1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/13/13 1:16 p.m.

I was looking at the tow ratings for the 6spd FJ Cruiser with the 4.0L v6 (4700lbs) and it was pretty solid. I like the looks of it, and it's a Toyota. Does anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of them? Issues with the chassis? Good years/bad years?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/13/13 1:20 p.m.

insert never tow with anything less than an F-350

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/13 1:22 p.m.

A 106 inch wheelbase sounds a bit short for towing a race car to me. Other than that, I have no opinion on the FJ Cruiser specifically.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
11/13/13 1:32 p.m.

I've read many times that they have HUGE blind spots. So there's that..

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/13/13 1:36 p.m.

I've towed 2000+lbs with my 4cylinder/5sp subaru forester through the mountains with no drama btw.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f137/towing-1-25-tons-2012-forester-207634/

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/13/13 1:38 p.m.

What are you looking to tow?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/13/13 1:39 p.m.

What are you towing with it? Unless you're towing the Edmund Fitzgerald, you're probably ok.

If you are towing the Edmund Fitzgerald, I want to know how you pulled it up.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/13/13 1:42 p.m.

They are on the same frame as the Tacoma, so it should be able to to well.

As already asked, what are you planning on towing?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/13/13 1:44 p.m.

Gutted Honda civic cx hb + trailer/tow dolly.

Whichever I can find. Car is 1900ish lbs, I think lighter, but haven't actually bothered to weigh it, this is based on the interwebs.

I'm looking at f150s/Silverados/etc. I need to be able to haul dogs about, preferably in-cab. I live in San Francisco, so, the smaller, the better.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/13/13 1:49 p.m.

I don't think you'll have any troubles towing that

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
11/13/13 1:49 p.m.

How much weight will you be towing? I've towed with everything from Rangers, to Cherokees and wranglers, to 1 ton diesel duallies. I enjoy towing with the dually, but was pretty damn nervous towing with the Cherokee. The Cherokee was rated to tow around 5k, but didn't handle it very well. I would think the FJ would tow similar to our 2012 wrangler, which isn't all that great, but a lot of that is up to you. I'd think if you were comfortable towing over a ton with a Forrester through mountains you'd probably be completely fine with how the FJ handles a load within it's limits.

edit: just saw the weight. I don't think the FJ would have a problem with that.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/13/13 1:50 p.m.

The reason it seems appealing is the suv-ness of it without being vanilla, 4wd, and the dog-friendlieness while still being "relatively" compact.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/13/13 1:52 p.m.

towing w dolly sure, towing with trailer... not so much

BUT I have towed a jeep commanche with a jeep cherokee of the similar year...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/13/13 1:53 p.m.

I think you'll be fine.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
11/13/13 1:54 p.m.

I go slow when I drive normally (within limits of safety), I go slower when I tow.

Anyone know about the reliability of this 4L v6? It appears that it's used in a few different toyotas from what I can see.

Joshua
Joshua Dork
11/13/13 2:00 p.m.

My friend towed an Integra on an open trailer with his Tacoma (same motor and transmission) and it didn't break a sweat on some very hilly areas of town. I would say it depends on how far you are towing as well. They have great power and are super fun to drive!

NGTD
NGTD Dork
11/13/13 3:50 p.m.

I towed a 5000lb boat and trailer combo with a 98 Ford Explorer that was rated for 4400lb for years.

Keys:
1. Keep the speed down below 60 mph
2. Avoid cross winds like the plague. If you can't, slow down more
3. Make sure you have the correct tongue weight. A little too much is better than too little. Having the tail wag the dog is an absolute no-no with a short wheelbase tow rig. You will be upside down in the ditch before you know it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/13/13 3:50 p.m.

I love ours with the v6/six speed. I have not towed with it but antectodal evidence says you'll be fine. Fantastic engine and the six speed makes driving it great. It's one of the favorite vehicles we've ever had.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/13 3:51 p.m.

I have a 2005 Tacoma that I bought new. I tow and plow with it. Reliability won't be an issue. I just turned 96,000 miles. The only issues that I've had were a failed oxygen sensor, (admittedly, a total pain in the ass to change, no room, so the manifold had to come off to break it free) and new front wheel bearings last week. That's it.

Mine is a Double Cab with the long bed, which has the longest available wheelbase. My trailer is 23 feet long, so I really wouldn't want to tow with anything that was too much shorter. I have hauled 911s, Miatas, Jeep Wranglers and a Legacy GT wagon with it, and most trips have been several hours long. Understand that it's not a real torquey engine, but it will rev pretty high and never complain.

