1 ... 11 12 13 14 15
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/28/13 1:52 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to Cotton: Same here. So much BS in this thread it's ridiculous. They screwed up a used trans, you get a used trans. No big deal. Your ONLY concern is the warranty, so if you can back it up with Honda, and get it in writing, you're golden. Honda auto trans are the worst in the biz, but the manuals are fine. In all likelihood you will never have a problem. If you do, you've verified that the warranty is valid. IT'S ONLY A TRANSMISSION. Remove your emotions, and deal with it sensibly.

That's the whole thread, IF he can get official Honda documentation that they'll back up a JUNKYARD TRANS nationwide, sure, whatever, but they never will.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/28/13 1:59 p.m.

Bingo. Honda Corporate are not going to stand behind a used trans.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/13 2:31 p.m.

I'm really shocked at how the dealer is handling this. Every time that I've bought a new Honda (and I've bought a bunch), they mention at delivery that I will be receiving a survey from Honda in a few weeks and they always emphasize that if there might be any reason that I would give the dealership anything other than the most perfect of scores, they wanted to know about it right then and there so they can take care of it. They are clearly terrified of Honda Corporate.

And I'm surprised that Honda isn't moving forward more quickly, too. I've read this whole thing more than once and I still can't remember the dealer's name. But I remember that it's a Honda Fit, same as most people. Then the story changes from "I had a bad experience with E36 M3ty Honda Dealership of Georgia" to "Honda Fits are unreliable". It seems to me that Honda Corporate would want to encourage the dealership to represent the brand to a higher standard.

I really hope that this is resolved soon. I like Mr. Shovel and it bothers me that he has to deal with this. Also, I am totally sick of reading about it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/28/13 2:37 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to Cotton: Same here. So much BS in this thread it's ridiculous. They screwed up a used trans, you get a used trans. No big deal. Your ONLY concern is the warranty, so if you can back it up with Honda, and get it in writing, you're golden. Honda auto trans are the worst in the biz, but the manuals are fine. In all likelihood you will never have a problem. If you do, you've verified that the warranty is valid. IT'S ONLY A TRANSMISSION. Remove your emotions, and deal with it sensibly.

Youre only partially right. They did screw up a used trans - Youre right on that. They do have to correct the mechanical problem - Youre right on that too.

But, they do have make him whole - not just on the trans itself, but the overall car. If the overall car came with a warranty, they cannot void that warranty in the effort to mechanically correct their mistake. In order to KEEP him whole, they must correct the mistake in a manner that leaves the warranty intact, thats "making" (keeping) him whole.

ITS ONLY A TRANSMISSION - the second most mechanically complex system in the car. Its pretty important they get it right, and keep it right.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/28/13 2:49 p.m.

I wouldn't even soeak to the dealer anymore. Just deal with he rep. Btw, love looking fo the "unicorn" when trying to find updates.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/13 3:31 p.m.

There's no used MT Mazda5's within 100 miles of you poopy.

I'd sell ya mine, but I like it too much!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/28/13 4:29 p.m.

Car is done. I'll pick it up tomorrow (HUGE pain in the ass...South then north then further north to work) or Monday...when both the GM and SM will be there. What a pain in the berkeleying ass.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/28/13 4:31 p.m.

Very un-honda like. I hope things work out for you.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/28/13 4:46 p.m.

Poopshovel:

Referring back to "Option 3," making life difficult for the dealer, you can always take them to the BBB, Honda Corporate and the local media for fraudulantly representing the required maintenance. This discussion isn't about a part that failed, and it isn't about a part that they broke, it's about a part that they broke while defrauding their customer. This should be strong leverage.

I don't like the heavy confrontation but I had no choice when I bought the last car (which was from a dealer). After I had exhausted every other option and getting repeated run-around, I calmly, politely and patiently explained exactly how I thought the dealer was lying to me and screwing me, and that the sale would collapse if they didn't do right. It worked that time.

Do you have any attorney friends? Ask if they would, at no charge, write you an official-attorney-letter laying out the facts and how ugly "option 3" will get. A friendly attorney might do this for free, and lawyer letterhead has been known to improve negotiating outcomes. ;-)

I think it helps in any negotiating situation to have other alternative solutions so that you can maybe work around the "line in the sand," in this case the GM absolutely refusing to do a new transmission. OK, what about he buys you an extended, bumper-to-bumper warranty that is accepted nationally at Honda dealers (I assume Honda sells such a thing), and that is backed by Honda >not< him. I also like the concept of the dealership buying your car and selling you a new car at very favorable terms. Either one of these options gets you away from the new versus used transmission debate and gives you something else to talk about besides going nuclear. This gives him a way to save face (always important in negotiating) and also makes you look very reasonable and accomodating, which also helps in negotiation. Also, don't forget to mention to the GM that there are now >fourteen< pages of people following along. :-)

If you end up with the used transmission, make sure the warranty is transferable for when you trade it for a Mazda. :-)

As an aside, just for fun let's assume Poopshovel trades in his Fit on a new one. I think it would be fun to do a daily Googlesearch on the old VIN to see if the dealer discloses the car's history when it goes for sale. I'm guessing they would be required to disclose but given this dealer's actions so far they might not. And mentioning Poopshovel might do this might be additional leverage. Dealer might be able to auction the car as a work-around but I don't think they'd want to do that.

