1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/4/13 11:42 a.m.

Having a small problem with the power steering pump turning to crap on our trip from California to Montana in our Shelby Mustang.

I am stopping for Thurs and Friday nights in Coeur d'Alene and am looking for a good shop that could help me change power steering pumps, so I don't have to do it in a hotel parking lot. Getting too old for that crap!

Anyone know anyone in that area that can be trusted? Thanks

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 11:43 a.m.

I have some steel customers out there and in Spokane if all else fails.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/13 11:51 a.m.

I would give The Fox Shoppe a call and see if they know anyone in the area:

The Fox Shoppe 4225 Cully Blvd. Portland, Oregon 97218 (503) 358-8656

They are open from 9:00am - 5:00pm

https://www.facebook.com/thefoxshoppe

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/13 12:15 p.m.

Resisting the urge to give you crap about having a power steering pump in a Shelby Mustang...

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/4/13 12:34 p.m.

Yeah, Woody, we are considering just cutting the belt, but since Mr. Man's rotator cuff surgery last year, he gets a lil sore if he works the shoulder too hard, and we've been on a lot of switchback roads this week. Expect more next week on the Going To The Sun rally. Still, definitely a first-world problem :-)

Margie

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
9/4/13 12:42 p.m.

No help here, but if there are no pictures......this didn't happen!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/4/13 12:48 p.m.

My dad has a shop there (in CDA) called Flat Top Industries. Call Jaimie. I'm sure he'd be able to help. If you're heading east on 90 out of ID, you'll be glad to have the power steering. Great stretch of interstate. Bryce

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/4/13 12:50 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Yeah, Woody, we are considering just cutting the belt, but since Mr. Man's rotator cuff surgery last year, he gets a lil sore if he works the shoulder too hard, and we've been on a lot of switchback roads this week. Expect more next week on the Going To The Sun rally. Still, definitely a first-world problem :-) Margie

Cutting the belt will result in almost impossibly hard steering, much worse than the same car with manual steering, but I'm sure you know that. You'll also have a ton of play in the steering via the control valve if you do that. Not recommended.
BTW, I'm looking at rotator cuff surgery in my near future. It sounds like it didn't quite do the trick?

Flattop
Flattop New Reader
9/4/13 2:29 p.m.

I can help you out. Jaimie Nash. Flat Top Industries facebook for a map and contact info. Hope I can help you. Do you have a pump. Text me of you need. Good luck.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/4/13 2:39 p.m.
Flattop wrote: I can help you out. Call me at ***-***-****. Jaimie Nash. getbentspammers@gmail.com . Flat Top Industries facebook for a map. Hope I can help you. Do you have a pump. Text me of you need. Good luck.

once you've been contacted, I'd edit out the e-mail and phone number, unless you like span.

Flattop
Flattop New Reader
9/4/13 4:58 p.m.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have not heard from them so maybe they have it under control.In reply to DrBoost:

Flattop
Flattop New Reader
9/4/13 5:07 p.m.

Call me. My info is at https://www.facebook.com/FlatTopIndustries. Bryce Nash is my oldest son. if he says you need help I have your back. will be at your disposal and recommend the fun spots. Jaimie Nash. In reply to Tim Suddard:

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/4/13 5:16 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: once you've been contacted, I'd edit out the e-mail and phone number, unless you like span.

Who likes span? Nobody likes span. I HATE span.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/13 5:22 p.m.

I love my spanners. I'd be less Grassroots without them.

p.s.: Good luck with the pump

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
9/4/13 5:23 p.m.

First: Has the pump actually quit or started leaking? If its only howling, I'd call that normal for a Ford of that age.

Second: Does that thing still have the crude old Ford system with the accessory ram tied to the linkage? If so, and cutting the belt leaves the steering too stiff, remove the ram and you are back to manual steering.

Having said that, as long as you can find the tool to remove and install the pulley, which is likely a press fit, the pumps are pretty generic. Downside, the reman units are all E36 M3. I have had such bad luck with reman steering pumps and boxes at the shop that I install used whenever I can.

I'm only about 12 hours northeast of you, if that helps.

