stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/25/22 5:16 p.m.

I know it's a cheap, flimsy car, but I'm thinking sedans and found this.  Seems like about double what it should be worth...

Honsch
Honsch Reader
8/25/22 5:24 p.m.

Having worked on these cars a lot, $5K is at least 5x what it's worth.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/25/22 5:48 p.m.

Idk, I would seriously think about picking that up if they were willing to pay me $5000.

Wait they want YOU to pay $5000?! 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/25/22 6:27 p.m.

With almost 200K on it I would have to agree, seriously overpriced. You can always make them an offer.

I would like one of the little 2 dr wagons tho! Either this or the Audi version....

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/22 6:41 p.m.

I don't remember the last time I saw one of them in decent, drivable condition.  Maybe at Carlisle. 

Never hurts to ask for the moon and come down in price if it doesn't sell - he might find some nostalgic past owner who wants to relive their youth and has money to burn.  

I remember these at the VW/Subaru dealer when my mother bought her 1985 GL wagon.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/25/22 6:45 p.m.

Weren't they like $4990 brand new?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/22 6:47 p.m.
MiniDave said:

With almost 200K on it I would have to agree, seriously overpriced. You can always make them an offer.

I would like one of the little 2 dr wagons tho! Either this or the Audi version....

There was no Audi version.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/22 8:13 p.m.

These are weird, old cars now.

I would not pay that much either.

And shares a name only, Audi Fox

Honsch
Honsch Reader
8/25/22 9:38 p.m.
MiniDave said:

I would like one of the little 2 dr wagons tho!

The wagons are awesome race cars, once you remove all the VW stuff inside.
This one we paid $250 for.  It had "a little rust."  There were fist sized holes in structural members that were covered up by the factory undercoat.  Looked good when we inspected under the car, then it spent months on a rotisserie while we stripped all undercoat off to find the massive extent of the rust, which I patched up.
When he says it has "a little rust" my eye starts twitching.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/26/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Honsch :

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/26/22 12:19 p.m.

Or "rust free", which simply means they're not charging for it!

I know the Audi Fox and VW Fox were different cars and I would prefer the VW as it's smaller, but Audi did make a Fox wagon, I worked for Audi when these came out and I remember them well.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/26/22 2:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Weren't they like $4990 brand new?

That's what I was thinking, Wasn't $5000 full retail when it was new?  wait I stand corrected they wanted $7200 for them new... good lord.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jvDCnxMsvexwBQNCaQoca0BRD9HwNy5MXmtwjZby7jKY03qVCW6yeQ5IAazOIfH