1 2 3
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/1/22 5:08 p.m.

I'll order a gr86 special edition today if I could pay MSRP for it. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/1/22 5:37 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I'll order a gr86 special edition today if I could pay MSRP for it. 

Good Times Racing - Bad decisions make great stories

Seconded. I missed the boat on the 30AE miata...now every time I see one for sale they're asking $10k over MSRP

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
6/1/22 5:59 p.m.

I wonder if you'll be able to get one of the GR 86 Cup cars without running the series?  That with a supercharged motor is very close to what I want for a track car...  :-)

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 7:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Also, a 22 gallon fuel cell? How long are these races?

There's been a "Spec GT86" class in the past at the VLN/NLS (but not the N24)... considering Akio/Morizo's history racing at the 'Ring, I'd guess that might be part of the motivation for that size cell?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/22 7:34 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

FWIW, not all MX-5 Cup cars are raced because yeah, track car. 

I'm assuming we'll hear more details on this one soon. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/1/22 7:40 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Fix the comment about the weight–thanks–and, yeah, is the 86 a modern 944? (With the heart of a [b]912[/b] kinda?)

Fixed that for you.  Okay, apparently I didn't completely fix it, but you get the idea.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 8:02 p.m.

They're really not slow...

a really well driven stock-ish one from the Toyota PE group finished 19th overall at OneLap only a couple weeks ago; besting a number of 911's in the process.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 8:16 p.m.
adam525i said:

It's a shame race car drivers can't shift a normal transmission anymore. 

They never could.  That is why no top racing tier uses them anymore. Even NASCAR no longer uses H pattern transmissions smiley.  Don't forget that the DSG transmission was developed in the 1980s for use in Porsche 962s and Audi S1 E2 rally cars.

Unless people like Fangio and Moss and Senna could shift in time measured in tens of milliseconds...

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
6/1/22 8:30 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My understanding was that these kinds of factory built race cars were often limited to licensed racers who intended to run them in whatever series they were designed for.  I'll be in the market for something in 2023. I can build my own and most likely will, but the option of a (relatively) affordable factory built machine to start with would be nice.  

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/1/22 8:44 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

From the sounds of it, I'm not sure how restrictive TRD will be with selling these cars. While the price hasn't been set, I'd expect it to between a Mazda MX-5 Cup and a Porsche Cup vehicle.

J.A. Ackley
6/1/22 8:46 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Keith Tanner said:

There's been a "Spec GT86" class in the past at the VLN/NLS (but not the N24)... considering Akio/Morizo's history racing at the 'Ring, I'd guess that might be part of the motivation for that size cell?

That's correct - a 22-ish gallon fuel cell. They built it with the capability of being raced in long-distance events.

J.A. Ackley
6/1/22 8:50 p.m.
Definitely gone now said:

Anyone know why it's called the chorizo edition?

See: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/where-did-gr-corolla-morizo-get-its-name/

It's quite the story, and quite the spicy car, indeed.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/22 10:17 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Keith Tanner said:

One of those cars was in the N24 this year and finished in 80th, no MX-5's though.

adam525i
6/1/22 10:21 p.m.

I missed this back in February but you can buy a Subaru BRZ Cup Car Basic or GR86 Cup Car Basic to race in the "two make" spec series in Japan, price converts to around $29,000 with a roll cage, 6-point belt mounting points, oil cooler and standard steelies! I doubt the NA version will be near that with it's fancy transmission.

David S. Wallens
6/1/22 10:40 p.m.
msterbeau said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My understanding was that these kinds of factory built race cars were often limited to licensed racers who intended to run them in whatever series they were designed for.  I'll be in the market for something in 2023. I can build my own and most likely will, but the option of a (relatively) affordable factory built machine to start with would be nice.  

It depends. I have seen these factory-built race cars limited to drivers committed to the series while others haven't had such restrictions. Sometimes, initially sales are limited to teams and then opened up to the general public. 

adam525i
6/1/22 11:05 p.m.

Looks like the MSRP for the Cup car will be $11.95...on iRacing! They really are going after the MX-5 cup car.

"Can’t make it to the racetrack? iRacing fans will soon be able to expand their garage with the addition of the Toyota GR86 Cup car, coming in 2023."

Now I really wish it was a standard transmission instead of the sequential.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/1/22 11:08 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to Definitely gone now :

From Toyota:

The GR Corolla Morizo Edition, which was announced simultaneously in the United States, is a trim level aimed at achieving "an untamed energy that captivates customers" and "a driving taste that excites and that powers the urge to keep on driving" and was discerningly crafted.....

Only 200?  This guy guesstimates $52,000?   

I love all the deleted stuff to save weight but who can really get one?  I'm still a big fan.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/22 3:16 a.m.

I'm in for the Morizo GR Yaris. Why cut weight in the Corolla when the Yaris already exists?

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/22 8:09 a.m.

Here's an "easy " fix to use the FX-16 nameplate. Since the FX-16 was always FWD just make the GR Corolla the FX-16 FWD. Done, new model, cuts weight and (hopefully) cost and complexity. Keep it available with three pedal manual transmission, sell a million of them and profit.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
6/2/22 8:44 a.m.

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

Wasn’t the FX16 label because it was a 16 valve 4 cyl? That math won’t work on 3 cyls.

David S. Wallens
6/2/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

Don't marsh our mellows. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 10:04 a.m.
madmrak351 said:

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

Wasn’t the FX16 label because it was a 16 valve 4 cyl? That math won’t work on 3 cyls.

If this bothers you, don't ever look at a BMW.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 10:06 a.m.
adam525i said:

I missed this back in February but you can buy a Subaru BRZ Cup Car Basic or GR86 Cup Car Basic to race in the "two make" spec series in Japan, price converts to around $29,000 with a roll cage, 6-point belt mounting points, oil cooler and standard steelies! I doubt the NA version will be near that with it's fancy transmission.

That is the least sexy looking factory race car in existence :) Aren't they supposed to all low with holes and splitters and bulges and wings and fat tires? That looks like the "from $29,000*" price leader.

* limited number available air conditioning a transmission and functioning windows are an optional extra cost option that every dealer will select

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/2/22 10:25 a.m.

Maybe it's a case of "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail", but now that I have a Jaguar F-Type, the GR86 Special Edition looks like it lifted a lot of its styling from the former.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/2/22 10:56 a.m.

I love that the "click here to order" button on the GR Cup page is just an email link. It's very skunkworks. 

Also, Stafford1500 to the GR86 courtesy phone. I have to imagine you might know a thing or two about these cars, right?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9t5aOCS7ngkCWASSrMMqRyBTswR8ITi231dax0w2KZCHt0X9SaclOsjTF6pAbnqo