1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/27/13 9:57 a.m.

Wow, this thread got out of hand quick! Hope this all works out AND you get to go on your trip! (See what I did there?)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/27/13 10:05 a.m.

The last time we dealt with this, we had a customer with an RL that had a similar issue with an out of state dealer. The lived there at the time, and some dingbat didn't install the drain bolt smoked the trans. The dealer installed a used and passed it off as a Honda reman. 16 months later the trans took a dump, couldn't warranty it because of the issue. Honda Corporate got involved, the dealer that installed the used trans ended up paying for a Honda reman, customer got a new 3/36 warranty and I still see that customer today.

The down side is it took 6 weeks to get through all the crap to get paid and get the correct trans ordered etc. Customer was without their car for 4 weeks. In the end, it gets taken care of but it sucks. If you're out of town when it happens, you're screwed unless you don't mind hoofing it back home.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 10:06 a.m.

Jeebus berkeleyin christo.

Just got a call back from the SM. He is maintaining that a used transmission is all they'll do. Period. Tried to get me to bite on "I'm so confident in this thing that we'll warranty it for 5 years, 100,000 miles." He also said "If you ever have any problems out of town, you just have the local dealer pick up the phone and call me." Um. Great. Then what??? I basically said, if I was the "other dealer," I'd be inclined to tell you to come pick up your car. He also said:

"We filled the trans back up with fluid and drove it around, and it only made noise in 5th gear. According to Honda, all we're required to replace is 5th gear. Even if the car had 500 miles and came from the factory with a loose plug, that's all Honda would warranty - 5th gear replacement."

Also:

"If I put a NEW Honda transmission in it, all you'd get with it is a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty."

Then:

"I can't even GET a NEW transmission for the car. All Honda sells is "Case parts." I might be able to get a remanufactured trans, but again, that's only going to come with a 12/12 warranty."

I didn't bother getting into an argument. They're not budging. I told him, again, that I understood his line of thinking, but that my line of thinking is that I KNOW what kind of mileage my 36k mile transmission has had...36k of mommy/baby miles. Not 20k of pizza delivery, or downtown ATL traffic, or theft-recovery, or flood car that's been sitting in a junkyard since 2009, AND that my other concern was still "I bought this car thinking 'We can go ANYWHERE in it and not have a problem. If we do, I can take it to the local dealer, grab a rental, and go about my vacation. 'Everything will be fine. I'll take care of it.' Does not ease my apprehension about this."

I asked him if it was reasonable for me to wait to hear back from Honda Corporate, and he said "Absolutely. We won't even have the trans here until tomorrow."

So there's that. I'll address my concerns with the woman from Corporate and see what she has to say.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/27/13 10:10 a.m.

20011-RP4-G72, there are currently 2 in the Chino, CA warehouse. He can have it in about 4 business days. Retail price is $2375.29

Honda does not offer ANY remanufactured transmissions. All Honda remanufactured parts carry a 3/36 warranty.

Anything else he wants to lie about?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/27/13 10:11 a.m.

Well, now you are berkeleyed. Honda corporate knows the car had a melted transmission, so the identical used one you would have gotten, had it failed, will no longer be covered by the Honda warranty. They never would have known the difference...

This reminds me a bit of suing a restaurant for a billion dollars because the busboy spilled coffee on you pants. Bloody Americans...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/27/13 10:15 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Also, said trip to Tampa is not mythical, but I'm visiting my brother, so it will be legendary.
/threadjack/ You going to let me buy you a beer as you pass by on I-75? Back to the fit is a piece of E36 M3 discussion...
Indeed, with me band maties, wife & kid in tow. I'm bound and determined to have the chicken & biscuits at the Top again. On topic: On the way home I was thinking about how a 69 911 is a totally reasonable DD. I berkeleyed up not buying that car when I had the chance! ;)

We love the Top! Keep me posted. It would be great to grab dinner. And you're right, I imagine a '69 911 would be simply incredible and one of the coolest cars one could ever own!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/27/13 10:15 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Also: "If I put a NEW Honda transmission in it, all you'd get with it is a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty."
I get to be a little bit of a dick on this one, I said that earlier and Bob said I was wrong.

No, he lied. Just like I pointed out on the other lies. The car carries the factory warranty on that part. So if he has 24k miles left of warranty, that is still in effect.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
6/27/13 10:23 a.m.

Poop, it's really simple at this point. Just get him to put that warranty in writing and make sure it's applicable to all Honda dealerships nationwide (he won't, but it will get your point across).

What happens if he quits. If the dealership closes. If you move.

Like dear old Gramps said:

If it's not in writing, it doesn't exist.

And, in this case, you know exactly what you want to be in writing. Get it.

With all of the muddle, I got lost. How much longer was the transmission warrantied for? I'd say if you get that matched you're pretty good.

slowride
slowride Reader
6/27/13 10:42 a.m.

Jeebus. This seems like a E36 M3ty thing to have happen.

I don't think this helps much, but my dad had a 2003(?) TL and the trans went completely out (no gears at all). He got a new trans, no hassle or anything. But I don't think it was caused by the dealer, it was bad batch from the factory or something.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/27/13 10:52 a.m.

Poop----- Do you have any lawyer friends? If so, it may be time to have a detailed letter sent to the owner of the dealership explaining (in detail) your complaint. ( with the Lawyer's letterhead)

I'd also draft a letter to the local TV and news papers, and email it to the dealership to let them know what you are planning on sending.

They need to realize that the cost of the negative PR this will create, is going to be far more expensive than doing the right thing, and providing you with a new trans.

AND PLAY NICELY PEOPLE---- let's keep this civil.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/13 10:55 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Wow, this thread got out of hand quick! Hope this all works out AND you get to go on your trip! (See what I did there?)