Here it is in action:

photo PorscheDay1032.jpg

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
11/13/13 4:27 p.m.

I just did this search following:

Balled up my tow vehicle

...And the FJ was in the mix toward the end. I started w/ the notion of a 2003 Ford e350 9-passenger 7.3 diesel van, added the later '06-07 6.0 motor versions, got off those and looked at Excursions and Suburbans, scaled back to Expeditions and Tahoes, then asked myself what I liked about the Tacoma I'd planned on keeping forever.

Toyota build quality, I said. So, do they make a Toyota Suburban? Sure, Sequoia. So I looked at those but they left me a little cold with how hard they're trying to be "luxe". So I looked at FJs and 4Runners, and the 4Runner hit the sweet spot.

I got a 2005 V8 Sport. You get full-time 4WD, 7300# towing capacity, a non-luxe but very nice interior, and the sport pack has 13.3" front brakes vs. 12.6" on SR5 and Limited package. I found one w/o the slide out parcel shelf which maximizes rear cargo space.

I paid $14.3 taxed and tagged for one w/ 100k miles in perfect shape. It had been leased a year then was sold as CPO and kept for 4 years +, so it had gotten dealership book service needed to maintain warranty.

Note - if you're shopping Toyotas, register at the corporate website owner portal - add the VIN # of any Toyota you're considering and you can view any maintenance done at dealerships.

I've had it a couple weeks and really like it so far - mileage is at close to 16 for the first tank so it's not hateful.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/13/13 4:49 p.m.

I tow with a V6 4Runner. A bit more wheelbase than the FJ, but not much. It tows an e30 on an open-deck trailer just fine.

How are the FJ brakes though? Our 4Runner has the sportedition 4pots, so it stops well. The only FJ I've ever driven seemed to have so-so brakes when not towing. Reminded me of my Jeep :)

D2W
D2W New Reader
11/13/13 5:28 p.m.

I have a FJ with 6 speed, 4wd, and 105,000 miles.

The Bad: Huge blind spot. 15 mpg is as good as it gets. Rock chips, the windshield is so upright every rock that hits it chips it.

The Good: Comfortable and nice driving, even on long trips. Powerful engine, it doesn't really need the 6 speed. A 5 would be fine with the same overall spacing. I skip shift all the time. I've had no reliability problems, only routine maintenance. One of the best off road vehicles I've ever had, it will go anywhere I point it when locked up and in ATTRAC. I have a 2500 lb boat that it tows with no problems.

Overall I love it, I wished it got better mileage, but with as much power as it has you have to give up something. I've been thinking of selling it and buying a newer one with less mileage now that they have stopped making them.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/13 7:21 p.m.
Woody wrote: Mine is a Double Cab with the long bed, which has the longest available wheelbase.

Yeah, that Double Cab wheelbase is 127 inches -- almost 2 feet longer than an FJ.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/13/13 9:01 p.m.
I enjoy towing with the dually, but was pretty damn nervous towing with the Cherokee. The Cherokee was rated to tow around 5k, but didn't handle it very well.

Well, that would be concrete proof that the tow ratings were full of E36 M3 back then. Cherokees SUCK for towing. Most i've towed with one was ~4600 lb and it was literally scary. Ive also towed about 3k many times and while it was 'ok' i would never say it felt 'good' at any time. My Dodge Dynasty which is around the same weight, tows the same things more safely and comfortably. I think that says something.

mdshaw
mdshaw New Reader
11/14/13 12:48 a.m.

We love our FJ Cruiser. We tow our fishing boat no problem. The windshield does get lots of chips & cracks but a local mobile windshield guy put in a new one for only $146.00. Had some codes - O2 sensor & cat. I installed a set of JBA long headers & all the O2 sensors & a pre-cat simulator since the precats are gone now. The low end power is much improved. The visibility is not optimum, the front pillars are so vertical & wide it hides cars at a distance. Something someone hasn't mentioned is resale value. They are the #1 highest resale value vehicle. Just saw a report, 84%, forgot the years & how long/age but I've seen different reports of the high values. Plus the offroad/4x4 capabilities are amazing. Ours is the auto & I didn't know it will stay in 1st when using the dual gate. Was impressive going up & down some very steep dirt, loose rock grades & in 4L it & stays in 1 & doesn't coast faster. Anyway, buy one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uHH6Dbn4Lnk8u3fWBYEfQkE3CZs388ZEMQhBat0WD3QDUfvHysFEm66ABu0sMR9K