1 2
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/22 10:08 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

I bought a '94 TT with BPU+ upgrades but with stock twins. It was fast and comfortable but the values then (2006 ish) were on the rise so I sold it and continued on with other cars. In hindsight, I should have stashed it and put it on bring a trailer these days. I love mkivs and 1/2j swapped mkiiis but I think I appreciate them more from a far than owning one. So the mkv with a 6sp is awesome, and I'm glad Toyota/BMW is making it but I'll enjoy it from a distance.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/15/22 9:31 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

You know you've been in the Supra game for a while when you call it BPU instead of FBO. Long live Supraforums!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/22 1:56 p.m.
fatallightning said:

You know you've been in the Supra game for a while when you call it BPU instead of FBO. Long live Supraforums!

HAHAHAHA I didn't even know the lingo has changed. I told on myself. Thanks for that laugh.

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/18/22 6:43 p.m.
fatallightning said:

What is FBO? I've heard of BPU / APU and "you've really gotta knock it off with the mad scientist ideas dude" but FBO?

Also, Crankwalk, hindsight is quite a thing. I got into my first Mk3 in 2005. Have since owned a Mk1, Mk2, two other Mk3's, and my wife has a Mk4. Maybe someday down the road I'll consider adding a Mk5 to the history, but I'm certainly in no rush. Just swapped out some blown JIC coilovers on her car for fresh HKS Hipermax S coilovers, rides soooo much better, no surprise there.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/20/22 8:34 p.m.
te72 said:
fatallightning said:

What is FBO? I've heard of BPU / APU and "you've really gotta knock it off with the mad scientist ideas dude" but FBO?

Also, Crankwalk, hindsight is quite a thing. I got into my first Mk3 in 2005. Have since owned a Mk1, Mk2, two other Mk3's, and my wife has a Mk4. Maybe someday down the road I'll consider adding a Mk5 to the history, but I'm certainly in no rush. Just swapped out some blown JIC coilovers on her car for fresh HKS Hipermax S coilovers, rides soooo much better, no surprise there.

Full Bolt on?

te72
te72 HalfDork
9/22/22 10:26 a.m.

Makes sense in this context I suppose, thanks. Learned something new today. =)

DRSZone
DRSZone GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/18/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I hope they sell a million of them so I can build a time attack full aero weapon gutted.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/22 1:53 p.m.

FBO is for BMWs. It's like showing off that you have done "everything"

BPU is for Supras. It's Basic Performance Upgrade because who in their right mind drives a stock Supra, they are all modded

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 2:03 p.m.

The FD guys used BPU/BPU+/APU when they were new, too.

That always kinda bothered me because it is so subjective.  Pulling the engine, bridge porting it, and sticking a T88 on it is pretty basic.

gschwarzer
gschwarzer
11/18/22 4:11 p.m.

I see a few at MSRP if you search Toyota.com for the 2023 A91 MT, and a few that say 'call dealer' so guessing they are the ones that want a premium.  Love the CU Later Gray exterior, not sure on the Hazelnut interior.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/18/22 4:25 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That always kinda bothered me because it is so subjective.

I used to tell people at meets that my BMW had full bolt ons. Yes, the new engine bolted right in .

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/22 4:32 p.m.
buzzboy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I used to tell people at meets that my BMW had full bolt ons. Yes, the new engine bolted right in .

A turbo Miata is "a little intake and exhaust work" :)

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/19/22 5:15 p.m.
mr2peak said:

BPU is for Supras. It's Basic Performance Upgrade because who in their right mind drives a stock Supra, they are all modded

My Mk2 was stock apart from the 6M swap some previous owner had done, it was a fine car. My first Mk3 was stock too, apart from the suspension and minor stereo upgrades.

Granted, those were my NA cars. Turbo cars though... I mean, it's hard not to modify them when a few pipe changes picks up an extra 20-30% power output. Her Mk4 puts down 380whp on an Aristo swap with stock ecu, stock fuel system, stock turbos, stock engine. Not bad for something that was rated at 280hp to start. =P

350z247
350z247 Reader
11/20/22 1:45 p.m.
te72 said:

I said that the lack of a manual meant this car was a non-starter for me, as a Supra owner. The BMW bits are currently the deal breaker. If I see these cars hitting 100k, 200k with only minor issues and still holding up cosmetically as well as the last Supra did, I'll consider them having gone through trial by fire and welcome them into the family, perhaps formally.

For the money though, I'd rather have a GR Corolla and $20k for tires and whatever mods might tickle my fancy. Bet it's just as quick or quicker at autocross, provided the gearing is suitable.

