1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/2/23 12:20 p.m.
feature_image

Some of you are still shoveling snow–but not our fellow Floridians.

We had clear skies and balmy conditions for this Monday’s Orlando Roadsters evening meet, so we headed over in our Garage Rescue Miata.

Why do we make these trips? To see friends, check out cool cars and enjoy an evening drive with the top down. Plus it’s a …

Read the rest of the story

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/23 12:35 p.m.

Not early at all ... 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/23 1:06 p.m.

As with any sport, it's all about appropriate clothing.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/23 2:03 p.m.

We had a low 70's day yesterday so I cruised home form work with the top down.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/23 5:20 p.m.

If it's not actively raining more than a drizzle, I regularly put the top down all the way down to freezing. Seat heater on max, foot heater vents selected on max, hot tub mode is the best.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
3/2/23 6:17 p.m.

It was overcast here but 62* so top was dropped for the ride home last night and tonight. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/23 6:41 p.m.

I got sunburned today in Gainesville. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/2/23 6:57 p.m.

There's fellow here in Dexter who drives his Cobra replica all winter.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/23 7:27 p.m.

I raced my roofless Miata a couple of weeks ago in our Winter series.

David S. Wallens
3/2/23 9:10 p.m.

Had the Miata out today with the top down. Right now, for about a week, it’s perfect convertible weather here in Central Florida. 

outasite
outasite HalfDork
3/2/23 9:14 p.m.

My son was driving his ND Club with the top down last weekend in Pittsburgh. 60 degree and sunny.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/23 9:52 p.m.

This was Jan 9th in Birmingham, AL. Temps the week before were under 10 degrees F. This week we have been bumping 80. We will get another bout of sub-freezing weather, probably a big snow day or winter-storm freeze before we head into "oven hot with a humidifier" weather...

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/23 10:20 p.m.

Florida native here, convertible season to me is the opposite of up North. Whenever I've had a convertible with a hardtop I'd put it on for the "season" in May and keep it on during the Summer when it's 100+ degrees and 90% humidity. 

David S. Wallens
3/3/23 12:34 a.m.

Just noticed that it looks like the Miata’s paint on the rear fender is messed up in the lead photo. 

That’s just a shadow from the tree. :) 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/23 10:06 a.m.

Floridians.  When I had my Fiat spiders, unless it was raining or snowing, I had the top down.  People look at you funny when it is 25 degrees out and you have the top down, but I still did it.  I do not own a 'vert right now, but I still use the sunroof all year. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/3/23 10:21 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Just noticed that it looks like the Miata’s paint on the rear fender is messed up in the lead photo. 

That’s just a shadow from the tree. :) 

I just assumed it was smoke damage from the last time J.G. drove it.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/23 6:11 p.m.

It's already to the point that only first thing in the morning is tolerable with the top down in South Texas...I do manage to get to the office with the wind in my hair...but as soon as I leave (10:30 to 11:30), it's too hot and shiny for my skin cancer prone hide.

David S. Wallens
3/6/23 12:26 p.m.

We have another autocross this weekend, so looking forward to some more top-down motoring. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/6/23 1:16 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Right now, for about a week, it’s perfect convertible weather here in Central Florida. 

The perfect summary of Florida's seasons. There's usually a week where everything is perfect.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/6/23 3:43 p.m.

I've had the top down all winter on the e36; of course I put the hardtop on....

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/23 7:28 p.m.

Beatiful day today ...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/23/23 9:34 p.m.

The first day we reach 50 degrees I guarantee there will be top down cars all over Minneapolis (along with motorcycles, and joggers in shorts.)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/23/23 9:58 p.m.

Had mine out with the top down all evening. I forget how much joy it brings that way.

Top down not shown....

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/23/23 10:13 p.m.

We had 6 inches of snow last night and should have another 6 to 12 by this time tomorrow.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/23 6:39 p.m.

Top down all week.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EsEfAH30Tpnb1U3S6yreVQn9R3Ek0d1z8usBAhtnM6A4jIGLJghWYCeF8M8POeAN