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 10:55 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Also: "If I put a NEW Honda transmission in it, all you'd get with it is a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty."
I get to be a little bit of a dick on this one, I said that earlier and Bob said I was wrong.
No, he lied. Just like I pointed out on the other lies. The car carries the factory warranty on that part. So if he has 24k miles left of warranty, that is still in effect.
It does if it is replaced under warranty. This is not a warranty claim. This is the same as anyone buying the transmission from the parts counter. If it got messed up at a Chevy store and the Chevy store bought it and put it in, what's the warranty? The Dealer is not lying.

Interesting point. But assuming Bob is not lying (I am more inclined to believe him than the dealer) the SM did BLATANTLY lie about "Not being able to get a new transmission." I don't even need to call around to know that that's a load of horse E36 M3.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
6/27/13 11:00 a.m.

I think this pretty much sums up the debate here--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 11:02 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I apologize for letting it go like this for so long, and especially to Bob, for me being a dick. I just see it different, and that's OK. I will throw another idea out, and see if Bob agrees from what he sees at his store. Honda Fits hold resale like no other car. If the Dealer is fine with a used transmission and it can be done cheaper to them, ask what they will give on trade in towards a new Fit. This might be an opportunity to step up to a brand new car for almost 0 out of pocket. Your car has the best trade in number at the moment, since they owe you.

Round numbers: $12 - $13k (avg/cln) Black Book value. $800 deduct for manual trans. I think I paid $16,700 for this one before taxes, doc, etc. KBB trade value is $12 - $13k.

It's an interesting idea, but I honestly wonder if that would smell fishy to the dealer, you know? Following your "For all they know, you pulled the plug angling for a new tranny" argument.

I dunno. At that point, I might just take the path of least resistance, pick it up, and drive it straight to the mazda dealership to pick up my new Mazda5, and write letters, send emails, copies of GRM magazines with all of the pics of me & Wayne's Hondas, including the cover shot, and links to this thread, and the cross-post "Buyer beware" thread on Fitfreak, and let both Honda NA and the dealership know that I hope their inability to suck up the cost of a new trans vs a used one was worth it.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
6/27/13 11:03 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: AND PLAY NICELY PEOPLE

Say's the guy who recommends threatening the dealer...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/13 11:30 a.m.

Wow, I cant believe the dealer is fighting you on a part that anyone can buy for around $1600 ...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/27/13 11:45 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: AND PLAY NICELY PEOPLE
Say's the guy who recommends threatening the dealer...

Play nicely with one another. When having issues with a car dealer----- take the gloves off and aim for the crotch, eyes and throat!

In a former life I sold cars for about a year. The level of depravity that some of these "managers" have is truly disgusting. I have no idea how they sleep at night, or look at themselves in the mirror. Dishonesty was rampant at my store------ and we were a Saturn dealer--- people came to us expecting to be treated honestly. Usually they were not.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/13 11:45 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I just think he's not realizing its not a warranty repair.

And you still don't realize that this doesn't matter! If your car gets hit don't they have to use parts that won't void your warranty? Yes, right? (And yes, it is berking yes) So how is this any different? They berkeleyed up, they have to make him whole, that includes the full FACTORY warranty to 60K miles. Honda corporate won't back that without a new one. End of berking discussion.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/27/13 11:56 a.m.

Just tell them to fix it under warranty......the berkeleyer is broken. Derp.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/27/13 12:00 p.m.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/13 12:01 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Lol. Bob is posting from a desk at a large Honda dealer.
Bingo. Been working for Hondar now for almost 9 years. Dealing with warranty and Customer pay as well as wholesale and internet. You can not install a used part and expect Honda to honor the warranty. Honda Corporate will tell you to go fly a kite.

As a longtime dealership employee I echo this and it is not a Honda only thing. It comes up all the time; Gramma buys a car with a 6 year/100k powertrain waranty and drives it into the drink, hydrolocks the motor. Insurance company sez we will supply a boneyard motor. We tell ins co sure, but the remainder of the factory powertrain warranty will no longer be valid and we have to 1) inform the customer of this 2) have the customer's written authorization to install your boneyard motor. Phone goes REAL quiet.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/13 12:19 p.m.

The warranty is either the remainder of the factory warranty or the replacement parts warrany, whichever affords the greater protection. For instance, if the car is 4 years old and has 85,000 miles on it, the 6/100 PT warranty will expire before the 3/36 replacement parts warranty. But the 3/36 warranty will go past the end of the PT warranty ON THE REPLACED PART ONLY! i.e if the engine is replaced it does not extend the warranty on the transmission.

OTOH, if the part is replaced at 6 months/8k miles, the 6year/100k complete powertrain warranty is in effect on the replaced part even past the 3/36 replacement parts warranty.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 12:23 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:

LAWLZORS!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/27/13 12:24 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The warranty is either the remainder of the factory warranty or the replacement parts warrany, whichever affords the greater protection. For instance, if the car is 4 years old and has 85,000 miles on it, the 6/100 PT warranty will expire before the 3/36 replacement parts warranty. But the 3/36 warranty will go past the end of the PT warranty ON THE REPLACED PART ONLY! i.e if the engine is replaced it does not extend the warranty on the transmission. OTOH, if the part is replaced at 6 months/8k miles, the 6year/100k complete powertrain warranty is in effect on the replaced part even past the 3/36 replacement parts warranty.

This.... which I've said over and over and over and over and over and over and....... Some men, you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week.... which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/27/13 12:24 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Wow, I cant believe the dealer is fighting you on a part that anyone can buy for around $1600 ...

NICE! Is that from today?

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rNZv8f80BoUjx9xF43Si3LFWvn1mo0AiUQlDkXb21YVfW69Jj4xNPiErfOUNQmEx