carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/6/21 3:22 p.m.

Has anyone researched wheels and tires for a Tesla 3? 

Has anyone autocrossed one?  How about some good alignment specs?

My son bought  the performance model twin motor 3.  I recently had surgery so haven't been able to do anything fun and only have about a 10 mile passenger trip in it to "explore the acceleration envelope" in it so I'm honestly not much help to him yet.  BTW the acceleration was awesome!

Although he's used to driving a Miata and an S2000 with coilovers, he says it rides too rough so he's looking for tires with a little more sidewall.  He wants to maintain performance so he's looking for performance tires that have a decent tread life since it's a daily driver.

The car came with Pirelli P Zeros in a 235/35/20.  He's wanting to go a 255/40/19 which apparently will still clear the brakes according to Tesla forums.  Unfortunately Tesla forums are filled with non-carguys so good knowledge is scarce.  He's looking at the Unplugged Performance UP-03 Super Light Wheels in a 9.5" width (stock is 9").  they are 5# lighter than stock.  Same +35mm offset.

Due to limitations due to tire size, he's coming up with the Michelin Pilot Sprt 4S or the Pilot Sport All Season 4.  He's worried about treadwear on the 4S since it's a daily.

What sez the hive mind?  Surely multiple people out there have already crossed this hurdle.

And when is GRM going to do a good article on the 3 and it's performance potential & limitations?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/6/21 3:49 p.m.

I can find out for you.  We had a guy AX with us for the past couple years in a 3P... and last year he came within a hair of a pretty well sorted C6 Vette for raw FTD.  That Tesla was astounding on course.

He has switched to a new Supra for this year, but I can ask him.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
10/6/21 4:34 p.m.

I understand that 3s have pretty high tire wear when it comes to autocross, so it might be best to have a dedicated set if they plan on autocrossing more than once a year.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/6/21 7:23 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests.  I'd like to go 20 ubertines (33lbs) to a light 19" (20-22lbs) and go to 255/265in something performance daily ish.

They say they gave the M3P a stepped hub that is different than the rest and prevents other oem rims from bolting up.  Given the lack of actual car knowledge I'd like to try test fitting myself.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/6/21 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Thank you very much

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/6/21 10:14 p.m.
84FSP said:

This is relevant to my interests.  I'd like to go 20 ubertines (33lbs) to a light 19" (20-22lbs) and go to 255/265in something performance daily ish.

They say they gave the M3P a stepped hub that is different than the rest and prevents other oem rims from bolting up.  Given the lack of actual car knowledge I'd like to try test fitting myself.

Stepped hub?  I better make sure my son knows that before ordering his special order rims!!

Opti
Opti Dork
10/7/21 7:30 a.m.

Ive seen guys running model 3 wheels on subies, so the offset and bolt pattern is probably out there already. If the hub is a problem, a machine shop should be able to open it up. If you are looking for a cheap autox only set.

PS the stock 18s without the cover are a good looking wheel. I currently have one in the back of my truck to check fitment on a couple things.

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/7/21 7:37 a.m.

18s don't fit over the current performance model brakes.

Not exactly sure what to recommend for tires, it's kind of in a weird size range. Also depends on what balance you're looking for between autocross performance and street wear. Either of the two Michelin options are fine depending on use case.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/7/21 9:48 a.m.

I had a set of Pilot Sports AS 3+ on my GS430 and loved them, but I didn't do any autocrossing in it. They were an awesome tire for a heavy daily driver.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
10/7/21 10:01 p.m.

Yeah the car is a little on the heavy side so I expect tire wear to be an issue, but it feels light and nimble from the passenger seat.  I'll get to drive it in about 7 days, but I won't get to test it in an autocross type setting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVc9rB41qEqmkI57lrWg6YWTDriOIKQLYiIHhI1aZtms2RzfIlNNA8S81elWzq79