Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/21 11:06 a.m.
feature_image

When’s the last time you saw a Le Mans-winning race car for sale, let alone one that dominated its class during the 2000 ALMS season? Meet this 2000 Chrysler Viper GTS R.

During that 2000 season, this Viper also managed a GTS class wins at Sebring, and first-place finishes at seven out of the 10 races that season.

Also, this …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/15/21 11:08 a.m.

Fun fact: If you ever drove a Viper GTS R in early Gran Turismo games, the livery on that car was modeled after this Viper.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/21 11:57 a.m.

Is this a six figure car or a seven figure car?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/21 12:24 p.m.

Hard to guess, deep six or possibly seven. Also "coachwork" is an interesting choice of words for a stripped-out race car with removable body panels laugh

Scooter70
Scooter70 New Reader
3/15/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

One of the C7Rs just went for $850k so a 20+ year old Viper is going to be a whole lot less than that.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/15/21 1:26 p.m.

I like the arm padding for the right arm for shifting.

In reply to Scooter70 :

By that logic I should be able to pickup a Shelby Daytona Coupe pretty cheap then.

I really have no idea what a Le Mans and Sebring winning car would go for, especially a 1 of 3. I feel like Mopar guys like to pay extra for their rare cars as well.

I guess one of us needs to inquire about pricing lol

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/15/21 2:14 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Fun fact: If you ever drove a Viper GTS R in early Gran Turismo games, the livery on that car was modeled after this Viper.

It costs nothing to be kind. Instagram: @theother_woodbrother.

I do remember that. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/21 2:18 p.m.

GT2 with Stone Temple Pilots and Garbage on the soundtrack. Seeing that livery takes me right back to 9th grade. 

David S. Wallens
3/15/21 2:21 p.m.

Speaking of GT, somewhere I have a book that details all of the cars in the sim. Oddly, I was looking for it just yesterday (under the guise of research, of course).

350z247
350z247 Reader
3/16/21 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I always picked this Viper when racing my little brother on Gran Turismo 3. Definitely got a soft spot for it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/16/21 1:27 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

GT2 with Stone Temple Pilots and Garbage on the soundtrack. Seeing that livery takes me right back to 9th grade. 

In GT2 for a given race it would only load one song off the soundtrack.  I remember doing a ~3 hour enduro with the STP song playing.  Wow that got so old.

David S. Wallens
3/16/21 1:59 p.m.

Anyone else ever unlock the DC Sports World Challenge Integra? A car from our world--that was so cool. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/21 4:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Anyone else ever unlock the DC Sports World Challenge Integra? A car from our world--that was so cool. 

i did. And also saw the real one race at road Atlanta the same year.

Also saw the team oreca viper at Petit lemans in 2000. Glowing brakes and neon yellow headlights stick with you.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
3/16/21 5:06 p.m.

Hahahaha . . . flashbacks of stumbling into work half asleep after "race grinding" into the wee hours of the night to get enough credits for that car.  If I strike oil shooting at some food, that will be my first purchase.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/18/21 3:28 p.m.

When the seller says "please inquire" about the price, you know it's not gonna be cheap.

GB
GB New Reader
3/18/21 3:50 p.m.

Can we all chip in and buy it...

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/18/21 3:57 p.m.

Yep, "please inquire" about the price = not gonna happen for us. Jed C. sure, but the rest of us no way. The proven background/trophy collection alone of that Viper is probably good for at least $30K price bump. But then again, the whole vintage, classic, antique, super car market is really down right now. Those that have the $$ and desire to own should strike now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tSYvpHU9is0uM5sD5aARgVXhDhsjtdphRyh77xIscswnPTk8J1YsQF3UnHCUumv8