1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
7/2/14 9:46 p.m.

Ok I'm little late to the party, but my rant is that as a motorist, we get thrown in our faces constantly that we need to "WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES"

My problem is that lately it seem mainly Harley riders ride my ass while I'm driving. I had to make an emergency stop and he and his lady almost became a part of the back of my van. He drove around me and glared at me.

Hey if I need to give you the room to be safe, you should do the same for yourself

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
7/2/14 9:51 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Ok I'm little late to the party, but my rant is that as a motorist, we get thrown in our faces constantly that we need to "WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES" My problem is that lately it seem mainly Harley riders ride my ass while I'm driving. I had to make an emergency stop and he and his lady almost became a part of the back of my van. He drove around me and glared at me. Hey if I need to give you the room to be safe, you should do the same for yourself

Have had the same experience multiple times.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/2/14 9:54 p.m.

nicksta43 wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: Maybe we should all demand that the government makes it illegal to change any portion of the exhaust of any type of vehicle from stock. That would solve everybody's problems.
Way to go to extremes to try to belittle a very valid thread!
Oh and by the way, the first three nearly identical threads on this subject this year may have had a little validity. This one is just the same people flapping their gums about the same E36 M3 they've said a hundred times. If you really wanted to get the police officers to start enforcing the laws and ticketing straight pipers you'd be a lot more effective if you started going to every town council meeting you can attend and making a stink. Get all your like minded friends out there on the weekends and get petitions signed. Get everybody aggravating the hell out of your town councilman about this. I promise that would be a hell of a lot more effective than ranting on the internet. Or continue being internet badasses, spewing negativity and hate. Preaching to the choir where your not going to effect anything except making yourself feel superior on paper. That's just my opinion though, it's your world I'm just living in it.
nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/2/14 10:02 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I'm more upset about the frequency of these "negative" posts. I thought most of you got all the complaining out in the car guy pet peeves thread. I mean that thing hung around long enough to draw a pension. The rant thread in off topic is not bad because usually more than one person is there to lend assistance or support for whatever someone is ranting about but these threads about hating this or that where everyone piles on and adds to the hate and negativity just depress me. There is so much about this hobby to love but everyone gets so much joy out of ripping into other people for the choices they make. It's like being back in high school.

Bringing this all the way from page one. And with that I'm done with this nonsense.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
7/2/14 10:10 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: I'm more upset about the frequency of these "negative" posts. I thought most of you got all the complaining out in the car guy pet peeves thread. I mean that thing hung around long enough to draw a pension. The rant thread in off topic is not bad because usually more than one person is there to lend assistance or support for whatever someone is ranting about but these threads about hating this or that where everyone piles on and adds to the hate and negativity just depress me. There is so much about this hobby to love but everyone gets so much joy out of ripping into other people for the choices they make. It's like being back in high school.
Bringing this all the way from page one. And with that I'm done with this nonsense.

I find you to be one of the.most entertaining posters on here

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/2/14 10:12 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

Don't word about it man. Enjoy your bike. I think I'll order a pipe for mine tomorrow lol.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
7/2/14 10:59 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Ok I'm little late to the party, but my rant is that as a motorist, we get thrown in our faces constantly that we need to "WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES" My problem is that lately it seem mainly Harley riders ride my ass while I'm driving. I had to make an emergency stop and he and his lady almost became a part of the back of my van. He drove around me and glared at me. Hey if I need to give you the room to be safe, you should do the same for yourself

The reason they keep "throwing it in your face" is that there are a e36m3 ton of people that drive around completely oblivious to everything round them, especially small things with one headlight and they paralyze and kill lots of good people who are obeying all the traffic laws with their stupidity. It's not directed at situationally aware enthusiasts at all.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
7/3/14 12:05 a.m.
carbon wrote:
The reason they keep "throwing it in your face" is that there are a e36m3 ton of people that drive around completely oblivious to everything round them, especially small things with one headlight and they paralyze and kill lots of good people who are obeying all the traffic laws with their stupidity. It's not directed at situationally aware enthusiasts at all.

Maybe I didn't word it properly, but my point is that the motorcycle community wants us as motorists to keep our distance and eye out for motorcyclists. I totally get that.

My problem is that a certain group of specific brand enthusiasts that like to tailgate. I don't care if you can stop faster, too close is too close. I don't want to be the cause of someone to get hurt because I have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a small child with a dog.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/3/14 12:32 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: And with that I'm done with this nonsense.

I doubt it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
7/3/14 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Where do I hear all these loud bikes? South Eastern Ma. In a very rural town. I have three houses on my street that own livestock and one horse riding stable.

And to your other question, I heard the Harley speed-shifting at WOT, walked out to the road to wait for him. As he rode by I calmly flipped him the middle finger and mouthed F/U and I swear I honestly have not ever seen him or that stupid bike since.

He was riding by/waking up my kids 2-4 times per day including twice per night after 11:00pm up til then.

So happily it didn't need to get any more "physical" than that.

He's not the only one, he's just the fattest, stupidest and most annoying.

Again, it's personal when it affects my kids. I'm just a guy who wants to leave people alone and be left alone in peace. I'd NEVER do that to his kids or be a nuisance like that and I expect the same treatment, period.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/3/14 5:43 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
I doubt it.

It's a mental illness. Some people just can't help but keep clicking the same tab on their computer screen even when they know it's bad for them.

Sure, it sucks to be in the minority, but the fact remains the bulk of us (and the population in general) find open pipe bikes incredibly annoying. Better we vent here in a pointless gesture than start running these morons in their pirate costumes off the road and beating them into bloody pulps.

