1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/7/19 6:08 a.m.

SUVs and CUVs are everywhere.  They also range from "useless tall Corolla" to "truck with a box on it" to "just a lifted wagon" in general construction.  Which ones have the engine pointing the right way?  Bonus points for RWD, zillions of points for manual transmissions and reasonable weight.  The Infiniti FX series comes to mind, and people have swapped manual transmissions into them, but I'm sure you guys can come up with all sorts of silly garbage.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/7/19 6:12 a.m.

Edit: (Rav4 comment based on bad pic from evilbay)

Isuzu Axiom, Ascender, Trooper, Rodeo, Amigo, and the Honda Passport. 

S10, Envoy, Trailblazer, Bronco, Bronco 2, Ramcharger, Suburban,  etc...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/19 6:18 a.m.

Kia Sorento offered a 3.5L V6 with manual trans and just rwd. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/19 6:18 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

Earlier Rav4s had the engine going the right way,  iirc.

Every one I've seen was transverse.

The only longitudinal small SUVs that I can think of are the first generation Sportage, and the Sidekick/XL7.  And, of course, the Foresters, before they turned into mid sized SUVs.

My line of thinking is that the cutoff for "small" ends around the point of the original S10 Blazer.  More of a tall wagon version of a compact car than an actual truck.  Interestingly, the XL7 may actually fail this metric.  And the Sidekick is a body on frame design, so it may be small but it is not particularly light.

TJL
TJL Reader
2/7/19 6:21 a.m.

Not exactly sporty or recent, but the suzuki samurai and sidekick/geo tracker. Longitudinal, manual option and real frame(if i remember right). Probably reasonable weight. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/7/19 6:36 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Kia Sorento offered a 3.5L V6 with manual trans and just rwd. 

wait, what?  year?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/19 6:43 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

The Sorento had the DOHC version of the 6G engine, too!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/7/19 6:44 a.m.

All of the BMW SUVs

sleepyhead
2/7/19 6:52 a.m.

re:Sorento...

looks like 2002-2009

and like the similar vintage Pathfinder/Frontier is double wishbone too

{scratches goatee}  hrrmmm

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
2/7/19 6:54 a.m.

If the Infiniti FX is the size we're considering then:

Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and both generations of Liberty

GM- Trailblazer/Envoy/9-7x/Ascent/Bravada/Ranier

BMW X5

Jaguar F-Pace

MB GL series

Land Rover/Range Rover

Porsche- Cayenne and Macan

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/7/19 7:05 a.m.

Easy button is an LS 9Trailvoycentdaier-7X.  Already built with a 5.3 or a 6.0 from the factory, TBSS was available RWD so good RWD suspension parts.  SSR was available with a manual trans and used the same underpinnings so the manual trans parts are out there already.  EFI Live can set up the stock computer to run a wild V8 and manual trans easy peasy.  

Won't take long, it will just cost money.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/19 7:11 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

re:Sorento...

looks like 2002-2009

and like the similar vintage Pathfinder/Frontier is double wishbone too

{scratches goatee}  hrrmmm

Sample 1

Sample 2

Probably easiest visual clue is the lack of fog lights in this otherwise entry level trim.  

But... be forewarned of mpg rating of 15/16/19

sleepyhead
2/7/19 8:10 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

also dug a smidge deeper, and realized the rear is a stick axle... so maybe better for DragWeek than some other more twisty-turny challenging events

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/7/19 8:12 a.m.

Had no idea about the Sorento- defnitely the most surprising in this thread!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/7/19 8:13 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to John Welsh :

also dug a smidge deeper, and realized the rear is a stick axle... so maybe better for DragWeek than some other more twisty-turny challenging events

Most of the stuff in this thread is way too tall to be used for twisty-turny stuff.  

I would image the BMW and FX stuff would be best.  FX has ~1:1 height vs track width from the factory.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/7/19 8:22 a.m.

Sorento 02-05 was the E36 M3ty 3.5L that was better used as a one time boat anchor. the 06-09 were the 3.8 Lambda's that are awesome. God those 3.5's were E36 M3 motors. V8 fuel economy and 4cyl power. 

Also the Suzuki Grand VItara from 99-they left were all longitudinal and that little 2.5/2.7V6 was nice. bonus for manual trans and rwd only options. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/19 8:30 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/7/19 8:35 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Sorento 02-05 was the E36 M3ty 3.5L that was better used as a one time boat anchor. the 06-09 were the 3.8 Lambda's that are awesome. God those 3.5's were E36 M3 motors. V8 fuel economy and 4cyl power. 

Also the Suzuki Grand VItara from 99-they left were all longitudinal and that little 2.5/2.7V6 was nice. bonus for manual trans and rwd only options. 

Looks like the later 3.8L did not offer a factory manual trans (at least in the US.)  

Could a 3.5L be swapped for the 3.8L and still accept the manual trans?  

or...just LSx swap!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/7/19 8:45 a.m.

The only CUV models I can think of would be a 1/2/3 gen 4Runner or the 80's and 90's Cherokee or Grand Cherokee - SUV's of their era, but more like a CUV by today's standards. 

rothwem
rothwem New Reader
2/7/19 9:05 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
sleepyhead said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Most of the stuff in this thread is way too tall to be used for twisty-turny stuff.  

I would image the BMW and FX stuff would be best.  FX has ~1:1 height vs track width from the factory.

The BMW SUVs came with manuals in the E53 and E83 versions of the X5 and X3.  

I've got an E83, its a nice driving vehicle.  Its basically a lifted E46 with an E60 front end.  Its a lot sportier than it has any right to be given its 66" height and 60" track width.  My E91s definitely were better handlers, but the E83 does a really nice job on unpaved roads. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/7/19 9:07 a.m.

Easy button is an early Cayenne Turbo. Huge performance potential right out of the box, decent  examples can be had from $10K. Way more athletic than the SUV/CUVs you'll find with a manual transmission.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/7/19 9:12 a.m.

Audi Allroad had twin turbo V6 mounted longitudinaly, available 6 speed manual, and an excellent AWD system.

therieldeal
therieldeal New Reader
2/7/19 10:11 a.m.

Came here to mention the early Kia Sportage.  I see it was already mentioned so I will throw in… those cars had a detuned version of the Mazda FE3/FE-DOHC engine.  Might even be pretty fun if you took some time to spice things up…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_FE-DOHC_engine

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/7/19 10:18 a.m.
Ian F said:

The only CUV models I can think of would be a 1/2/3 gen 4Runner or the 80's and 90's Cherokee or Grand Cherokee - SUV's of their era, but more like a CUV by today's standards. 

You take that back. Those things were proper SUVs, not this new crop of fat car abominations. Please.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/7/19 10:30 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Ian F said:

You take that back. Those things were proper SUVs, not this new crop of fat car abominations. Please.

I meant more by physical size standards. SUVs of 20+ years ago are similar in size to CUVs of today.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gAuIIZ9aLSG388vRoXqwOYMoeacmmXG9m8KbkSfDLAkwEgan1wehhtgRz0aWUXFd