Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/9/15 10:53 a.m.

I thought the secret was "Low expectations" and "Sunblock"

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/9/15 12:44 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: realizing its not real racing

Here we go again. Read Randy Pobst's article in the new SportsCar magazine.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 3:57 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

GRM where the not so nice Canadians apparently spend their time online :/

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 3:57 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

He's a Canuckistanian and therefore not likely to read that mag.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 5:34 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:

Nobody reads SportsCar magazine.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/9/15 5:37 p.m.

I should autocross the CR-V

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/9/15 5:45 p.m.

My advice, start with a 2006 Audi TT with the DSG, better reaction time than manual and quicker shifts, plus the AWD makes you quicker out of turns. Then you can upgrade to best tires with the tallest sidewall, which won't be very much in the best tires, I find lower profiles break quicker and no need for bigger wheels. Beyond that you can build up to 400hp.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/9/15 5:48 p.m.
svxsti wrote: My advice, start with a 2006 Audi TT with the DSG, better reaction time than manual and quicker shifts, plus the AWD makes you quicker out of turns. Then you can upgrade to best tires with the tallest sidewall, which won't be very much in the best tires, I find lower profiles break quicker and no need for bigger wheels. Beyond that you can build up to 400hp.

thanks, you just gave ms service ammunition to buy an audi tt

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/9/15 5:51 p.m.

Miata

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/9/15 6:18 p.m.
Woody wrote:
jstein77 wrote:

Randy's column is pretty much all I read …

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
5/9/15 9:22 p.m.
Woody wrote:
jstein77 wrote:

I like the pretty pictures.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/9/15 9:41 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: ...to look where you're going, not where your car is pointed.

Actually, the secret is to get past the "sea of cones" visual that eats up your time trying to find a course amidst the cones. I myself must suffer from cone dyslexia because I can't get past that point!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/9/15 10:11 p.m.
Woody wrote: Nobody reads SportsCar magazine.

I read SportsCar magazine.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
5/9/15 10:45 p.m.

I also read Sports Car, would read it more than once if they produced a real size copy and not the current 3/5 magazine.

The current issue has Randy Pobst reliving his roots, in the world of the "pylon". Bob Endicott is on the cover. His story of returning to the same world is worth reading. He is, that quick. I run in the same region, can attest to his helpfulness and have seen him school the kids. No, I do not run in STR.

If you find your self in SoCal, our events are listed on www.solo2.com

I'm the old guy in the floppy hat and the white long sleeved button down shirt. I know all that Cali sun is not my friend. But with a 12 month season who could complain.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
5/10/15 12:12 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Actually, the secret is to get past the "sea of cones" visual that eats up your time trying to find a course amidst the cones. I myself must suffer from cone dyslexia because I can't get past that point!

Try drawing the course while you walk it, using 2 parts of you brain can help it feel like a road, not a parking lot. You could also try naming the corners. I did all that, and called out corners and 1st lap, second lap, and I didn't go off course. Now to get fast enough not to be last.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
5/10/15 1:00 a.m.

Ummm the secret is to look where you want to go; becuase where the car is pointed, where the car is currently going and where you want to go are all different right up until the very last thousandth of a second that you clear a gate/section and when that happens you're already planning 4 gates ahead. It's time travel, you execute a manuvour, then a second and a half later you find out if you got it right but you are a second and a half into the future and have no way to fix the past. You are but a passenger in the present moment. In the Formula 500 the advice I'm giving my brain is steer faster faster faster steer BRAAAAAKE gas steer faster faster faster.....whoa the run is done already. As for the agression level there is a huge difference between attacking and hacking; most of the newbies I've dealt with are aggressive but are completely unaware of coordinating the controls i.e. using the brake and steering in unison. That's the difference between full attack and total hack. As for road racers hmmm yeah from time to time I find myself trying to be silky smooth in places where it just doesn't matter. I stopped autocrossing while my son autocrossed a Kart as I wanted to focus on him. From 1989 to 2001 I was doing 7-10 events a year, from 2002 till 2012 I am not sure I drove more then 10 events. I started up again in October, the F500 was set up for road racing so I'm sorting the autocross set up but have still managed 3 events thus far and will probably do 7-8 events this year which is the other secret........practice practice practice. Oh and yes I am one of the guys who doesn't refer to it as racing becuase my brain needs to comparmentalize it, otherwise I throw away the first run on my "warm up" lap. I view autocross like motorcycle trails riding you'll never try so hard at low speed obstacles and fail so epically one second and look like a hero the next.

Tom
midniteson
midniteson Reader
5/10/15 1:46 a.m.

Practice.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
5/10/15 8:50 a.m.

I need to find a good instructor/co driver. Can't seem to get a handle on the mix of smooth aggressiveness and course layout.

Any of y'all around the central Carolina region want to autocross someone else's pro-touring car and teach someone who is blind and stupid this season?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/15 10:31 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: ...to look where you're going, not where your car is pointed.

Rallycross too.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/10/15 11:18 a.m.

The butthurt is strong in this thread lol

lateapexer
lateapexer New Reader
5/10/15 11:46 a.m.

My runs feel slow and smooth, turns out they're mostly just slow.. at least there aren't parking thingees any more.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/10/15 1:32 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: The butthurt is strong in this thread lol

Whenever there's a discussion about autocross on this forum, there usually is...

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/10/15 3:29 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: The butthurt is strong in this thread lol
Whenever there's a discussion about autocross on this forum, there usually is...

you're right .. but I hadn't gotten that vibe yet … HiTemp, to what are you referring ? what did I miss ?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkQfD9zRBKjO1qz9GMvDDJ8x2VDFM0pm2hLm1efeSuh4whCkQlg9oYFiUrqDLJbn