1 2
glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
12/6/21 10:26 a.m.

I've used Discount Tire a lot in the last couple of years and have been very happy with the service from my local (Pittsburgh) branch. I've bought  a lot of tires from Tire Rack in the past, and mainly switched from TR after getting some crappy advice about tires being suitable for track use. After the tires started chunking, they denied saying the tires were suitable for track usage.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/21 12:47 p.m.

I have been super happy with DT, and they use torque wrenches, and they install tires while you wait in the car. The prices were always near identical to TR, but you don't need to mess around.

If they keep the website TR built, then this is a win for me.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/7/21 9:50 a.m.

I solved the whole conundrum years ago. I buy from my local tire guy who is knowledgeable about performance tires, offers fair prices, and is right there when I may have an issue. I don't have to make long distance calls or wait days for service. In the long run, I don't pay any more for tires than either TR or DT. And, just for the record, I have never liked DT's website, just doesn't have the lean toward performance tires like TR.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/21 10:22 a.m.

I usually use TR, or buy from my local independent.

I bought some Continentals for the Mazda 5 this year in one of the DT flash sales. The tires they sent me were over 3 1/2 years old. They were willing to change them out, and issued a pick up order, but then never sent out the replacement tires until I called again 3 weeks later. It took a lot more effort and time on my part than was necessary.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/7/21 10:23 a.m.

Discount Tire won 100% of my tire business 5-6 years ago.  They have two local shops in town and they are fanatical about customer service.   Zero-hassle, proactively offered to prorate my tires that wore out before they were rated to.   

TR's biggest miss (for me) was a wheel shopping experience.  For an outlet that leans into motorsports, it's an infuriating place to try to shop for wheels.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/21 10:55 a.m.

I hate the DTD website. Tire Rack's website is the best around and the prices are extremely fair. 

I have bought tires and wheels from both so as long as they get better and keep prices down im all for it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/7/21 4:10 p.m.

Our local Discount Tire always seems very excited to see us, even when bringing in our own tires and wheels. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/7/21 6:43 p.m.

I used America's Tire exclusively for years in California. Then the DT in Bend tried to dick me over (charged me for work they didn't do and then took like three hours to do the refund). I've been using local places since. The one I use for Miata tires is a rally prep shop so they always have cool stuff in the shop. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/7/21 9:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Our local Discount Tire always seems very excited to see us, even when bringing in our own tires and wheels. 

I don't think tire shops mind that so much since I suspect the margin on tires today isn't really all that good. All the money's in the services and contract things like road hazard protection.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/8/21 7:55 a.m.
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

TR's biggest miss (for me) was a wheel shopping experience.  For an outlet that leans into motorsports, it's an infuriating place to try to shop for wheels.

When it comes to wheels, I always buy from the specialty shops anyway. Flyin Miata, 949, Vorshlag, Evasive, CSG, etc. As they are the ones who have taken the time to work out the fitments and then carry the wheels. 

Tire Rack and likely DTD can't really offer the fitment advice and the specifics the specialty shops can. 

For example, on the Gen 1 BRZ/FR-S, you can fit 18x9.5 ET38 with 255/35 under stock fenders.......but you need the smaller diameter coil spring of a coilover for the inside room. I don't expect places like Tire Rack to get into stuff like that. But the aftermarket shops do.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/8/21 8:14 a.m.
GCrites80s said:
David S. Wallens said:

I don't think tire shops mind that so much since I suspect the margin on tires today isn't really all that good. All the money's in the services and contract things like road hazard protection.

I think a lot of shops also appreciate scheduling flexibility.  I usually get tires mounted in the context of "here's a pile of wheels and tires, please assemble, let me know when they're done and I'll come pick them up."  In that case, I don't care if it takes them 2 days. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/8/21 4:20 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

When it comes to wheels, I always buy from the specialty shops anyway. Flyin Miata, 949, Vorshlag, Evasive, CSG, etc. As they are the ones who have taken the time to work out the fitments and then carry the wheels. 

Tire Rack and likely DTD can't really offer the fitment advice and the specifics the specialty shops can. 

For example, on the Gen 1 BRZ/FR-S, you can fit 18x9.5 ET38 with 255/35 under stock fenders.......but you need the smaller diameter coil spring of a coilover for the inside room. I don't expect places like Tire Rack to get into stuff like that. But the aftermarket shops do.

10 years ago Tire Rack did a good job of this but usually only for specific competition classes.  TRM wheels were sized appropriately for competition cars and a pretty fair price.  TRM 17x9 STR S2000 Fitment, NC Miata Fitment.  15x9 STR Miata Fitment, etc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wvn4pe6nkD7v7s2dENyCtl5Xc63xL2DsYT29aPrXf8P8ZktFvGr5sWexFd9MwNJU