1 2 3
unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/22/12 9:30 a.m.

So, uh, you guys looking for another team member for next year?

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/23/12 9:35 p.m.
unevolved wrote: So, uh, you guys looking for another team member for next year?

Who knows. We have six now!

Another update, which is pretty nice, although does not contain any pictures of me actually working...

http://www.tunachuckers.com/blog/index.php?p=115&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/26/12 4:01 p.m.

new blog update - it runs, has brakes and some other stuff. Rain in the forecast, good thing we have those deep street tires that are bad for everything else!

http://www.tunachuckers.com/blog/index.php

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/26/12 5:54 p.m.

Watched the vid early this morning, runs great, regardless of how much italian dressing it used to house!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
2/29/12 4:16 p.m.

The LTD Landau is on the trailer! So far we've put about 13 gallons of fuel in it to tune the engine and load it on the trailer. I'm predicting about 2 laps per gallon this weekend. We'll be selling our bodily fluids to pay for the gas for this beast.

Or the 460 will lunch itself on a bed of motor oil salad dressing.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/29/12 7:58 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: The LTD Landau is on the trailer! So far we've put about 13 gallons of fuel in it to tune the engine and load it on the trailer. I'm predicting about 2 laps per gallon this weekend. We'll be selling our bodily fluids to pay for the gas for this beast. Or the 460 will lunch itself on a bed of motor oil salad dressing.

Congrats guys - I am stuck here at work for another few hours. Good to know you made out OK. I got the fan clutch today and will be bringing it along with everything else on Friday morning.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
3/13/12 1:28 p.m.

Update: the 460 lasted through an entire weekend of endurance racing! Quite a feat for an engine that was built 44 years ago, had 98,000 miles on it, and had been stored outside for the past 2 years and was full of water.

485 pound-feet of torque (at 2800 rpm) in a 4000 pound car with 2.75 gears is an experience like none other. I truly feel sorry for the generations to come after us that will never know the joys of W.O.T. low-RPM Big Block acceleration. And 8 gallons/ hour fuel consumption.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
3/13/12 2:33 p.m.

8gph is better than I expected for that beast. Our lemons Civic gets about 4gph, but with only 1.6 liters, two cylinders of the 460 are more than our whole engine

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/27/14 1:14 p.m.

HER WATER BROKE! GET HER TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/27/14 1:39 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/27/14 1:55 p.m.

I knew I shouldn't have posted the link to this thread. Oh well, zombies are fun. This engine blew a head gasket in race #2 after stint #1. We discovered that it had been done before, and poorly, and the PO stripped a head bolt.

if I remember correctly.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/27/14 1:58 p.m.

Ah yes, that. Ancient history, I guess. We have a 460 out of a farm truck in her now. Perhaps the theme should be "International Harvestor".

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/30/14 10:54 a.m.

For those of you into the "Items recently commented on" thing...

Tunachuckers are ready to rock and/or roll again at CMP in 3 days. The 460 is installed, and it runs amazingly well (knock on wood) for a 1980's low compression truck big block. We welded in another passenger door bar to comply with 2014 LeMons rule creep. Ordered HT-10 Hawk pads to replace the light-switchy DC-60's we had been running on it. I personally have driven the car THREE-EIGHTHS OF A MILE since installing the most recent powertrain, and left long black marks on the road with it, so I can definitely say that power is "adequate". We still want to wire in an aux electric cooling fan (for knocking down engine temps when the engine is off due to fueling rules) and I still have to, you know, pack and all to head down to the track tomorrow night.

Oh, and my tow vehicle is currently in the shop getting all sorts of 14 year old Ford parts replaced, at the cost of one income tax refund check. I am assured the truck will be ready to run by tonight.

So, to recap: '75 Ford LTD Racecar: ready to run. 2000 F350 tow vehicle: currently inop.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
4/30/14 11:08 a.m.

My four year old wanted to know why you put ranch in the engine

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/30/14 11:26 a.m.

'Cause Blue Cheese gives you the farts.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/30/14 11:59 a.m.

Man, that was sooo 2 years ago!

ross2004
ross2004 New Reader
4/30/14 12:11 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: We still want to wire in an aux electric cooling fan (for knocking down engine temps when the engine is off due to fueling rules)

I hope you're not planning on running the fan while refueling. Kill switch & all things electrical have to be off.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/30/14 12:32 p.m.

Yeah we'll kill it while actually fueling, but it'll help cool the engine when the switch is on but the engine's off the rest of the time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWPWGqZUBO1VTXYZ6SZQ42Noonopc9zF7Ay1PmSltaUmDlz9eOStlS5ggvaq7N6K