Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
2/11/13 9:54 a.m.

The recipe for the traditional muscle car was simple. Take a plain-Jane, midsized offering and re-engineer it for performance: big engine, big tires and, in many cases, big graphics. That plan of attack gave us a laundry list of tire shredders, most sporting nowiconic badges on their flanks: Oldsmobile 442, Chevelle SS, Plymouth Road Runner and more. Pontiac’s entry into …

Read the rest of the story

GLK
GLK New Reader
1/30/19 9:18 a.m.

Lesson: The used bar of soap school of design works in Australia but never works on muscle cars in America. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/19 10:16 a.m.

While the styling wasn't the most eye catching, most cars of the era were really ugly. I'm ok with plain. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/19 11:00 a.m.

This is the 05 I had a few years ago:

It was a nice car, pretty quick, very comfy seats, good noises. But it never felt as fast as 400hp should have felt to me, and it is a big boaty thing. I never minded the styling, it was stealthy, but I can see how it held the car back from a sales standpoint.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/19 11:10 a.m.

It looked like a regular car, not what everyone thought/thinks a muscle car should look like.

Neither did the 64 GTO.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/30/19 11:12 a.m.

Studebaker Gran Turismo.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/30/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

That's exactly how I feel when I test drove a GTO and a G8. Man, this sure doesn't feel like 400hp.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tVxHPgNblgZEdpqzlQDKcmK0Hq7cpJ1J1CoiwK2I8N5voVElDN0Ba7GZk8lFQKYo