Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/30/18 11:14 a.m.

Don't quit your day job...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/30/18 11:19 a.m.

na... 

That's just the new cheese Slicer at the Stew Leonards.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
10/30/18 12:13 p.m.

I was hoping for Chevy Celebrity.  Was not disappointed.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/18 12:24 p.m.

I'm surprised.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/30/18 12:43 p.m.

Wow, a Stew Leonards' reference!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/30/18 12:43 p.m.

I had a Celebrity sort of by accident a long time ago. Terrible car. FWD with the 2.8 and it was comfortable and reasonably quick but I had no end of trouble with the engine and it finally ventilated the block.

That said, I now want to build one into a sleeper track car. Ugh, that would be awful, but also awesome.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/18 1:20 p.m.

Eurosport FTMFW!

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/30/18 2:10 p.m.
dculberson said:

I had a Celebrity sort of by accident a long time ago. Terrible car. FWD with the 2.8 and it was comfortable and reasonably quick but I had no end of trouble with the engine and it finally ventilated the block.

That said, I now want to build one into a sleeper track car. Ugh, that would be awful, but also awesome.

Yeah, they were pieces of E36 M3, but I have a real soft spot for them.  We had 3 or 4 of them as company cars when I was a kid.  In fact, one was an '87, the first year they went to the euro look headlights.  At the time, that was novel and I thought it was awesome. 

I loved the exhaust note of the Eurosport, and it's twin the 6000STE.  I know...so pathetic, but hey, I was a teen.

Wonder if in 20 years a minty fresh Eurosport VR will cross the block at Barrett Jackson and fetch stupid money.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/30/18 4:02 p.m.

Wonder if in 20 years a minty fresh Eurosport VR will cross the block at Barrett Jackson and fetch stupid money.

Depending on what you think stupid money is, I really doubt it will take 20 years! GM made a whole bunch of weird but kinda cool trim levels on their FWDs in the 80s and 90s.  All of them are super rare at this point.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/30/18 4:08 p.m.

I've found myself wondering about those as a dirt cheap commuter platform.  They should be like legos to mix and match into something not horrible.  Then I remember what I'm looking at and go back to something more worthwhile like watching cartoons.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/30/18 4:22 p.m.

My Grandmother had that car back in the 80s when I was a kid. I remember thinking even back then (long before I was really into cars) "boy that thing is lame" lol.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/30/18 6:13 p.m.
Vigo said:

Depending on what you think stupid money is, I really doubt it will take 20 years! GM made a whole bunch of weird but kinda cool trim levels on their FWDs in the 80s and 90s.  All of them are super rare at this point.  

Uhh, as much as I have a soft spot for them I think $500 is stupid money. LOL.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/18 6:17 p.m.

I still want a VR

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/18 6:32 p.m.

I kinda miss these cars.  They were anvils.  They were like GM Toyotas:  They sucked, and were bland as mayo on white with the crust cut off, but they would just keep on doing what they did without asking for much in return.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
10/30/18 6:39 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I've found myself wondering about those as a dirt cheap commuter platform.  They should be like legos to mix and match into something not horrible.  Then I remember what I'm looking at and go back to something more worthwhile like watching cartoons.

Perhaps more like Mega Blocks. Mix and match all you want but the quality will still be subpar.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/30/18 10:49 p.m.

A Chevy will run like crap longer than most cars run at all.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/30/18 11:07 p.m.

I actually like the basic platform a  decent bit. I definitely prefer the esteemed Cutlas Ciera over the Celebrity, and they even made some cool looking low production versions of that too! 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
10/31/18 12:29 a.m.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
10/31/18 12:30 a.m.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/31/18 8:19 a.m.

I must say, those Eurosport wagons remind me a bit of the 850/V70.

I kinda like it.

Kinda.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/18 9:27 a.m.

pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I can’t see any combination of those cars making a good one. My mom had a pencil lead grey celebrity for a while when it was new and it was the biggest POS. 30 years of GM loyalty out the window and she has had nothing but Camrys ever since.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/18 9:43 a.m.

Ah, memory lane.  My first car was an 83 Celebrity in two tone maroon.  I blew the head gasket when I floored it at about 90 mph and it decided to fry the third gear clutches and hit about 7000 rpms.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/31/18 9:53 a.m.

We had a new Celebrity Eurosport when I was learning to drive.  It had a novel feature from new -- it was self aware.  It would detect the most pucker-inducing possible moment (like pulling across a divided four lane highway) and just die without warning.  

It ran perfectly the rest of the time.  It would never do this unless your life was in imminent peril.  It would always restart immediately, just in time to keep you from dying.  

The dealership chased the issue under warranty, but ultimately attributed it to is newfangled fuel injection and euro-ness.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/31/18 7:05 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

That’s funny! It’s like my Sierra. The only time I can do a burnout is when I need to get somewhere in a hurry. 

I had to meet the ambulance and father at the ER and my truck just sat there trying to turn left and just spun the tires until I was almost t-boned.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sEvVsc4uKUcvbN8GkHErCX108gN4qK543WcknabscrmNVmvfFSdKEIPAAftiQbRI