Zachary Mayne
Zachary Mayne
7/9/21 3:44 p.m.

Dave Scholz’s friends tell him he’s lucky when it comes to acquiring Datsun Z-cars, and it’s easy to see why. Not one, but two classic 240Zs have wandered into his life with minimal effort on Dave’s part—and for very little cash.

“My first Z came to me by luck,” he explains. “I had brought a magazine from Japan called Nostalgic …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 68 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/9/21 4:47 p.m.

I'll keep scanning the roads in hopes to see that car in the wild

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/9/21 5:31 p.m.

I've watched the YouTube on that car 20x. The sound it makes is incredible.  

Dave doesn't know it but he's my hero.  He's the wind beneath my wings.  

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/21 10:58 p.m.

Still love seeing this car pop up. My kind of build. Just because these cars are worth more than they used to be, build it the way you want to. 

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/11/21 3:23 p.m.

Dave's Petrolicious video is the main reason I bought a 260Z.

.... that sound!

Thanks for reminding me of this article, I'm trying to size some wheels, and those are perfect.

tlott01
tlott01 New Reader
2/5/22 3:49 p.m.

Perfection

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
12/28/23 2:13 p.m.

Aaahh, I know this has been around for a while, but it's a new article to me.  I thought I recognized this car from a Petrolicious video--one of my faves--and it turns out to be the same car.  Great article and I loved the details about the car, some of which didn't make it to the video.  My '72 240Z has mesh Rota wheels, but it would be very nice to have RS Watanabe's on it.  Anyone care to donate $2500 to a good cause? lol

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/28/23 2:39 p.m.

In reply to DavyZ $2500 donation request:

Your $1,000 donation will get me these wheels AND we would be helping promote an advertiser.  

LOL!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4grOzhmEKcX7JjTom5WBDW3VhP1MlXSNgt66zRWUiSKhsS4juX8CldC004qQaRpd