P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/11/08 8:14 a.m.

The poor RX-7 is down for a new clutch, so I figured what the heck and took the P71 to an autocross again. With the PCA even! It was a neat course that combined some pretty long open straights (POWAAAAH!!) with some really tricky tight corners. I didn't even come in dead last! (Met a few fellow GRM'ers there who can attest to my sideways/smoke making driving out of the 90* Chicago box) Had so much fun that I'm taking it to an Alfa Club autocross next Sunday... after I drag race it Saturday night... after I do a Drift Invasion event on Thursday...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/08 8:29 a.m.

Wait, a RX7 needed a clutch?

Shocking, absolutely shocking.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/11/08 8:57 a.m.

that's excellent. there's a local event I'm hoping to attend in a couple weeks.

the EM has a third gen camaro and likes to make big-powerful-car-friendly courses

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
8/11/08 11:15 a.m.

Awesome :) My P71 is currently in the garage for re-vinyling. I did think about driving it in to work today but I took the shaggin' wagon.

Anyway, I have priorities to figure out on my CV before I bring it out for competition. I didn't even bring it to the drag strip last time, I figured the cords showing wouldn't help my ETs.

What year is your car again? Just wondering if you have the good steering or the adequate steering. I have an '01, so mine is classified as "adequate." :)

P71
8/11/08 7:41 p.m.

Well the RX-7's stock, original, never-rebuilt 12A has 231,000 miles on it, so yeah the clutch is probably overdue I actually knew it was "weak" when I bought it, but I still rung it through 6 autocrosses and 2 drag events

My P71 is an 01, the steering and suspension are 100% factory stock. The tires are nearly-dead Toyo Proxes TPT 225/60/16's (but they seem to be VERY sticky at the end of their life!).

I decided against the drift event (they kicked out of PIR once before, so I'd really rather not ever be associated with them, and also the double autocross and the drag racing combined is less then the cost of the drift!).

If any of you Portlander's are interested (Nashco?) I'll have the P71 at the PIR late-night drags from 6-?? on Saturday August 16th, and at the Alfa Club autocross the following day (also at PIR). ThunderCougarFalconGoat (John) will also be at both with his "new" RX-7.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
8/12/08 9:50 p.m.

P71- How are your aftermarket brakes holding up? I recall you bought those one ebay-who from?

P71
8/12/08 10:37 p.m.

Ahh, those! They're actually doing quite well. As a recap, the stock P71 brakes are ~13" front/11" rear vented discs with huge calipers, ABS, and an "aggressive" factory pad. Mine were in good shape, but marginal at best for an HPDE so I did an "upgrade". Went with drilled/slotted/zinc-coated rotors from eBay (at $189 shipped) coupled with Performance Friction pads all the way around. They broke in well, stopped GREAT at the HPDE (~130MPH top speed observed, 3 20 minute sessions in 90*+ heat), and have since survived ~4000 miles of street use, 10 drag strip passes with burnouts, and 9 autocross runs. No cracks, no fade, no warping (yet). For the price I am happy, though I will admit to having my OEM rotors turned and stored in the garage "just in case".

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
8/12/08 11:42 p.m.

Which PFC compound did you go with? Also, you think you're going to replace your nearly dead Proxes with another set, or go with something else?

P71
8/13/08 12:03 a.m.

Whatever the standard base compound is. I ordered them at the local Schmuck's.

I'm honestly thinking of going with the TPT's again as they really have done quite well. I am considering a set of 17" Mustang wheels with some 245's for HPDE, autocross, and drag activities with a more aggressive tire.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QNmLiOV1zzt9lkKnbvSbI9Exu9Yl9vSSW8ZeK0hW1QdIOS13m337zkHi4uYgwnnG