Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/3/22 1:53 p.m.

So I finally upgraded from a 5 drawer craftsman box my parents bought me when i turned 16, but now i have to figure out what goes where. But more importantly, how do i decorate it? My old box had plenty of stickers on it (which i think are structural at this point). What do you guys do? Keep it clean? Rock-Auto  Camo?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/3/22 2:30 p.m.

Stickers seem the coolest to me, but take time to acquire.  Much more fun to put on ones you get at events, trade shows, parts orders, etc than just buying a big lot of random ones.  I plan on upgrading my boxes this year and was considering what color when it hit me that I could fleabay some vehicle wrap and wrap the box with it, while learning how to use vehicle wrap on an upcoming car. 

Or hit with a grinder and some salty water to go for the "patina" look.....  :)

-Rob

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/22 2:55 p.m.

I like stickers but I have started buying thin sheet magnets, putting the stickers on the magnet sheet and then putting it on the box.  I got the idea from someone on here years ago.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/3/22 3:52 p.m.

Organization?  Basically none.  Overflowing with tools, with no room for new ones.

Decor?  Basically none.  Dirt and grime.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
2/3/22 4:29 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

I like stickers but I have started buying thin sheet magnets, putting the stickers on the magnet sheet and then putting it on the box.  I got the idea from someone on here years ago.

I do something similar, I've got a locker that I put some stickers on but the ones I like I put on a magnet sheet and then stick to my cabinets. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/3/22 4:41 p.m.

Snap-on KRA15A wrench rails are my favorite but there are a lot of options out there from Ernst and other manufacturers.

The socket drawer is filled out with Westling Machine billet trays but I would hesitate to recommend them since there are so many other lower cost options. If you have the drawer depth I actually like the HF offering.

I also use a "Pliersrack" from Amazon and lots of Harbor Freight magnet bars in drawers for things like screwdrivers. Drawer liners are thin Yoga mats picked up at big lots type stores.

Tekton has a nice selection of organizers.

Toolbox organization is critical. By doing it right you simply do not lose tools. I have been using the same 10mm sockets for 11 years! At this point the meme isn't funny any more.

I am planning the Kaizen foam thing for my machine tool drawers. It can be a sickness.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/3/22 4:48 p.m.

I'm not a sticker guy so I'd leave it bare.  The sheet magnet system sounds like a good idea if you want them.  Check out the Garage Journal forum for organizing methods, there are any number of examples over there.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/4/22 3:18 p.m.

Pictures to come when Im on my personal computer, but that magnet idea is really cool. Then you get to 'save' the stickers, sort of. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/4/22 4:20 p.m.

Okay, first with anecdotal wisdom:

"A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind."

--oscar wilde--

Next comes modern science:

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/a-messy-desk-is-a-sign-of-genius-according-to-scie.html

So, if we may do a little extrapolation and equate "toolbox" with "desk", we find that the cost of a tidy toolbox exceeds its benefit.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/4/22 5:54 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Oh, no worries. My workbench is an absolute mess, but I can locate whatever tool I am looking for in seconds to deal with anything on this mess of a bench.

I used to be a piles of wrenches in a drawer guy. We all were in millwrighting. Then one day I made some wrench rails and cleaned up the drawer. Two of us had to grab some tools to replace a pump and I had them in like 5 seconds while I waited minutes for the other guy to grab his amongst that all too familiar sound of shuffling through a drawer of chrome-vanadium. it was a learning moment if I've ever had one.

pirate
pirate Dork
2/5/22 10:05 a.m.

An organized toolbox saves time and prevents the loss of tools. When I'm working on a project I wipe off tools with an old towel and put them back into toolbox at the end of each day unless I'm going to be working on projects the next day. I'm from the keep the toolbox clean, no stickers and certainly no fake patina camp. Patina will come from using tools. The stickers go on the shop beer fridge. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/5/22 2:55 p.m.

I keep stickers to a minimum following a theme and on the inside top cover only.  I also have a machinist box full of machinist and cutting tools.  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/7/22 8:10 p.m.

Just some of my organization for tools

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZIoAWPhXdn3XyTmTY00v7tWgkm7Jcugo1oqkWUiCjwEMHCViRd2tABGSUH7vYCTL