AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/21 8:51 a.m.

Elmore has three seats. As of June, we need four to go on a family outing. For most of my ownership, Elmore has not only been my tow rig but it's been what we've taken when the family goes out to eat. Combining towing duty, truck duty and family outing duty, in the non-salt months I've always used it 3-4 times a week. 

We have now bought my wife a 4Runner that is capable of tow duty which means Elmore would hang around, for the most part, to be used a few times a year for truck stuff or when I just feel like bringing it out. The Healey is my car to take out for a fun drive though. Even if I continue to use Elmore for track weekends, that's not a ton a of use.

Do I know I would regret selling this truck? 100% but I firmly believe vehicles should be used. I hate seeing it sit.

Space is also a consideration. If I had a garage big enough to store it, and have plenty of room left over, I probably would just keep it but during the summer it takes up 1 of the 3.5 garaged spaces we have at home. It seems silly to have an unused vehicle taking that valuable space. 

What would replace it? A 50-60's Cadillac or Lincoln with enough room for the whole family. 

Thoughts? Advice?

For those not familiar, this is Elmore. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/27/21 9:17 a.m.

Crusty old trucks are cool - crusty old trucks that get used are even cooler.

I would replace it with a Chevy squarebody 3x3, a service body, a bagged suspension, and a modern powertrain swap.

1973 3500 CREW CAB 454 3+3 DUALLY BAGGED 19.5 ALCOA WHEELS PATINA C-10 C30  C35

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/21 9:46 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

The old truck market is crazy right now. In your mind, think of a crazy high price, then elevate that price by another 33%. Put it out there for sale and see if you get any interest.

Generally, make them offer you so much that you can't say no.  The worst thing that happens is you still have the truck. 

AxeHealey
11/27/21 1:24 p.m.

Elmore is the crusty old truck I want so I wouldn't trade it for another and a four door old truck, I'd have to sell all my other vehicles to afford that. 

John - That's probably the right move. I should do some digging to see what stupid money for this would be. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/28/21 7:50 a.m.

If you bought a big old Caddy or similar for family duty, wouldn't that sit as Elmore does?  The 4-Runner doesn't do family duties?

I just hate to see you regret selling a functional, well known experienced vehicle only to replace it with heartache, work and expense.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I'm thinking you're worth more than this $9,500 but I also don't really feel that one is worth $9,500.  My guess is he's worth $6,000 but his mega- high price is $9,500.  

In similar vein my initial guess is your high-ask is $9k and the "current times", mega-high ask is $12k.  But, just a guess from a self defined idiot.    

AxeHealey
11/28/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Yes - I should have been more clear. Elmore is not my daily driver but I used to almost use it as such in the summer months. The idea is that the Cadillac could be used as much as Elmore used to as it could fit the whole family. The 4Runner totally does family duty as does my daily - this is a good problem to have. Point definitely taken about leaving a known solid vehicle for an unknown.

In reply to John Welsh:

Man, if that goes for $9,500 I surely better put Elmore up for sale, huh? My knee jerk reaction to value is about what you're suggesting. My last old truck was a '65 C10 short bed with a 400 small block, 3 spd and air ride all around that I sold for $10k about 5 years ago. Elmore likely isn't as sought after as that truck but the Chevy would be worth much closer to $15-18k in the current market I'd think. Maybe more.

AxeHealey
11/30/21 8:15 a.m.

Well, I threw up a half-hearted ad on marketplace as well as one on the Ford Trucks forum. We'll see if this goes anywhere. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/21 8:33 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I looked for it but look what I found instead:  toy, model ford Service Truck.  You could keep a Elmore replica on your shelf.

AxeHealey
11/30/21 8:39 a.m.

Hah, cool!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2984001515183116

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/market/1681099

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/30/21 8:54 a.m.

I shared your FB posting a few places.  That's how the game works for obscure stuff.  People share it so someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, eventually sees the ad.  

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 9:15 a.m.

I have a buddy not far from you with a mostly solid 68 coupe deville depending on how much or little you want to work on something 

AxeHealey
11/30/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks, John. Much appreciated. 

In reply to Patrick:

That's right on the border of too boxy for me but...maybe. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/21 10:10 a.m.

Old Ford trucks are high in value right now, I'm guessing it's a 352/360 FE?

I was sort of looking for something similar at the start of my truck search and couldn't believe the prices nowdays

AxeHealey
11/30/21 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

It's a 429 out of a '71 Thunderbird built out to a 466 according to the P/O who built it. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/30/21 12:16 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

It's a 429 out of a '71 Thunderbird built out to a 466 according to the P/O who built it. 

I wouldn't walk away from that for less then 12K in the current market........where on earth would you ever find that combo.

I go through this with my Camper Van; it only gets used 10 times a year but then I remember, now that the Formula 500 is my primary race car, I only use my Datsun race car 4-5 times a year.  Yes for stupid money I'd part with the Datsun.........and I'd say only part with that truck for stupid money.

AxeHealey
11/30/21 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Valid point. I have similar internal discussions about the E21. I use it 1-3 times a year it would seem.

Another thing just occurring to me is that I didn't buy Elmore with the intent of using it for family outings, it just became a favorite and that's what we've done with it.

More ammo for me to not budge on price.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/21 4:43 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
AxeHealey said:

I wouldn't walk away from that for less then 12K in the current market........where on earth would you ever find that combo.

I go through this with my Camper Van; it only gets used 10 times a year but then I remember, now that the Formula 500 is my primary race car, I only use my Datsun race car 4-5 times a year.  Yes for stupid money I'd part with the Datsun.........and I'd say only part with that truck for stupid money.

I agree

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PTzax7DAvt2C5NIAS5nZDVJn2Yltq9WWb0ArlZ3F7Iipws2vjyfiAY83wtmnSWsM