John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/22 11:25 a.m.

Corolla: 300 hp out of 3cyl !!!!!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/2/22 11:37 a.m.

In reply to mr2peak :

NA homogation - new lamps and all the country specific road stuff needs to be tooled up since we don't have this gen yaris here. huge cost from a road legality standpoint. for a few hundred per year to a few thousand thats going to jump the price to the consumer through the roof. Toyota won't eat that bill - they pass the savings onto us! 

but if you don't live in North America - go buy a GR yaris then!

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
6/2/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

True that. My wife’s 2 liter 328 for example.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 1:20 p.m.
madmrak351 said:

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

Wasn’t the FX16 label because it was a 16 valve 4 cyl? That math won’t work on 3 cyls.

This is the company that made automatic equipped SR5 models.

SR5 meaning single rail 5 speed...

SpeedwayFan
SpeedwayFan New Reader
6/2/22 1:22 p.m.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Toyota runs the GR86 in NASCAR

jb229
jb229 New Reader
6/2/22 6:14 p.m.

In reply to mr2peak :

Couple reasons come to mind, first that the Yaris can't feasibly be done to TCR regs (requires at least 4 doors, which is why the Veloster N was fine) and second, tuning the Corolla chassis is currently a project because they're using a Corolla for Morizo's personal ride in the Super Taikyu series in Japan (Fuji 24hr this weekend on youtube!) so I assume they just applied what they were doing there to the existing GR Corolla. 

That being said, his Corolla is an experimental hydrogen model he's splitting with a gaggle of other toyota factory drivers and friends.  Also, we'll never get the GR Yaris in a million years.

cck
cck GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/2/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I think that's a bit exaggerated.  Used car prices are exceptionally high in general recently.  I have seen several 30AEs sell for close to MSRP, a couple with non trivial mods such that the sale price was arguably a pretty good deal.  ( my 30 AE is #53 and I am not looking to sell )

cck
6/2/22 7:47 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I was curious why Sadev and not say a DCT?  So I googled and found a reasonable explanation https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1130386_here-s-the-difference-between-sequential-and-dual-clutch-gearboxes

cck
6/2/22 7:52 p.m.

suspect this is a case of imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Mazda have established a great template, Toyota embracing it is at least partially even more impact of Mazda's efforts.

cck
6/2/22 7:52 p.m.

suspect this is a case of imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Mazda have established a great template, Toyota embracing it is at least partially even more impact of Mazda's efforts.

te72
te72 Reader
6/3/22 4:51 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

I always thought the "16" in FX16 was a reference to the 4AGE being a 1.6L engine, so I think we're good! The G16 is indeed also 1.6L, so you can rest easy. =)

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
6/3/22 7:00 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
Definitely gone now said:

Anyone know why it's called the chorizo edition?

See: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/where-did-gr-corolla-morizo-get-its-name/

It's quite the story, and quite the spicy car, indeed.

Lmfao son. That post was made after mine. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/4/22 4:44 p.m.

Part 1 of English coverage of the Fuji 24H race

As mentioned above, the #32 Corolla is turbo-hydrogen powered and among the drivers are Morizo (Akio Toyoda) and ex-WRC driver Jari-Matti Latvala.

Closing hours coverage starts at 22:30 CST.

Ars Technica article on the engine, and another one

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/6/22 9:46 a.m.
j_tso said:

Part 1 of English coverage of the Fuji 24H race

As mentioned above, the #32 Corolla is turbo-hydrogen powered and among the drivers are Morizo (Akio Toyoda) and ex-WRC driver Jari-Matti Latvala.

Closing hours coverage starts at 22:30 CST.

Ars Technica article on the engine, and another one

Thanks for sharing! I drove the hydrogen fuel cell-powered Mirai last Friday. Toyota's one of the few manufacturers dabbling in hydrogen. I believe Hyundai is the other, with the Nexo. Hydrogen has potential - abundant fuel source, with clean emissions (H2O) - but it's been a struggle to develop infrastructure to support it here in the U.S.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/6/22 2:59 p.m.

okay off topic but anyone else not noticing this PRIME opportunity?

the FRS needs this 3 cyl engine, ditch that stupid boxer and make it a real toyota. 300hp? RWD? prooven rally platform? its perfect. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/22 7:44 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

the FRS needs this 3 cyl engine, ditch that stupid boxer and make it a real toyota. 300hp? RWD? prooven rally platform? its perfect. 

The GT86 HAS this engine in a Japanese racing series.  Well, a 1.4l version.

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1366184.html

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/6/22 8:16 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

Ha, that was the first thing I thought when the GR Corolla was first unveiled.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eGlhpiJVGk3NSOaZPgjEV2qUZrAk8wuIyuF42JKxftazVhxPAAJzqL0CGPnraKG4