That's the best name ever. Aygo Crazy.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/08 11:29 a.m.

The gallery shots are sweet as well ;)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/13/08 12:16 p.m.

I'm just wondering why the turbo'd that engine to make it make all of..... 10hp more than the Elise.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/08 1:52 p.m.

Because a 190 hp K-series is a fairly fragile little critter, and the turbo engine probably has a lot more bottom end.

(edit) I just realized you're probably talking about a Toyota-engined Elise. Duh.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/13/08 2:12 p.m.
Keith wrote: Because a 190 hp K-series is a fairly fragile little critter, and the turbo engine probably has a lot more bottom end. (edit) I just realized you're probably talking about a Toyota-engined Elise. Duh.

Well, either way, it still proves the validity of my issue. :P

Modern K-series are making over 200hp anyways. I daresay they're more robust than the 2zzge toyota engine anyways. K-series are strung out at 200hp out of 2 litres. 2zzge puts out 190hp out of 1.8 litres in the Elise. I would be hard-pressed to believe even with that being said, that another 10hp couldn't be wrung out of a 2zzge through tuning or breathing for cheaper than a turbo setup.

I don't know if you've ever been in a 2000+ Celica GTS with intake, header, exhaust, and a mild tune, but that little bugger will flat out HAUL for what it is.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/13/08 3:13 p.m.

i wouldn't say the k series is fragile, the 20a2 i had in my rsx-s made 200hp, the stock valvetrain could handle 9000rpm, the stock bottom end, around 9600. cars with aftermarket crank, rods, and valvetrain can spin 10k+

seann
seann New Reader
6/13/08 3:31 p.m.

You could store books on that booty!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/13/08 4:22 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: i wouldn't say the k series is fragile, the 20a2 i had in my rsx-s made 200hp, the stock valvetrain could handle 9000rpm, the stock bottom end, around 9600. cars with aftermarket crank, rods, and valvetrain can spin 10k+

ddavidv was talking about the old BMC K series..

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/13/08 7:54 p.m.

yeah, a Honda K24 is much different from the K-series in a Rover.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/13/08 8:55 p.m.

A real life Hot Wheels!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/14/08 12:19 a.m.

Why, oh WHY would they not consider bringing something like that here?!?!

25,000 of them would VANISH from dealerships in a flash. Rad little car. Shades of the old Corolla FX16.

Luke
Luke HalfDork
6/14/08 1:54 a.m.

Brilliant!

They should ditch the new AE86 thing and start making these instead, so long as price could be kept within the realms of affordability for grassroots types.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/14/08 3:02 a.m.

Photobucket

so I guess being about 4yrs late to the party, and about 65 ponies shy, toyota is perfectly placed to take over the top spot from GM.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/14/08 3:10 a.m.

Photobucket

what? ay ( I ) go crazy? very fan-boi.

Luke
Luke HalfDork
6/14/08 4:04 a.m.

Well it's not like stuffing a powerful motor in the back of a small car is an original idea in itself (Renault 5 turbo, Festiva Shogun), but of these two I prefer the Toyota.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/14/08 2:09 p.m.
gamby wrote: Why, oh WHY would they not consider bringing something like that here?!?! 25,000 of them would VANISH from dealerships in a flash. Rad little car. Shades of the old Corolla FX16.

I think the article about this on autoblog sheds some light:

"According to those who have driven the Aygo Crazy, the balance of the car has been upset with the engine now mounted over the rear wheels. Snap oversteer is the rule"

I think liability might be a concern. Having said that I would line up to buy one of those mythical 25k production units in second!

QuasiMondo
QuasiMondo New Reader
6/14/08 3:00 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
gamby wrote: Why, oh WHY would they not consider bringing something like that here?!?! 25,000 of them would VANISH from dealerships in a flash. Rad little car. Shades of the old Corolla FX16.
I think the article about this on autoblog sheds some light: "According to those who have driven the Aygo Crazy, the balance of the car has been upset with the engine now mounted over the rear wheels. Snap oversteer is the rule" I think liability might be a concern. Having said that I would line up to buy one of those mythical 25k production units in second!

You mean Toyota doesn't know how to set up a mid-engined car? Don't they have some old technician who built the MR2 hanging around that they could pick his brain?

On another note, they finally did right by putting the instrument cluster back in front of the driver where it belongs. That was my biggest pet peeve against the Yaris.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/14/08 3:45 p.m.
so I guess being about 4yrs late to the party, and about 65 ponies shy, toyota is perfectly placed to take over the top spot from GM.

?????

Top spot from GM? Where? What?

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
6/14/08 5:41 p.m.

I would almost consider getting rid of the Miata for that....

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
6/15/08 6:34 a.m.

I go crazy... in the JC Whitney catalog...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7jmkTzplfgC8Vbdu0AXN0PJOhsSzeHFShF8E97DhmtYQ50yTSEfLlPXPaB7Ph0Ay