Though the latter sure is fun to think about.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/3/14 7:36 a.m.
ddavidv wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
I doubt it.
It's a mental illness. Some people just can't help but keep clicking the same tab on their computer screen even when they know it's bad for them. Sure, it sucks to be in the minority, but the fact remains the bulk of us (and the population in general) find open pipe bikes incredibly annoying. Better we vent here in a pointless gesture than start running these morons in their pirate costumes off the road and beating them into bloody pulps. Though the latter sure is fun to think about.

and before it comes to this (and no I don't advocate doing this )

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/3/14 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Perhaps it is a sound wave frequency issue.

In reply to SBF:

Bikes can very rarely outbrake cars(especially not cruisers), so tailgating seems even more idiotic.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

How long did you have to stand by the road and wait for it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
7/3/14 10:20 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to ebonyandivory: How long did you have to stand by the road and wait for it.

I was outside in the yard at the time. I literally memorized the sound of his pipes and his shift points.

I can do it now with a 90's Bronco, a Subaru wagon with an exhaust leak, a modded WRX, an 80's C1500 that's just old and rattles a lot, a newish Mustang GT, a QUIET GSXR 750, an 80's Corvette that sounds like a full-on drag car with open headers (who's on my list for starting up his car, letting it warm up for 15 minutes then revving the hell out of it before 5:30am.)

I'm sure all us car guys memorize stuff that way

plance1
plance1 Dork
7/3/14 10:41 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: I have a quiet harley. I occasionally blip the throttle so I can see. At idle my harley shakes so bad my eyeballs rattle in my skull and I can see anything. Blip the throttle and the engine smooths out and I can see what's going on around me.
Yeah, this. I have stock mufflers on my Harley (I know, shock, right? Take away my patch.) A little blip on the throttle takes the shake out, to see the clock, odometer, etc.

sign of a crappy bike when it can't idle smoothly...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
7/3/14 10:47 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: I have a quiet harley. I occasionally blip the throttle so I can see. At idle my harley shakes so bad my eyeballs rattle in my skull and I can see anything. Blip the throttle and the engine smooths out and I can see what's going on around me.
Yeah, this. I have stock mufflers on my Harley (I know, shock, right? Take away my patch.) A little blip on the throttle takes the shake out, to see the clock, odometer, etc.

I said I had read this to a fairly hard core biker friend of mine. He smilled, shook his head, and said, "I'd be embarrassed to say that. Its for the attention."

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/4/14 6:01 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote:
I said I had read this to a fairly hard core biker friend of mine. He smilled, shook his head, and said, "I'd be embarrassed to say that. Its for the attention."

Part of it must be for attention as you don't need to blip the throttle every 5 seconds to see what time it is or how far you traveled since the last time you checked sitting in the same spot.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/4/14 8:55 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Part of it must be for attention as you don't need to blip the throttle every 5 seconds to see what time it is or how far you traveled since the last time you checked sitting in the same spot.

How long you willing to sit there blind? Go ahead, sit there, eyes closed, on a motorcycle, blindly trusting everyone else to take care of you and watch out for your safety. Let us know how long you can go that way.

Sure, some of it is a game. Same entertainment factor I see and hear with the kids on their sport bikes, the dirt bikes, sports cars, trucks, ect. Mazda even dedicates an entire commercial theme to it, vroom vroom vroom.

I've also been known to just turn the bike off at longish waits.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/4/14 9:21 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: Part of it must be for attention as you don't need to blip the throttle every 5 seconds to see what time it is or how far you traveled since the last time you checked sitting in the same spot.
How long you willing to sit there blind? Go ahead, sit there, eyes closed, on a motorcycle, blindly trusting everyone else to take care of you and watch out for your safety. Let us know how long you can go that way.

not sure what point you're trying to make … as Feedyurhed wrote.. how often do you need to check the odometer/clock while you're sitting still ?

don't see that as the same thing as sitting there with your eyes closed "trusting everyone else to take care of you" … whatever that means

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/4/14 1:24 p.m.

He's saying Harleys shake so bad he bips the throttle just so he can see what's in his mirrors.

Out of curiosity, how many RPM do you have to add for it to smooth out?

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
7/4/14 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Not much, really. Idle is ~950rpm. It'll smooth out around 1100.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/4/14 4:45 p.m.

Wouldn't it be simpler to up the RPM be 150?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/4/14 5:04 p.m.

But, how would anyone know it's a Harley if you don't need to blip the throttle every few seconds.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/4/14 5:25 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote:
sign of a crappy bike when it can't idle smoothly...

All my cars with performance cams must be crappy. My BMW k1200s had a lopey idle too. Guess that bike was also junk. I'm glad there are people like you that can help us dummies see the light.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/4/14 6:23 p.m.
wbjones wrote: not sure what point you're trying to make … as Feedyurhed wrote.. how often do you need to check the odometer/clock while you're sitting still ? don't see that as the same thing as sitting there with your eyes closed "trusting everyone else to take care of you" … whatever that means

I ride a Road King, there is no tachometer. It does not have the counterbalanced engine that the Softails and maybe Dyna have. And it has the soft motor mounts for buzz free riding. This means at idle my engine can do a dandy impression of a hardware store paint shaker.

Like I said earlier, this thing can rattle my eyes around inside my skull at times idling. As in I can't see the traffic light well, and I can't see people in their cars well. Essentially, I'm blinded. Personally, I don't like sitting at intersections blinded. Especially on a motorcycle. It can also make the nose hairs tickle, and that's just downright uncomfortable. So, sometimes I'll rev the engine a little, or even shut it off completely.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MOJrRRA9exodOPGCBshLr64ezWhNVSV6vNGYHMaAaAYvXBSFxW252Lsm42aBylJ4