1 2 3 4 5
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/30/21 9:26 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

So, usual GM rust underneath, hidden by a body that was reasonably well rustproofed?

Yes.  You are spot on.  

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
12/30/21 10:12 p.m.

Another vote for minivan. Great for long haul trips and  easy to sleep in. I think it depends on what we mean by "light off roading". I threw a set of BFG K02s on Ms Raab's 2015 Sentra just for fun and took it down some dirt two-tracks and a few steep-ish gravel grades. It handled it without too much drama. With that being said if light off roading includes even moderate amounts of mud, obstacles, or sand, I'd want something with selectable 4wd and decent clearance. In that case, my vote goes to a GMT800 Tahoe. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/21 10:40 p.m.

2008 sequoia owner and I can fit a queen blow up mattress in the back. Also very comfy to road trip. amazing turning radius. Terrible gas mileage but reliable as a plumb bob. 

Honestly though, a 2500 suburban seems to be the correct tool for this job. Would be much cheaper than a sequoia I would think with a bit more reliability concerns.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/21 11:23 p.m.

Get an excursion. They retain their value and still have lots of sources for running parts. Massive cargo space and do very well on road trips. I miss mine. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/31/21 8:02 a.m.

While a minivan is great to sleep in (I've done it multiple times in a Grand Caravan I used to have), it's not going to cut it for what I want.  I figure in the Colorado Rockies, some of the "roads" I'll be on are going to be rutted, and since I'll likely be there in May, there's a reasonable chance at at least some mud.  Also, if I wander down to Joshua Tree, I know there are roads there that require 4x4s.  While I am reasonably certain they could be managed with a FWD vehicle with more ground clearance than an Abarth, I don't really want to get ticketed by a park ranger.  I would assume some other national parks have trails like that, too.

Suburban and Excursion are possible, and I am sure they would eat up the highway miles really well, I still would prefer not to go for that much overkill, size wise.  Not to mention, I think wae's Excursion makes a Suburban look like a Prius when it comes to fuel consumption.  Good to know the Sequoia may be sufficient, if I can find one that isn't a rustbucket.  I'm keeping in mind I'll likely be just sleeping in it 2-3 nights at a row max, and more likely to have some single nights camping in it before hitting a hotel.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
12/31/21 8:47 a.m.

I thought I'd chime in, since the Grand Cherokee was one of your original candidates, and we just returned from 4600 miles on the road (AZ-PA and back) with ours.   We bought it new in Jan 2021, so it might be a little newer than you're looking for, but we've put 17000 miles on it in 11 months including two cross country road trips so I have an idea what it's like on the road.  We also tow it behind our truck/camper, and that mileage doesn't include it's time as a 'toad'.  The GC hasn't been changed much for the last few years so you can probably find one several years old that is the same basic vehicle.

And on the road, it's very good.  80mph all day long is no problem, and our V6 will return 18-21mpg depending on wind and grades.  Slow down to 65-70, and we've seen 24 mpg across a full tank.  And the tank is 25 gallons... makes for great flexibility in fuel stops.  It's plenty comfortable, though not as roomy as our RAM 3500.  We routinely do 600-800 miles a day when we're on the road with it.  We were able to pack for two and a dog for two weeks including Christmas presents, so it should be plenty of space for one.  Can't speak to sleeping in it, as I've never tried, but the back seats fold flat.  Wouldn't be spacious, but you could probably make it work.

Ours is a Trailhawk, and it's plenty capable off road.  We drove all over the back country of Capitol Reef NP in September, and it went everywhere we wanted it to, including a few rough spots where four wheel low was a good thing to have.  The Trailhawk allows you to raise the suspension up to 3 inches off road, and that came in handy.

For us, the GC was a replacement for my wife's DD so it had to be a 'nice' car, but it was also a replacement for our OBS Bronco so it had to work off road and in winter weather and be flat towable behind our truck.  I have to say I have been very satisfied with it for our first year.

wae
wae UberDork
12/31/21 9:00 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Has anyone suggested one of those Quigley 4x4 converted E150 vans yet?  My understanding is that they're actual off-road capable on the outside and regular van-like on the inside.  A stock E150 is slightly better than the Excursion on fuel consumption, but not sure what adding the 4x4 gear does to that.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/31/21 9:15 a.m.

