dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/13 9:26 p.m.

I have been searching for tires for my Porsche. These are for primarily DD use and will not need to do snow. I have a set of 4 studded snows. I also don't need these for autocross/track. I have another set dedicated for my HPDE / open practice time.

I need these to have above average dry traction. I would like decent turn in and above all else they will need to be good in the wet. I also would like to keep the price below 450 for a set. No real need I just think that there should be a tire out there for less than that that will get the job done.

Tire size is 225-55-16

I narrowed it down to

Continental ExtremeContact DWS $110/tire and
General G-MAX AS-03 $107/tire

Anyone have any other suggestions? I am leaning towards the Continentals I have had Continentals on my expedition and they have been a great tire.

I know nothing about General but they got a decent review in tire rack

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
3/12/13 9:40 p.m.

Those sound more all season-y than you need IMO. The BFG Sport Comp2s have some decent reviews that I've seen, and they're well within the budget.

dean1484
3/12/13 9:47 p.m.

What are there speed rating?

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/13 9:48 p.m.

Yokohama S.Drives are $110 each in that size. I love the set I have on the Protege.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
3/12/13 9:51 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What are there speed rating?

W.

dean1484
3/12/13 10:01 p.m.

tks

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/12/13 10:30 p.m.
Max_Archer wrote: The BFG Sport Comp2s have some decent reviews that I've seen, and they're well within the budget.

They're awesome.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
3/12/13 10:43 p.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

That's actually good to hear, since I'm in the tire market for my Mazda2 and they're pretty cheap at Costco.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
3/12/13 11:58 p.m.

Good topic I need two tires myself coming up pretty soon, I think I'm going to finally put the rials on the benz with 225/50/16 tires. I have two yokohammers but need two more.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
3/13/13 1:51 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Max_Archer wrote: The BFG Sport Comp2s have some decent reviews that I've seen, and they're well within the budget.
They're awesome.

I had a set of the old version, and if they are anything like those then +1.

dean1484
3/13/13 7:01 a.m.

Another one I found that seems to be a good choice is the Continental ExtremeContact DW looks like the same as the DWS but with a tread pattern that is more towards performance

chuckles
chuckles Reader
3/13/13 8:29 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Another one I found that seems to be a good choice is the Continental ExtremeContact DW looks like the same as the DWS but with a tread pattern that is more towards performance

VERY pleased with the set on my E 36.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
3/13/13 8:43 a.m.

Well, I just happen to have a set of each currently installed on two of my vehicles... Generals on the STi and Contis on the Saab 9-3, both in 235-17 (though the STi has wider wheels)

Both have excellent dry grip, as well as excellent wet grip. Previously had Yoko 008 on the Subaru, and on the street you can't tell a difference in dry grip. Saab had Kuhmo ASX and the Contis are superior in all aspects to those. I haven't even changed to snows this year in Central PA and have had no trouble in the minor snow.ice events I've had to be out in.

The Contis are slightly quieter on the highway, the Generals have a bit more cornering stability, though part of that may be due to the wheel width. The Generals are directional, the Contis can be flipped left to right, but that's moot if you run a staggered setup. Honestly I'd call it a wash.

Pick the one that looks cooler ;-)

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/13/13 3:34 p.m.
Travis_K wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
They're awesome.
I had a set of the old version, and if they are anything like those then +1.

I had the old version on the E Stock MR2. They were just great. I have the new ones on Tom Celica for street tires. Haven't run them at an autocross school or anything yet, but just driving on the street, they are super.

Mmadness
Mmadness New Reader
3/13/13 4:00 p.m.

If they must be around $450, I would recommend the Kumho Ecsta SPT. If you're willing to spend an extra $50, the BfGoodrich Comp2 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

dean1484
3/13/13 4:52 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: If they must be around $450, I would recommend the Kumho Ecsta SPT. If you're willing to spend an extra $50, the BfGoodrich Comp2 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

No I really wanted originally to keep this around $400 for a set (I do my own mounting and balancing) but the quality jump from sub $100 tires to $110 - $115 tires is huge in my size of 225-50-16. So I sucked it up and upped my budget to $450. I put a lot of miles on this car so I will be lucky if I get 2 years out of these. That is why I am looking cheep. I really wanted some RA1's but they are just to pricey for what they are. If I could find a set of Yokohama Nexus I would jump on them I have had them several times and they were a fantastic tire excellent grip good turn in, excelent in rain / wet and I got very good ware from them (35K +/-) but they are now discontinued. My most recent tire was the dunlop SP 2000. Not as good as the Nexus but still a really good street tire. I got these for almost nothing. They had about 5000 mile son them when I got them and they were done in less then 1 year.

I have one other option. I am going to see what my friend that runs a shop can get me these for as he gets a substantial discount off list. I just picked up a set of tires for my mustang that list at about $80 a tire. I paid $62 with his discount.

And before anyone asks no I have to trade him website / computer time in return. Or sometimes I will help him around the shop on the last Saturday of the month as this is when he gets swamped with people trying to get there car inspected. (Not that this is really work as I like doing it every now and then)

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
3/13/13 4:55 p.m.

Neither me or anyone else I know who has them has ever had any issues with bfg tires, not even many punctures. I did hear a second hand story about someone having a kumho tire fail and cartwheel their car down the side of the freeway (kumho bought them a replacement), so I haven't really felt good about buying any tires from them. Next time I buy tires (in that same size), they will probably be BFGs, but the DWS would be my second choice.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/13 5:48 p.m.

Wanna bump up to some cheap 18's?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/18-inch-porsche-tires-michelin-pilot-sport-300/61211/page1/

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/13 6:48 p.m.

Or...(not mine)

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/3672288957.html

dean1484
3/14/13 7:34 a.m.

I have a set of 15's my snows are on them and the 18's I am not sure would fit even if I had rims for them. 18's might also start to look weird on my car

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kqF1rZFV1HY04FEMwcACI9Mrik5hmznsufZrJLR7GWF4d0TxuXz9CDtdQkeOTj7C