that new tracks have been built in the Northeast over the last few years - Palmer Motorsports Park in MA (which started as a local SCCA-run initiative) and the renovation of the road course at Thompson in CT, along with the opening of Club Motorsports Park in NH. I'm hopeful that these facilities have the right "buffers" in place to resist the inevitable encroachment of developers.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/22 5:02 p.m.

He's getting news out there:

Claff
Claff HalfDork
12/19/22 10:27 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to RossD :

Do you know any small race tracks that have opened lately? I don't.  

When Old Dominion Speedway (Manassas VA) got swallowed up by development, it got replaced by Dominion Raceway 50 miles south, just off I-95. Great-looking Saturday night NASCAR oval and a road course that, admittedly, has its critics, but I like it. But I have to wonder, with development between DC and Richmond not slowing down anytime soon, is it just a matter of time before the wolves are at the door again? That might be 20-25 years down the road, at which point I'll probably be at the point where it won't affect me personally, but it's always in the back of my mind.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
12/19/22 11:48 p.m.

I seem to remember that Ontario Motor Speedway (in Riverside CA) had really bad luck, lasting only a few years.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/20/22 12:15 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Thanks for your addition to the discussion. I'm glad that my assumptions were wrong about how the FF was being managed as pertains to local oval track racers.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
12/20/22 9:54 a.m.

Jeez, completely forgot New York Safety Track.  It opened in 2013 in Harpersfield, NY.

The guys I ride with at NJMP do not feel it's very safe at all.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
12/20/22 12:00 p.m.
kb58 said:

I seem to remember that Ontario Motor Speedway (in Riverside CA) had really bad luck, lasting only a few years.

Sorry to be a Pedant but Ontario Motor Speedway was 25 miles west of Riverside. I think bordered by Foothill Blvd to the north, I-10 on the south (Historic Rt 66) east of Haven and  west of Millikan Rd.............we drove past it once a long time ago. Remnants of it were still around in the early 90s.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
12/20/22 12:29 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
kb58 said:

Sorry to be a Pedant but Ontario Motor Speedway was 25 miles west of Riverside. I think bordered by Foothill Blvd to the north, I-10 on the south (Historic Rt 66) east of Haven and  west of Millikan Rd.............we drove past it once a long time ago. Remnants of it were still around in the early 90s.

Yes Ontario and Riverside were different tracks.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
12/20/22 12:32 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

cracks me up that they interviewed and listed him as Cleetus Mcfarland instead of his real name. I sure hope he wins though. Wether it matters legally or not i think the, I want to open a track next to existing house, is a pretty salient point.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
12/20/22 1:12 p.m.

The "real issue" is that people tend to fixate on the wrong part of the problem. The part that can be seen, and that bothers us the most, is actually just a symptom. If people really wanted to fix the problem, they would dig down to the roots, and figure out how to change it from there. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/22 4:50 p.m.
racerfink said:

Freedom Factory has already held a Mini Stock race (late model style 4 cyl. race cars), and is close to having another big race for hobby stock or some such class.  It wasn't just his YouTube races , drift, spectator drags and burnout competitions.

Regular stop now for Clutch Kickers Drifting Comp too.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
12/20/22 7:18 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Not anymore. Clutch kickers is done until they can get their own facility. So basically, clutch kickers is done for good. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eRVjedKhEXZdM4v2Fb5vxjtUH6Ggmdm7JqAwlZ3uy4ZGJsqv7vR9x2UmowZIpIJ3