A few thoughts:

1. Full-size van. No 4x4 in your price range, but plenty of clearance and wouldn't have a problem with what you're trying to do. Extremely comfy to camp in, and you're guaranteed to not lose money as they don't depreciate. If you improve it at all, including adding camping gear, you'll make money.

2. Isuzu Trooper. All the capabilities of a Toyota without the markup. Also has better/stronger driveline and articulation. They're 6' from rear door to driver's seat, and the seats fold down into a bed. Choose an early V6 for easy parts availability (it's a GM V6 and automatic) or choose a second-gen for more comfort and 5000 pound tow rating. 

No matter what you buy, fly south and buy it where there's no rust. That's another way to make sure you don't lose money, and everything you're shopping for will rust enthusiastically up north. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/31/21 9:24 a.m.

I'd love a Quigley, and have been keeping my eyes out.  Even pre-pandemic, the van-lifer trend has caused them to skyrocket in price.  Still, it is something I will be keeping an eye out for, despite the horrendous mileage.

One thought I had regarding space, because this was something had been planning on doing for the Mazda5 at some point.  I could build a slightly raised hinged (or two piece) platform, that could flip to full length when the front seat is folded forward some.  That way, on the road, the front passenger seat could be used normally if need be, and at night it could be long enough for me to stretch out.  I am not claustrophobic, so having the ceiling a little closer to my face shouldn't be a problem.  Too bad there isn't a 4WD drive, lifted version of the Honda Fit.  The magic seats on those are awesome.

It is likely my wife would join me for parts of these trips, just not for the nights I camp out.  She requires heat and running water.  That's why I need to have the front passenger seat usable during the day.

demnted
demnted New Reader
12/31/21 9:29 a.m.

If Isuzu is an option, early Rodeo gm 2.8/ 3.1 can be found with 5 speed

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/21 10:09 a.m.

I know you said you wanted to sleep in the vehicle, but what about a slightly smaller SUV/Offroader with an overlanding type roof tent?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/31/21 11:08 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

I know you said you wanted to sleep in the vehicle, but what about a slightly smaller SUV/Offroader with an overlanding type roof tent?

It's a possibility.  It would eliminate the option for stealth camping, but I am not 100% sure I'd be doing that anyway

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/31/21 11:27 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Too bad there isn't a 4WD drive, lifted version of the Honda Fit.  The magic seats on those are awesome.

Honda Element? Maybe one with the e camper?

https://www.elementownersclub.com/threads/2005-honda-element-ex-ecamper-awd-97-000-miles-14-500.168655/

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/21/22 11:57 a.m.

Well, my timeline just got pushed up.  Rallycross season begins in May, and the events are too far away to drive the race car.  I may also be towing a challenge car in the fall.  I think a 3500 lb rating will be fine.  I have also double checked rules for driving on some trails in national parks, and yes, there are 4WD only roads I want to go on, including some that require a "high-clearance" vehicle.  On my list at this point are the following:

Most interested:

• GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon
  • Toyota Sequoia
  • GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon (new enough to be multiport fuel injection)
  • Ford Expedition (old enough to have a 2V modular engine)

Somewhat interested:

• GMT800 Pickups with either standard cab/8' bed or extended cab/6.5' bed.  I figure a truck cap would work for camping, but I would assume these will be more expensive than an equivalent Tahoe.
  • Trailblazer/Envoy/etc extended wheelbase- Sounds like I'd need to be extra careful about getting one in good shape, but still expect there might be problems.
  • Ford Explorer (old enough to have a 2V modular engine)
  • Suburban - Seems like massive overkill, but if a really good deal comes up, what the heck.
  • EDIT - Lexus GX.  Forgot to put these on when I wrote the post, but I've noticed they seem to have gone up in value in the pandemic more than a lot of other options.

Dark horses:

• 2nd gen Blazer/Jimmy - small, would require some creative construction to make a long enough sleeping platform.  But, having been tearing into my S10 for years now, at least I'm familiar with them mechanically.
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee - same space issues with the Blazer, but nicer ride.  Reliability is a concern.
  • Mitsubishi Montero/Isuzu Trooper - Orphaned, so I'm a little worried about being able to get them repaired on short notice.
  • Excursion - Like the Suburban, it's just bigger than I want.
  • EDIT - Also, older Pathfinder/QX4/Armada, forgot to put these on the list.