Can confirm, having a second gear that runs to 70+ and a flexible powerband makes for a capable Supra. My 87 is weirdly enough similar in performance to the Mk5, apart from the newer car having the benefit of variable valve timing.

I don't think Toyota (or BMW if it makes you feel better or worse?) cares if you consider the MKV a "real" Supra because it's not up to you. It's a Supra. They're selling well, they've proved themselves monsters on track, and now, it comes with a manual. There will never be a 3JZ; so, just be happy they made a fantastic Supra and not whatever became of the Mitsubishi Evo...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/22 2:07 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
buzzboy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

A turbo Miata is "a little intake and exhaust work" :)

An LS1 powered one is stock with minor bolt ons.  It's all too subjective.  

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/30/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Fair enough, except it is, to a degree, up to people like me, who have owned 7 Supras in the last couple decades. I vote with my dollars, and when I saw the FT-1 concept at Supras in Vegas 2015, I said right then and there, "I will buy one of these if they don't screw it up."

Guess what? They screwed it up.

Can confirm though, they are indeed monsters on the track, but at the end of the day, I suspect they won't be that for terribly wrong before the myriad of electrical gremlins and parts failures rear their heads.

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/1/22 9:51 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

Except M3s, M4s, M2s, and to a less common but all the more special extent, M5s have been filling up track weekends for decades. Are they infallible? No, but all cars eventually break something on track. People act like the MkIII and MkIV Supras are the greatest cars ever made; when, in reality, they are just really good cars built during a unique time when Japan could spend absurd amounts of money unnecessarily overbuilding their engines. A 300hp engine does not need to be able to withstand 1000hp; that's wasteful and stupid on the part of the manufacturer.  Please continue to hate on an amazing car for illogical reasons and watch Toyota never make a single fun car ever again. The fact they made a sports car at all at a time when the entire market is jumping on the electric bandwagon is a miracle, but God forbid they ask the Kings of the Straight Six for some help. I don't see Aston Martin fans blowing up forums over their now AMG sourced V8s.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
12/2/22 10:07 a.m.
yupididit said:

Now the only thing to complain about is the BMW engine. 

Anyone in the earlier threads who stated they'd buy one if it came manual going to now buy a manual version?

What's to complain about with B58?

te72
te72 HalfDork
12/3/22 8:24 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

Glad you can appreciate the economic climate these cars were developed in. I wouldn't call overbuilding an engine wasteful though. Ever heard the theory that if you want a 500hp engine to be reliable, build it to make 1000hp? I used to assume it was that Toyota didn't have the luxury of FEA back in the 80's when the JZ (and other engines of that era that are also surprisingly stout) were developed, but after seeing what the G16 has been putting out, I think it's just the Toyota way to overbuild their enthusiast engines.

When reliability is who you are, at your core, it benefits those of us who like to tinker. I don't think BMW has ever had that mindset, as evidenced by the strange things that seem to plague their cars shortly after the warranty expires. I mean, a 300k Toyota is no strange thing. I don't think many of us have come across many 300k BMW's, have we?

As for calling them the Kings of the Straight Six, come on now. GM, Dodge, and Ford have all made more inline 6's than BMW, though I'd say BMW did some great work on the old S-series engines in the E36/46. I recall a time when HPF was making turbo setups for those cars and making for quite the rivaly with the Mk4 guys.

I can't speak for the Aston Martin folks, but I do find it quite telling that the GR Corolla has made a point to make you notice that the car is "All Toyota". I wouldn't say it's an apology, but... it sure feels that way. =P

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/4/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

They are the Kings of the Straight Six not just because of sheer volume, but the quality of the engines. From the M1's M88/1 to the current S58 which makes as much power as the V10 in my M5, they have made more great straight sixes than any other car company: M88 (M1), M20 (E30 325i), S38 (E28/E34 M5), S50 (E36 M3), S54 (E46 M3), M54 (E39 530i/E46 330i), N54 (E90 335i/1 Series M), S55 (F80 M3), B58 (M340i/Supra), and S58 (G80 M3). Most companies used them as base engines for their mundane cars before completely giving up on them in the 70s and 80s for V6s, notable performance exceptions being Toyota (3 great engines), Nissan (2), Mercedes (2), Ford Australia (1), TVR (1; I wish we got these), Volvo (1), Aston Martin (1), Jaguar (1 but they used it for like 45 years so that's impressive), and Cummins (basically all of them). Picking the "best" straight six is always going to depend on what your value from an engine, but BMW has embraced the straight six the same way Porsche has the flat six or Subaru the flat 4. It's just their thing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/4/22 11:07 a.m.

