1 2
jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
8/21/09 11:40 a.m.

Main question is how much extra weight would it be over a regular paint job or is it about the same?

And general thoughts from the GRM crowd.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/09 12:27 p.m.

Call a Rhino Liner place and ask about the weight. They can apply it in different thicknesses depending on the protection you need.

We used Line-X on our Westfield. A thin layer inside the wheel wells to protect the fenders from high speed rocks and a patch on the front of the rear fenders to protect them from other flying rocks. It came out really well, although this picture doesn't show it off well. It added no discernible weight.

alex
alex HalfDork
8/21/09 12:30 p.m.

Don't get it on your hootus!

Somebody was gonna say it, might as well be me.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
8/21/09 12:41 p.m.

I saw a mid-80's F-150 the other day that was painted with bedliner...the whole truck. Looked like a well executed job but the net effect was disappointing. Because of the way light reflected from the coating, it looked blotchy even though it wasn't.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
8/21/09 12:45 p.m.

a guy in arizona did his A4 in bedliner, he said he used 2 smallish cans (1/2 gal?) and they didnt weigh much, if any more than paint of the same amount

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/21/09 12:47 p.m.

I want to do an entire jeep body tub in rhino

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/21/09 12:48 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I want to do an entire jeep body tub in rhino

This I like. Course I wanted to do the same to my Jeep. IMO depends on the vehicle.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/21/09 1:13 p.m.

I had Rhino Liner put in the bed in my pickup. While I was there I looked at a sample piece they had laying on the counter, it was basically a 2' x 2' square of sheet plastic with the Rhino Liner sprayed on it. It was about the size and shape of a heavy duty truck mudflap, and it weighed at least as much as one.

Unless you put on a very thin coating, I think it will add a significant amount of weight.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
8/21/09 1:37 p.m.

My main reason for considering it is it seems it would have a good rat rod effect and it would hide imperfections in DIY body work.

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
8/21/09 1:37 p.m.

A couple of my early bronco buddies have done it - not that they would notice an extra 50 or 100 lbs on a 4,000 lbs trail truck. Collects dust like crazy. A few strategic spots might be good like Keith's Westfield . Unless you're doing brown or like washing your car 2x/day I wouldn't do a whole car.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
8/21/09 2:09 p.m.

I hate the idea, and can't imagine it looking like anything other then A$$. And you not be able to go back if you don't like it or don't do a good job. I wanted to do the inside of my old Jeep, but never got around to it.

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
8/21/09 2:26 p.m.

This guy did his golf with tintable bedliner.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4396877

The effect actually looks alright. Here's another guy who did his FJ Cruiser

http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=4396877&page=6

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/21/09 3:26 p.m.

I think it looks good on trucks and jeeps but it looks like ass on a car. I did like the patches of it on the westfield though.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/21/09 3:30 p.m.

I'd do it on my jeep, I just don't want to spend more "protecting" it than I did on the whole thing.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
8/21/09 3:39 p.m.

I have no problems about completely Line-X-ing a Jeep,LandCruiser,cut fendered Early Bronco, Land Rover or even an Eagle.

A whole car though?....probably not.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
8/21/09 4:13 p.m.

Discussed a little earlier, including a pic of my buddy's flame bedliner job:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/bedlined-audi/4224/page2/

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/09 4:22 p.m.

I thought about doing the floor and under trunk of my fiat. Just to protect that little extra bit of the car.

Anybody try using it as undercoating?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/21/09 4:24 p.m.

I've seen a Harley dresser painted completely in it. Different, to say the least, and I guess he didn't worry about scratches.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/21/09 4:32 p.m.

Did the inside of my Jeep tub with herculiner. I like it. Used less than a gallon, and the can weighed ~10#.

pres589
pres589 Reader
8/21/09 5:11 p.m.

There are guys in the DIY audio world using bed liner as a "paint" for speaker cabinets, and I'm talking home or PA use, not trunk subs but stuff you'd actually look at often. From what I read about it there, there are ways to spray it so it comes off with very little texture and almost looks like a semi-gloss. If that could be done I'd be more likely to do it (not like I have any projects coming up, just speaking in general). I definitely like the idea of using it in high-impact areas like the rear fender of that Westie or maybe low on the doors & rockers to reduce chipping from rocks, but I'd still want to try and get a smooth finish I think.

pres589
pres589 Reader
8/21/09 5:18 p.m.

Also, that GTI that was linked too looks pretty good! Too bad it's on VWVortex so there's all the terrible commenting to sift through.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/09 7:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Anybody try using it as undercoating?

I used Herculiner on the rockers of my Sidekick, but on the Tempest I used the Rustoleum spray-on bedliner for undercoating & really liked the result! I can post a pic from work next week.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
8/21/09 7:41 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Main question is how much extra weight would it be over a regular paint job or is it about the same? And general thoughts from the GRM crowd.

You wanna paint a whole car in it? And people though I was weird because I want to polish my Miata hood......

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
8/21/09 7:44 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've seen a Harley dresser painted completely in it. Different, to say the least, and I guess he didn't worry about scratches.

That thought had crossed my mind.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/21/09 10:07 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I thought about doing the floor and under trunk of my fiat. Just to protect that little extra bit of the car. Anybody try using it as undercoating?

Flipping channels one time I did come across some car show that was using it as an undercoat on one of their projects. They said it worked pretty well and were able to save some weight on sound deadening. YMMV

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S1yPZozdThFQPos2WS62JUaW1QF4HXIcbuhZvsftG2I4KXL7axragxAr0ouNqroM