Poopshovel, good luck. I hope you get this worked out. It's a double-bummer when it happens on the car you want to be 100% for your family sake. And I would repeatedly mention the "family car" angle because it should hit a Honda dealer where it counts.

David

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/28/13 5:36 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: A dealer is not required to disclose anything on a used car, and if trading it on a Mazda, I wouldn't advise bringing it up at all. I would also bet if someone buys that car used, and has transmission issues before 60k miles, it would be fixed under warranty. How will that dealer know its been swapped out?

Because if its warranty work, its failure will be entered into a Honda database for engineering reasons, then Honda goes "WTF, this trans DID NOT come from us in this car" hopefully after they put a new one in there and its back in the owners hands.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/28/13 5:42 p.m.
  1. BBB is a bunch of extortionists.
  2. The work is already done.
  3. I've already been in touch with "Honda Corporate," and they were less helpful than the dealer.
  4. The repair will more than likely show up on the carfax in 6-8 weeks.
  5. I don't feel any need to burn bridges or be overly vindictive...yet.
  6. Because zoom-zoom?
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/28/13 5:48 p.m.

You know where to find me- Mazda people are a lot nicer than those shiny happy people at Honda.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/28/13 5:52 p.m.

I have enjoyed the this thread immensly.

"As the Fit Turns"

"Like tranny fluid through a drain plug, this the Repair of Poop's Fit."

"One Fit to Fix"

"The New and the Used...Transmission" (OK that one is a stretch I will stop there.)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/28/13 5:55 p.m.

Here is a trick that has been done to me. (This really escalates your dick level BTW) Go to the dealership on Monday. Call the next closest Honda Dealership. Give them your VIN number and tell them your car is jumping out of third gear and see if it is under warranty from them. Do it in-front of the SM and GM. Then call A.H. and ask them the same question.

I would also ask about what corrective actions have been done in the service department about selling unneeded service. I would call A.H. and ask their stance on the same thing.

In the end you have an opportunity to have some fun while doing them a service that seems to need to be done. DON'T SELL UN-NEEDED WORK!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/13 7:45 p.m.

Downshift had a great point. Tell them you'll take the 100k warranty, as long as it's a HondaCare warranty. It'll give you coverage for 7 years from the initial purchase date or to 100k, which ever comes first. And the best part is that they're good at any Honda dealer...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/29/13 12:34 p.m.

Work is already done. Honda isn't covering E36 M3.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/29/13 3:38 p.m.

Man that sucks, enjoy the Mazda.

Wish it was better for you but everyone in GA on here will pass the word on the dealership, they have no idea how many of us will pass the word,

Do you have the GM's email, I would be happy to advise him of his error?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/29/13 5:21 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Work is already done. Honda isn't covering E36 M3.

damn dude that sucks.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/13 5:34 p.m.

wow.. what a way to drop the ball.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/29/13 6:01 p.m.

I'm still waiting on the GM to make me this "Deal of the century" offer. Steady as she goes, boys. Driving the car to make sure everything is everything is the first order of business. Headed down monday.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
6/29/13 6:10 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I'm still waiting on the GM to make me this "Deal of the century" offer. Steady as she goes, boys. Driving the car to make sure everything is everything is the first order of business. Headed down monday.

You are going back to Ben Dover Honda ?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/29/13 6:25 p.m.

Look at it this way, if they make you an awesome deal on a new fit, you get a new car with a full warranty that is accepted anywhere. Then you never have to deal with these jokers again.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/29/13 6:45 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I'm still waiting on the GM to make me this "Deal of the century" offer. Steady as she goes, boys. Driving the car to make sure everything is everything is the first order of business. Headed down monday.
You are going back to Ben Dover Honda ?

Umm, I do need to pick up my car and drop off the rental.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/29/13 6:47 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Look at it this way, if they make you an awesome deal on a new fit, you get a new car with a full warranty that is accepted anywhere. Then you never have to deal with these jokers again.

Exactly. Per DATSUN1500's suggestion! (Thought I'd throw him a bone.) 'Sall good.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/30/13 2:04 a.m.

If you do get the Mazda, I say go back to Dry Fisting Honda, and do a big, fat smokey burnout, right out front.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qtdaBp8cGAvugcNRBJJcN1Go5oHVBl2BGLwtXUh7hqzA1oBQXzRlZuQLYzhsB7aO