Volvo had several straight sixes, including a VWAG six.  The last one was garbage made to fit where an inline five fit... Toyota had a good six that was so close a copy of a Chevy engine that some gaskets interchanged. No word if Toyota kept the splash oiling system.

The main issue with inline sixes is the long ropy crankshaft and the harmonics thereof, and the cooling system suffers the longer the engine is.  BMW did an end run around the cooling problems with the M1's engine by feeding the coolant into the engine via manifold along the exhaust ports, with a width wise coolant flow. Just like a '55 Pontiac V8.

te72
te72 HalfDork
12/5/22 10:33 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

You're a fellow fan of history, I can appreciate that. I can respect that BMW made engines that were noteworthy for the performance, but I respect durability and longevity more. You did happen to leave out all the variants of GM inline 6, as well as the Dodge and Ford variants, which can all be made to put out respectable numbers, considering their limitations in head design.

When you can show me a BMW that has made it to 200k with only a water pump and spark plug change in all that time, let me know. Or one that someone doubled the output without significantly shortening the life of it. Like you said, what you value in engines is different. Supras are made to be tinkered with, and I don't think the Mk5's are going to cope with the tinkering lifestyle to the same degree. You said there's never going to be a 3JZ, but I'm guessing you didn't know that you can buy billet JZ blocks, and heads that have dual vvti *and* vtec for the JZ... Granted, it's money, yeah, but little repairs add up to a lot eventually too, and I would assume BMW shop rates are just as high as anyone else.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/22 1:22 p.m.
te72 said:

In reply to 350z247 :

Glad you can appreciate the economic climate these cars were developed in. I wouldn't call overbuilding an engine wasteful though. Ever heard the theory that if you want a 500hp engine to be reliable, build it to make 1000hp? I used to assume it was that Toyota didn't have the luxury of FEA back in the 80's when the JZ (and other engines of that era that are also surprisingly stout) were developed, but after seeing what the G16 has been putting out, I think it's just the Toyota way to overbuild their enthusiast engines.

When reliability is who you are, at your core, it benefits those of us who like to tinker. I don't think BMW has ever had that mindset, as evidenced by the strange things that seem to plague their cars shortly after the warranty expires. I mean, a 300k Toyota is no strange thing. I don't think many of us have come across many 300k BMW's, have we?

As for calling them the Kings of the Straight Six, come on now. GM, Dodge, and Ford have all made more inline 6's than BMW, though I'd say BMW did some great work on the old S-series engines in the E36/46. I recall a time when HPF was making turbo setups for those cars and making for quite the rivaly with the Mk4 guys.

I can't speak for the Aston Martin folks, but I do find it quite telling that the GR Corolla has made a point to make you notice that the car is "All Toyota". I wouldn't say it's an apology, but... it sure feels that way. =P

BMW I6s were incredibly stout until the E46 era. A byproduct of tiny bearings from the bore spacing of a fuel efficient engine designed to rev to 4500 in the early 80s, to going to 2000 and making one rev past 8k with more than the double the power. 

The old 3.5 M30 engines had no problem holding well past 500whp with nothing more than ARP headstuds and a big ol turbo. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/5/22 1:38 p.m.

Mostly, a heavily overbuilt engine is the result of poor engineering.  If you have a 300hp engine that is reliable to 1000, that probably just means your engineers cheaped out on stress analysis or are using hand me down parts from an existing engine.

Chrysler was testing the original B engines in the 50s on by feeding them 60psi of shop air (!) and letting 'em bellow on the dyno for a few hours.   They couldn't go 100k before needing at least one overhaul, though, and often the blocks would have to be scrapped because the main webs cracked.

te72
te72 HalfDork
12/6/22 1:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I'm curious what happened to BMW. They were fairly reliable through the E36 era, I will acknowledge that, but I wasn't sure where the point was that things started going south for longevity. It always seemed to me that the engines were fairly solid, but in more recent years the stuff attached to the engine is the cause of the headaches. Planned obsolecense?

Pete, I suspect that the silly degree of stoutness of the JZ engines was a byproduct of Toyota's rivalry with Nissan on the track. Kinda the old Chevy approach of building a race engine for the street, for homologation purposes. "It only makes 290hp" Chevy said... "It only makes 276hp" Toyota said...

Feeding an engine shop air sounds pretty fun though. There's a place that sells setups to run compressed air injection as a means to feed a Chevy engine for drag purposes. Outputs were quite impressive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d5qcok70DjehvUHPfumQycqOidc0kNS2gnaGIxj8z79v6MaOGK8e70y173msRuPg