J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/14/22 4:21 p.m.

When Toyota announced the GR Corolla Morizo edition, most enthusiasts focused on the big changes. Increased torque (22 lb.-ft. more than the Core and Circuit editions). Less weight (106 pounds, estimated). Of course, the lack of rear seats. (Sorry kids, you’ll have to find another way to get home.)

However, look closer at the details and you’ll see how …

Read the rest of the story

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/14/22 5:55 p.m.

This things has all the makings of a home run to me! Thank you Toyota for making a true performance car, without a Subaru engine!

What is going on with that roof paint?

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/22 6:09 p.m.

A four door with no rear seats.  I get it, but wow.  

WRXguy
WRXguy New Reader
6/14/22 6:36 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

It's carbon fiber

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/14/22 10:10 p.m.

Wow, never seen carbon fiber like that before. Cool.

Do they all have carbon fiber roofs or just the Morizo addition? I didn't see it mentioned in the article.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/14/22 10:12 p.m.
Noddaz said:

A four door with no rear seats.  I get it, but wow.  

Looks to be something similar to the Renault Megane Trophy R where the seats were replaced with a harness bar:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/22 7:25 a.m.

Now that is a proper fun looking car.  

Will it be coming to the US market?  

J.A. Ackley
6/15/22 8:17 a.m.
CyberEric said:

Wow, never seen carbon fiber like that before. Cool.

Do they all have carbon fiber roofs or just the Morizo addition? I didn't see it mentioned in the article.

The carbon fiber looks like that because it's forged carbon fiber rather than woven carbon fiber you more commonly see. Instead of using that woven fabric, which has a distinct pattern, forged uses chopped up pieces of carbon fiber, which creates a random pattern. From my research, the forged carbon fiber allows you to form the material in just about any shape you want, where you're limited with the traditional carbon fiber. You can also manufacture forged carbon fiber parts quicker.

The GR Corolla Circuit Edition also has a carbon fiber roof. The Core Edition does not.

alvint
alvint
6/15/22 1:24 p.m.

Can anyone confirm all models of GR Corolla bottom has added panels to improve aero..?

alvint
alvint New Reader
6/15/22 1:24 p.m.

Can anyone confirm all models of GR Corolla bottom has added panels to improve aero..?

J.A. Ackley
6/15/22 3:06 p.m.
alvint said:

Toyota said all the GR Corollas have a "flat underfloor" for improved aerodynamics.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/15/22 5:06 p.m.

That thing is gorgeous.  Unfortunately there's no way I'm shelling out  $50k for one

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/22 5:36 p.m.
calteg said:

That thing is gorgeous.  Unfortunately there's no way I'm shelling out  $50k for one

$50k - lolz. Thats probably the dealer market adjustment

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/22 9:05 a.m.

I saw someone ask if this is the first passenger car with four doors yet no back seat.

Back in the '50s, you could get a Chevy with two doors and no back seat, but other than a commercial-type vehicle (police, etc.) can we name another four-door car sold without a back seat? 

mhaskins
mhaskins New Reader
6/16/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Sold in the US would be even more of a challenge, the Giulia gtam and various renault megane (trophy r, r26r, others I'm sure) are the only four doors with a rear seat delete in my recent memory. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fPq3qa0w9h3CQxT1RNNy4Ft1fKY4e5HyJsi4gJS9UbzblF5LcuIft1OsYnejWP0w