1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/1/22 9:00 a.m.
feature_image

This morning Toyota revealed two new GR models–GR Corolla Morizo and GR86 Special Edition–along with a new series for the GR86, the GR Cup Series.

The GR Corolla Morizo bumps power, cuts weight and improves handling over the rest of the GR Corolla line. This new model boasts 300 horsepower with torque increased to 295 lb.-ft.; the other …

Read the rest of the story

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/1/22 9:02 a.m.

That orange special edition with forged wheels is quite stunning

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/1/22 9:09 a.m.

stratasys custom body work? so they are going to be 3d printed 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/1/22 9:55 a.m.

I'm happy to hear of Toyota commitments to sport but I morn the move away from yellow, orange, red on white.  

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to trumant (Forum Supporter) :

The special edition anniversary ND in that orange was great as well. Toyota is really targeting the MX-5 with the 86 

Also, the apocalypse must be coming, as Toyota has managed to create a lust worthy Corolla. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/1/22 10:55 a.m.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/1/22 11:17 a.m.

oh yeah. That's hot.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

That does look good. 

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
6/1/22 11:28 a.m.

Anyone know why it's called the chorizo edition?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/22 11:45 a.m.

It's a shame race car drivers can't shift a normal transmission anymore. 

adam525i
6/1/22 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Definitely gone now :

That's a spicy Corolla! lol

Here is your answer though, I can see why we are getting some cool cars with this guy in charge!

https://toyotatimes.jp/en/spotlights/toyota_times/0002.html

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/1/22 11:51 a.m.

From Toyota:

The GR Corolla Morizo Edition, which was announced simultaneously in the United States, is a trim level aimed at achieving "an untamed energy that captivates customers" and "a driving taste that excites and that powers the urge to keep on driving" and was discerningly crafted, with Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) President and Master Driver Akio Toyoda, a.k.a. Morizo, directly behind the wheel of development prototypes.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/1/22 11:55 a.m.

I'm really not sure how to feel about the exhaust setup on that Corolla, but I love what Toyota is trying to do with this stuff and the 86 is pretty sharp.

David S. Wallens
6/1/22 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

It's like the AE86 all over again. (Although, technically, I guess the GR86 is the AE86's successor–or something like that.)

Too late to bring back the FX16 GT-S nameplate? 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/22 12:03 p.m.
adam525i said:

It's a shame race car drivers can't shift a normal transmission anymore. 

Can't? How about don't need to. Faster is faster.

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
6/1/22 12:15 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

From Toyota:

The GR Corolla Morizo Edition, which was announced simultaneously in the United States, is a trim level aimed at achieving "an untamed energy that captivates customers" and "a driving taste that excites and that powers the urge to keep on driving" and was discerningly crafted, with Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) President and Master Driver Akio Toyoda, a.k.a. Morizo, directly behind the wheel of development prototypes.

That quote doesn't tell the half of it. Adam525 linked an article that made me walk away with new found respect for this "Morizo", and for his mentor!

te72
te72 Reader
6/1/22 1:21 p.m.

Not sure how the rest of you do math where you're from, but "Engineers also slashed almost a hundred pounds of weight: 3186 pounds compared to 3292 pounds for the GR Corolla Circuit Edition." would suggest to me that this Morizo version is in fact, 106 lbs lighter.

Also, for some reason, that front picture of the orange 86 really reminds me of what a modern day Porsche 944 might have looked like. The headlights kinda look modern Porsche, the grille shape lends an 80's vibe to it, the overall proportions... I dig it.

David S. Wallens
6/1/22 1:33 p.m.

Fix the comment about the weight–thanks–and, yeah, is the 86 a modern 944? (With the heart of a 911, kinda?)

adam525i
6/1/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Why don't they throw a turbo on the spec race car too then? Faster is faster after all.

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is that it is a spec series so this is an area where a drivers skill could make the difference and that has been removed when they just have to pull a lever/hit a paddle. I can see how a standard road going transmission won't be happy in that environment (see Spec MX-5) even though it will stand up to track abuse with a driver that isn't going to sacrifice the trans for a tenth of second gain. If these cars running sequential transmissions leads to these being more affordable/available for all the privateers running these cars in other motorsports then that is a nice bonus.

David S. Wallens
6/1/22 1:42 p.m.

So, another thought.

MX-5 features a deep, deep pool regarding driving talent and setup.

Is the new Toyota series a way to get in on the ground floor of a possibly comparable series? (Also, $1m?)

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/1/22 3:24 p.m.

Call me jaded, but I don't think it's possible for Toyota to excite me. 
they catered to the geriatric set for far too long. Almost like jumping the shark, but instead of jumping the shark, they took a Rascal acooter around the shark and went to the buffet for a 3pm dinner. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 3:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, another thought.

MX-5 features a deep, deep pool regarding driving talent and setup.

Is the new Toyota series a way to get in on the ground floor of a possibly comparable series? (Also, $1m?)

That's my reaction. This is a straight shot at MX-5 Global Cup. They even use the same transmission. Why would you, as a driver, chose one over the other?

GRM, your assignment is to get both cars to a real racetrack and give us a report. I suspect it's going to be the usual lightweight vs powerful thing where the nature of the course determines which car has the upper hand.

Also, a 22 gallon fuel cell? How long are these races?

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/22 4:01 p.m.

I'm sort of laughing.  They are going to build cars for a series to promote the car, when they can't supply the market demand right now.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
6/1/22 4:19 p.m.

Pic of rear seat delete in the GRolla Morizo edition.

I think it's cool that they're doing it, but still think that rsd on a 5dr is rather odd.

What about giving us the GR Yaris instead?

That would make me happy.

That said, Renault did the same thing with one of their 5dr hatches...

...but me being a grumpy curmudgeon would still much prefer the earlier 3dr hatch R26R version.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/22 4:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Too late to bring back the FX16 GT-S nameplate? 

No.

Both of those cars are droolworthy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CvcWCE5arUqJWA6BnPm6p7NVdy1AHGpFvoEWVLwCMRcuvlm2SAo9wt3fD0KwDkFf