1 2 3
ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/3/12 5:29 p.m.

I liked it. I favorited it. I subscribed. That's HEINOUS.

Now fling it around the road course for our amusement.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/12 5:32 p.m.

honestly, at this point, you have nothing to lose by throwing fresh oil in and starting her up.. most you will be out is 5 quarts of oil

pres589
pres589 Dork
2/3/12 6:01 p.m.

I'd throw the cheapest oil and filter I can find in there with 1/2 a quart of ATF and 1/2 a quart of MMO replacing one quart of oil. Let it idle until hot then open the drain plug and see what happens. Assuming this thing starts up easy, it sounds like it might not if it was sitting with no valve cover or carb for that long.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
2/3/12 6:01 p.m.

Pour the water on an ant hill and don't loose a wink of sleep over it.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
2/3/12 7:25 p.m.

The crap that came out of there isn't simply from it sitting open. You only get that mess when the oil and water are churned together.

I'd expect a blown head gasket. ...at best.

pstrbrc
pstrbrc New Reader
2/3/12 7:42 p.m.

The clip sed, no carb or valve covers... Me? Put another empty oil pan under there, take two quarts of cheap atf, microwave them for 5 minutes, (caps off, of course...) and pour one each over each exposed head. Let the warm atf wash the crap out of the pan. Button it up, clean filter, pre-warm the next 4 quarts of cheap atf going in the same way, and crank it over until you have pressure. Since you don't want to burn up a starter, just keep cranking it over until pressured once an hour the rest of the day, then drain the crap and call it a success.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
2/3/12 8:00 p.m.

".. that appears to be... salad dressing?"

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/3/12 8:07 p.m.

That is some very nasty stuff.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/3/12 8:07 p.m.

No, no, no. Don't pull the pan. Here's how we did a boneyard motor at the Buick dealer that had the same exact problem. Braniac technician installed it without checking first, the damn thing had probably 4 gallons of clear water in it. We weren't crazy about pulling it back out, obviously.

Get 5 gallons of kerosene or diesel. Put a drain pan under there. Start pouring the kerosene/diesel in from the top, don't dump it all in there at once, just keep a steady stream going. Pour it down through the valve train on each side. After it drains completely, stick the valve covers back on and put some of the cheapest oil you can find in there along with a quart of ATF and a cheap filter. Fire it up, run it till it gets good and hot, drive it 10 miles or so if you can. Then change the oil again quick while it's still good and hot, dump in your 'race' oil and put on a good filter.

Profit.

OBTW: do this quick. Southern Discomfort is 27 days away.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/3/12 10:21 p.m.

Ugh. After the first 90 seconds I was thinking (in my sleep-deprived state) that the engine really, really had to go bad.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/4/12 6:48 a.m.

The rumor is that after draining that and filling with proper oil, the thing ran and made 55 psi of oil pressure. I'd say it's ready to go. We're hitting up Lemons South at CMP in March. Plenty of time!

The engine isn't even in the right car, or bolted to the right transmission and the bracket I've made to mount the calipers to the spindles are currently made of cardboard. I don't see any issues here.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/4/12 7:10 a.m.

I'm looking forward to it.. mwahahaha

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/4/12 8:57 a.m.

Dude, I'ma puke...

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
2/4/12 9:08 a.m.

Wow, didn't realize cars got diarrhea.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/4/12 9:10 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: I believe the correct term is "Santorum"

I read this comment then heard "feels like the first time" and about died in my chair.

colaboy
colaboy New Reader
2/4/12 9:18 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

....and thank you for making me google "santorum"......I'll be puking now....followed shortly by having my curiosity lobe removed from my brain.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
2/5/12 10:31 a.m.

Tuna55 told me about this thread yesterday when he came over to help us work on the LTD Landau. I was the mastermind behind the whole 460 plan, so here's the full scoop:

I bought the car, found doing a CL search for "460 Ford", from an airline pilot near Spartanburg, SC. it was claimed that the engine ran 2 years ago when he bought it. And he purportedly changed the oil then. The oil filter looked new-ish, so it wasn't an entirely unplausible story.

So I got the car (68 Continental) home, pulled the plugs, poured a half-cup of 15W-40 down each cylinder, and cranked it over with a breaker bar. I then attached an oil pressure gauge to the engine and cranked it over with the starter. I found about 20 psi of pressure. (I also did a compression test, which found 200psi on all cylinders save the left front and the right rear. The left front was going 90-0-90, indicating a stuck valve, and the right rear showed 140 psi, which increased to 200 with the addition of a bit of motor oil, indicating worn rings)

Before trying to fire the engine, I checked the dipstick and found the milky mess. So I decided to change the oil...and found what you see in the video. After draining it all out, and digging around with a screwdriver to pull out whatever lumps I could get out, I replaced the drain plug and attached an electric fuel pump to the fuel tank line on the Lincoln, and pumped a few gallons of gasoline into the dipstick tube. I rocked the car back and forth a bit, and then drained out the gasoline, which had dissolved quite a bit more crud in the pan.

Next, I refilled the oil sump with 2 gallons of 15W-40, and cranked it over until I saw 55 psi on the oil pressure gauge. I figured the extra 3 qts (the rated capacity is 5 qts) would splash around and hopefully lubricate around the crank and lower cylinders.

Then, we hooked up the cooling system and started the engine. At first there was a horrible metallic clanking noise, but that went away after removing the water pump belt, indicating a bad pump. Belt removed, we tried again:

http://www.tunachuckers.com/blog/index.php?p=113&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Incidentally, I did collect most of what was drained from the c'case, and will be recycling it at the local hazardous waste reclamation facility. Greenville County does a pretty fair job of maintaining modern recycling collection centers, and they'll accept most anything hazardous or recyclable you can bring them.

Next step: pull the pan, clean it out, change the timing set, intake manifold, and water pump, then into the LTD it will go.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/6/12 7:23 p.m.
I believe the correct term is "Santorum"

I just came back to GRM forum after a 2-3 month break and that comment reminds me of why i like this place. hahaha

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/6/12 7:51 p.m.

Out berkeleying standing. Nice work fellas.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
2/6/12 8:36 p.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: I believe the correct term is "Santorum"

I had to Googlez this to find out what it meant. I'm sorry I did (almost).

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/6/12 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Marty!:

Ditto. And here I thought I'd already heard of all the filth the world had to offer.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
2/14/12 2:34 p.m.

More "progress":

http://www.tunachuckers.com/blog/index.php?p=114&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
2/14/12 3:30 p.m.

OMG the Santorum thing is hilarious.

And I haven't even watched the video yet.....

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/21/12 3:26 p.m.

Currently the list of "TO DO" looks like this:

connect brake hydraulics

Plus open ports in intake

connect radiator (weird adapter hoses required)

replace thermostat housing

check driveshaft axial clearance

install carb

theme?

rebuild carb

Change brake pads

Change oil

Change tranny fluid

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
2/21/12 6:17 p.m.

Sounds like a fun week.