Schump
Schump New Reader
9/4/13 6:03 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Find the right doctor. Get a 3rd opinion. Find the right hospital as well. I was at the Red Roof Sinai Inn & Hospital in Ghettoland N Baltimore because after seeing 3 docs, the 3rd said, "on a scale of 1-10, your knee is a 10. I can't fix it. Go see Dr Mont, he can fix it." A great doctor, no doubt, but I had a tech sneeze into her hands then give me an IV without bothering to sanitize or wash her hands. I was so aghast and out of breath I couldn't stop her. So although Dr Mont was the head of his department and had sheiks flying in to get their body parts fixed/replaced, Sinai was by far the worst hospital I've ever been to.

Look up not only your doctor but his/her hospital(s) and their record as well as their practice. I got MRSA and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Twas by far the worst year of my life. No need to go into gory details but in the end, my favorite doctor of my entire life is Dr Mont's sidekick, Dr Nace did some of my surgeries. He's my age (36) and he re-replaced my knee with Mont looking on and perhaps helping as he was probably also doing another surgery at the same time. The computers they used help keep it aligned properly but in the end, I wouldn't do it again. I can no extend my knee to 0 degrees and used to only get it to ~25 degrees fr excessive scar tissue and it usually no longer hurts to walk, but I've never been so afraid in my life.

I've talked to others who had their joints worked on in the sticks and now need to be fixed again. The lady in my pre-surgery class came up from the very SW tip of VA to get her hip re-replaced. My friend had his shoulder "repaired" after he had messed it up playing too much volleyball. He wished he hadn't had surgery. A bad doctor or the doc had a bad day or bad luck or other, I don't know. I don't think he got a 2nd opinion but not positive.

Good luck

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/4/13 6:09 p.m.

Wow, that is a surprisingly and oddly coherent and yet completely irrelevant canoe.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/4/13 6:10 p.m.

reported already

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/4/13 6:21 p.m.
Ojala wrote: Wow, that is a surprisingly and oddly coherent and yet completely irrelevant canoe.

I think he actually was commenting on the rotator cuff surgery that Braven comment on. But without quoting, it looks like a huge canoe not selling anything floating down this thread.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/4/13 6:52 p.m.

LMAO that was one slick canoe, Good luck with the P/S pump and keep us up to date!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/4/13 6:59 p.m.

I'm sort of going to be upset if Tim and Margie don't drop in on Flattop!! That's pretty crazy support. I'm going to make a point of keeping my smartphone on me in my travels to enlist this kind of help.

So cool.

Schump
Schump New Reader
9/4/13 7:40 p.m.

Tim, Let me know if you still need help however it seems you've already found friends in these parts. I'm pretty sure my friend Jimmy Z still lives there so he should be able to provide recommendations. Plus he's a hotel manager, so you might even be staying at "his" hotel. Let me know if you still need help. Good luck! Dave Schumpert

(I talked to you via email a few times about life, liberty, and the pursuit of fast cars, working joints and meeting you @ Hershey...you were about to have surgery I think. Then I forgot about it till it was 3 weeks after. Ooops. See you soon enough. I met your wife and Hunter there several years ago, 2007 or 2008.)

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/4/13 8:03 p.m.
Ojala wrote: Wow, that is a surprisingly and oddly coherent and yet completely irrelevant canoe.

his 15th post ... don't think he's a canoe

dabird
dabird Reader
9/4/13 8:44 p.m.

Our bands van broke down in Coeur D'Alene back in the late 90's. I did some googling and I'm pretty sure the shop the fixed it was Cooks Automotive. The guy told us where to go and cliff dive until the van was ready, drove down and picked us up when the van was fixed and when he found out we were a band on tour. he wouldn't take any money from us. He also fixed out broken door handle and changed the transmission fluid in our van ... all for free. One of the coolest dudes i've ever met. Like I said I think it was cook's just based on google street view but it's possible i'm wrong.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/4/13 8:55 p.m.

We're getting to Idaho late tomorrow. Just got off the road today, and calling Bryce's dad is the 2nd order of business. (Showers were first, because the A/C declined to work today, and it was a toasty one.) Thanks everyone, esp. Nashes!

The cut belt was a last-ditch solution we liked to consider because hey, we could still keep going, but the pump healed up some today thanks to some mystery juice from Lucas that Rennie suggested.

As for the rotator cuff surgery, do it. He's back to nearly 100% after an almost total separation, but does still have some soreness after he works it hard. Key seems to be sticking to the letter of th PT regimen.

Margie

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GjUAdaPwLcrE5WHE04tvdemERqIyGZqP8JMIQZalO2S4WtFJTkO29tAvDSy5pSSS