wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/21 5:41 p.m.

I'm on a quest to form metal. Instead of finishing my motorized bead roller, or doing something else constructive, I chose to spend the afternoon starting another shop tool project. As per usual, I'll likely get it 90% done, then stall, leaving the hard part for later.

Here we go.

First, I made an H out of some angle iron that is so rusty, it could easily have come from a shipwreck.

Then, I struggled to make a temporary and accurate way to locate the shrinker/stretcher chingadero I had previously made thinking I'd clamp it in a vice.

This would allow me to make legs attaching the two things. 

Like this.

Once done, I removed the temporary brace, leaving only the stand.

Next up, some foot pedals so I can use both hands to hold whatever I'm working on. More later.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 6:12 p.m.

Watching with anticipation because I have to do the same thing since HF discontinued their stand

5/22/22 11:04 a.m.

I finally got back to this. Didn't take pictures along the way, but the final product is pretty self explanatory.

Detail shots:

As far as geometry calculations, motion ratios, and all that, my answer was W.A.G. Seems to have worked out okay, mainly due to the adjustability of those turnbuckles. I located the rebar crosspieces at a height that kept my foot at a comfortable extension, then glued old fuel hose on as a bump stop. All pretty basic, really.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/22/22 11:12 a.m.

Very clever and nicely done. 

5/22/22 11:41 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Mostly copied from other's work on YouTube.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lH9nUzidhOG63AruICGnslTZRrEuJcT26aabE1z5gyIsrJtI3ZjHGpxUclNm9g0w