I really don't want to consider this, but with the rather large number of cars I already have, and the fact that I work from home, I may need to consider trading in/selling the Mazda5, and spending more money.  Really don't want to do that, though, it's proven to be one of my favorite cars.

Anything I am missing?   Anyone selling something like it?  I'll be posting a WTB in the for sale forum.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/22 11:59 a.m.

I have strong opinions about V8 Explorers.  I like the 4.0 much better.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/21/22 12:27 p.m.

All I can say is GC's have been exploring the American west for a long time. Are they the perfect vehicle? No but they meet all of your requirements dead on.

Of course, I still see an older Armada as the king of the cross over for what you want to do. Good size to sleep in. Strong V8 to tow with. Cheap because people think they are not as good. (but they are) The only negative is fuel economy but it is a big V8. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/21/22 12:27 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Doesn't the 4.0 have a timing chain and failure prone tensioners at the back of the block?  Or am I thinking of something else?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/21/22 12:39 p.m.

Another orphan and unlike the Sequoia and Expedition, off everyone's watch lists...  Suzuki XL-7, the stretch Chevy Tracker V6 

Sample looking cool with a little lift

Another

Very offroad capable but very overlooked.  

Make note: not all were 4wd.  Standard was just 2wd/rwd so if you see one really cheap then verify it is 4wd.  They even offered a 4wd and manual trans.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/22 1:23 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Doesn't the 4.0 have a timing chain and failure prone tensioners at the back of the block?  Or am I thinking of something else?

The SOHC had timing chains and tensioners at BOTH ends of the block.

I like the OHV.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/22 2:00 p.m.

If the original post didn't have a 1995 cutoff date ...  I drove a 1996 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 250,000 miles towing a race trailer in comfort.  Basically other than oil and brakes, changed the plugs every 100,000.

Currently own a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 with over 150,000.  Not only high and low ranges, but you can lock it in all 4 wheel drive.  We've done everything we wanted to do in Moab.  And, one can actually dive it comfortably 500 miles a day.   Probably soon to slip into unicorn status.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/22 8:39 a.m.

It tickles me that people ask what SUV or truck and GRM-folks recommend a minivan. Stop this madness. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/22 12:32 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I'd love a Quigley, and have been keeping my eyes out.  Even pre-pandemic, the van-lifer trend has caused them to skyrocket in price.  Still, it is something I will be keeping an eye out for, despite the horrendous mileage.

One thought I had regarding space, because this was something had been planning on doing for the Mazda5 at some point.  I could build a slightly raised hinged (or two piece) platform, that could flip to full length when the front seat is folded forward some.  That way, on the road, the front passenger seat could be used normally if need be, and at night it could be long enough for me to stretch out.  I am not claustrophobic, so having the ceiling a little closer to my face shouldn't be a problem.  Too bad there isn't a 4WD drive, lifted version of the Honda Fit.  The magic seats on those are awesome.

It is likely my wife would join me for parts of these trips, just not for the nights I camp out.  She requires heat and running water.  That's why I need to have the front passenger seat usable during the day.

I've heard from several sources that a 4X2 converted via a U-Joint Off-Road kit is far superior to a Quigley.  Seems UJoint got the geometry figured out and they drive better.  You can easily spot a U-Joint because the front axle sits out about an inch or two forward.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/22/22 2:10 p.m.

Hmm, I just got the bug in me for a Volvo XC90 for some reason. Any chance those would work for you? The affordable ones only get about 19mpg highway so it's not great. They're a FWD platform with a pinion gear for AWD so probably not good at off roading, but dirt and gravel would be fine. They're pretty, in my opinion, with nice interiors. The lighter color leather seats tend to fall apart with use but black or dark gray hold up well.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
2/22/22 2:44 p.m.

They do make a lifted AWD version of the Fit, it's called the HRV, made on the Fit platform. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/22/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Didn't realize it could be had as AWD.  Don't think I'd trust Honda style-AWD for the places I want to go, though.  Would rather have actual 4WD as an option.

In reply to dculberson :

Maybe I shouldn't, but I reflexively recoil from the idea of owning anything European that I intend to use in an "appliance-ish" role.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wGq10jEW2c6vgTux677VfrXNNsVfeZmquKCIR78iRC18vsUFPUNcCbzSdmqEZczU