1 2 3
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/3/09 11:54 p.m.

There is only one Merc.

Every time I look at it, I notice something else that has been tweaked just a little bit.

Too bad the only Barris with talent isn't around anymore.

Shawn

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/3/09 11:57 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Too bad the only Barris with talent isn't around anymore.

Chuck?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/09 12:29 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: It's a 91 300TE, with a 3.0 liter inline 6. It isn't fast, but it has no trouble keeping up with traffic. Plus, as demonstrated in the video, it's impervious to canons and monster trucks. I'm told these engines respond well to turbocharging, too.

Not a 4-matic I hope? Those are an expensive headache in the making (ask me how I know). The standard ones are pretty much unbreakable though.

Just to add to the jargonic confusion, in Germany we call them either Mercedes or Daimler (because they're made by Daimler-Benz) and of course the latter is a posh Jaguar here in the UK...

JetMech
JetMech New Reader
11/4/09 12:50 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
ignorant wrote:
That is the ONLY M-B I have any interest in.

Not even a 300SL "Gullwing?"

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
11/4/09 3:30 a.m.

It is unfortunate that a car company with a name as cool as Mercury became a dumping ground for slightly redesigned Fords for old people.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/4/09 5:11 a.m.

Just a note to say that the rest of the world gets Mercedes Benz cars but only in America can you get a Mercury, so it is not a concern anywhere else.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/4/09 5:53 a.m.

Merc = Mercury.

Benz = Mercedes.

That's how it was when I was growing up, and I've stuck with it since.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/4/09 6:49 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: These are the only things I dare call Mercs.

That's a Merc, you have a Benz.

Remember these are the same folks that inbred for centuries, killed off relatives for political gain, call cops bobbies, the bathroom is a loo, a truck is a lorrie and don't even ask about a tosser.

Dan

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
11/4/09 8:00 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Tom Heath wrote: It's a 91 300TE, with a 3.0 liter inline 6. It isn't fast, but it has no trouble keeping up with traffic. Plus, as demonstrated in the video, it's impervious to canons and monster trucks. I'm told these engines respond well to turbocharging, too.
Not a 4-matic I hope? Those are an expensive headache in the making (ask me how I know). The standard ones are pretty much unbreakable though. Just to add to the jargonic confusion, in Germany we call them either Mercedes or Daimler (because they're made by Daimler-Benz) and of course the latter is a posh Jaguar here in the UK...

No, definitely NOT a 4-matic, although it does have the self-leveling rear suspension. Supposedly the Sportline suspension will swap in, but I think I only want the bigger anti-roll bars. The softness is kinda nice for this car, but the body roll is very noticeable.

Benz is probably the best designation for the car, since it won't be confused with anything else. "Silver Arrow" sounds much too sporty for this road couch.

Vinz Clortho
Vinz Clortho GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 8:12 a.m.

I thought the shortened version of Mercedes Benz was "Das friggin ubervagon"

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/4/09 8:26 a.m.

You have to remember that the Brit's abbreviate EVERYTHING, and why have one abbreviation (Benz) when several will do!!! Benz, MB, Merc, arrow, three pointed star, silver arrow etc etc are all valid.

Also the first time I was aware of 'Mercury' as a brand was when a guy at work had an imported Grand Marquis (Grand Marc-uis not marquee, how the hell do you do pronunciation on the web?) We were all so busy laughing at it and the name that no one ever bothered shortening Mercury to Merc, it was just the Yank-tank if we were being polite.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 9:31 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Careful with giving cars that can't handle to sporting lads. I wrecked my parent's 77 Olds a few times b/c I was trying to drive it sportingly. I stopped wrecking once I got my 77 Scirocco. At least it could handle a turn.

+1 Cornering ability is as much a safety feature as braking power. An agile car is just safer IMO (I've had the least close calls with the AE92, and the most with a doesn't-go-turn-or-stop Daewoo), although agility and crash safety rarely come together...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 10:27 a.m.

I read somewhere that cockroaches and Mercedes Diesels are the only things that will survive the apocalypse.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
11/4/09 12:37 p.m.

Mercedes handle alright, they aren't going to embarrass a NSX or del sol but they can go through the curves. I think a mercedes doesn't handle great but once you get through the curve you can lay on the power. It might not be pretty or sound very good but it can happen. I've attacked the PCH a couple of times and wasn't passed once, although I did piss quite a few people off. Another thing about the three pointed star is people will yield to you if you are faster, don't know why but it happens.

JetMech
JetMech New Reader
11/4/09 1:23 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I read somewhere that cockroaches and Mercedes Diesels are the only things that will survive the apocalypse.

Slant-Six Mopars and 22R/22R-E Toyota trucks probably would, too...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
11/4/09 1:38 p.m.
JetMech wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: I read somewhere that cockroaches and Mercedes Diesels are the only things that will survive the apocalypse.

And Keith Richards.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/4/09 3:35 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Just a note to say that the rest of the world gets Mercedes Benz cars but only in America can you get a Mercury, so it is not a concern anywhere else.

We know, but that still doesn't make it a Merkedes. As somebody said, I could buy calling it a "Merce", but nobody seems to.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
11/4/09 9:22 p.m.

Quote of the month!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/09 10:06 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
JetMech wrote:
And Keith Richards.

Add Bamboo.. it was growing at Ground Zero in Hiroshima and Nagisaki days after the bombs dropped.

Cool car though, my favourites of the MBs.

As for the Grand marquis.. think French for the pronouciation

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
11/4/09 10:29 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
JetMech wrote:
And Keith Richards.

As Peter Griffin Stated...Keith is the most unattractive name in the english language.

mad_machine
11/4/09 10:37 p.m.

I will have to let my friend Keith know that. Of course his middle name is not that good either.. "woodstock"

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/4/09 10:49 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
JetMech wrote:
And Keith Richards.

And aircooled VWs. The first post WW3 World Driving Championship will be for Formula Vee.

mad_machine
11/5/09 2:08 a.m.

Thought the first post WW3 race would involve a supercharged Ford Falcon?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/6/09 10:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Thought the first post WW3 race would involve a supercharged Ford Falcon?

That's post WW3 law enforcement.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
11/6/09 10:48 p.m.

Perhaps the most bass ass Merc ever made......
and video to go with it too!

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3504563/9732726

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OEoKHjwbnf1a2iMhfDDkxjUnUqqhoXUyR8Y7Mi3bpYU35pntYsrcdGh1ktCzJTsF