1 2
integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/17/08 12:36 p.m.

I drive a '92 Integra and want to "update" to the '98 the local Acura dealer has...I just don't think my insurance will be so cheap if I do.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/17/08 1:46 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: aircooled, technically, a suicide clutch is a foot operated clutch with the holding spring removed, so it only disengages the clutch when you step on the clutch pedal, like on a car. These usualy are found with a "jockey shift" that has the shifter ratchet arm down on the transmission, so you step on the clutch with your left foot, reach down by your side with your left arm and shift, then let the clutch out. A foot clutch/tank shift as they came from the factory was different. With it, the clutch had a foot board kinda thing. You step on it and pivot it one way to disengate the clutch and it would stay there if you took your foot off. You step on it and pivot it the other way to engage the clutch. Shifting was via a lever bolted to the left (HD) gas tank. So, you disengaged the clutch, shifted at the tank, engaged the clutch. At a stop, you could leave it in gear with the clutch disengaged, then engage the clutch and go. With a suicide clutch, at a stop you have to either keep your left foot on the clutch and balance the bike on your right foot or leave the bike in neutral with both feet on the ground. You gotta be pretty hard core to run a suicide clutch/jockey shift. All these bikes came kickstart only. The first electric start bike wasn't until well after the hand clutch/foot shift came along. Seeing pictures of people racing foot clutch/tank shift bikes on the dirt are pretty amazing.

My dad bought a basketcase Panhead (1948, IIRC) with that foot clutch/tank shifter setup. The shifter was so sloppy it was criminal. You stepped on the clutch, then pushed/pulled the shifter PAST whatever gear you wanted, then let go and hoped that it popped into place. I was 13 years old, weighed maybe 100 pounds, and was used to little Jap MX bikes. You can guess the rest.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
7/17/08 2:06 p.m.
aircooled wrote: This reminds me of a Harley I saw at a car show recently. It was sitting in the street with the rest of the cars/bikes, with the keys in it!

That bike isn't getting stolen because of what it is.

Anyone buying a bike like that know whose bike it is.

Anyone buying parts for that bike, knows whose bike it is.

Whoever rides that bike has plenty of friends just like him who would deal with the person who stole it in the same manner he would.

In short, it's not getting stolen because no-one would be stupid enough to steal that bike.

Shawn

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/08 2:10 p.m.

A couple of years ago our local police department offered free window etching. If your car was on the top-10 list, you also got a free Club. Our Civic was on the list, and without even asking they handed me a Club. (Whether it helps or not, it was still a nice gesture.)

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/17/08 4:00 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
aircooled wrote: This reminds me of a Harley I saw at a car show recently. It was sitting in the street with the rest of the cars/bikes, with the keys in it!
That bike isn't getting stolen because of what it is. Anyone buying a bike like that know whose bike it is. Anyone buying parts for that bike, knows whose bike it is. Whoever rides that bike has plenty of friends just like him who would deal with the person who stole it in the same manner he would. In short, it's not getting stolen because no-one would be stupid enough to steal that bike. Shawn

One of my dirt bike buddies had a Harley tag on the front of his pickup. He didn't own a Harley or even really care to, so I asked him why the tag? His answer: the street criminals and gangbangers were scared E36 M3less of the Harley types and wouldn't mess with their stuff.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/08 6:13 p.m.

Yeah, if he's a Harley rider he's probably a lawyer. Stay clear!

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/17/08 6:20 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: aircooled, technically, a suicide clutch is a foot operated clutch with the holding spring removed...

Hmmm, I am not sure then. I did not look at the clutch carefully, a rather surly looking guy that was also looking at the bike said it had one. It definitely had the jockey shift. I have heard in the past (don't know if it is true) that they sometime put "suicide" throttles on them (no return spring), I guess to allow you to rest you right hand on long rides?!

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe New Reader
7/17/08 6:42 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Amazing how many of those cars are over 10 years old.. only one 200X car on the list.. a ram pickup

like someone else said they are usually stolen so they can be parted out. The more people out there who need parts the more worth while it is to steal. Not too many people need parts for their new car.

There are however a ton of 90's Camrys out there who's owners would like some cheap parts.

yo vanilla
yo vanilla New Reader
7/17/08 7:06 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: Civics get stolen for parts. Acuras get stolen for their engines. Why the Camry is on the list is puzzling. My only guess is it's easy to steal and doesn't stand out for those late night drug runs.

The lock mechanisms from Camry's of that generation usually wear out to the point that you can just start it and drive away with any random (Camry) key. Makes them very easy to steal ;)

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
7/18/08 6:36 a.m.
daytonaer wrote:
ddavidv wrote: Civics get stolen for parts. Acuras get stolen for their engines. Why the Camry is on the list is puzzling. My only guess is it's easy to steal and doesn't stand out for those late night drug runs. Easiest car in the world to steal, I swear, is a Dodge Shadow/Acclaim/Voyager of the early 1990s. I can break into one of those and steal it in probably 60 seconds, and I'm not a car thief. The ignition switch is one of the easiest to break into, and gaining entry to the car...well, let's just say you don't need to break a window. I used to have several claims a year on those. I guess even thieves strive for something better now.
Those camry's have been on the list for years. I have one and am not sure why, there must be some secret trick to stealing them because I still have mine and it dosen't seem that easy to get into. I agree with k-cars, I could get into a friends dodge in High School with a key from our Chrysler. I don't even see that many 2nd gen camry's on the road anymore.

Yeah, there is. Actually a girl from the ghetto told me it's the easiest car to steal. I guess if you jab at the lock cylinder enough with a right sized screwdriver, it'll accept any key afterwards for you to start it with...I haven't tried it, so who knows if it's true.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
917LUVDOnsXZJ2lI8YXKeW27IQmPqDITFypJSb0WdWoqz79jOpbVgpExqMusIpOm