keethrax
keethrax None
7/13/08 4:19 p.m.

I'm looking at a new car (mazdaspeed3), which will have TPMS.

Living in MN, I'd also like to get a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. I'd like this set to be as cheap as possible, as I don't actually plan on driving thee car in the winter (it would just be nice to know it was a usable backup plan in the winter months).

Would running wheels without sensors cause me headaches?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/13/08 4:43 p.m.

just an idiot light on the dash. unless someone has a hack to turn it off

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/13/08 4:47 p.m.

I can deal with an idiot light.

And if not, well that's what a bit of electrical tape is for.

Thanks.

I figured that's all that it would be, but it's going to be replacing a 20+ year old car. Just trying to get a handle on all this newfangled technology...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/13/08 6:42 p.m.

Look harder.

There could be more issues.

I don't know much about the Mazda programing, but some cars are more integrated.

A Mercedes will send a signal to the main office, who will email you that your warranty is at risk of being voided. I'm sure the Mercedes also stores the readings in the CPU. Ugh!

I would guess the Mazda is just an idiot light, but it's worth looking into more carefully.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/13/08 7:01 p.m.

the mazda is just an idiot light. before you get the tire/wheel setup, look at some of the mazda for sale forums, people are selling wheels and sensors all the time

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/13/08 9:00 p.m.

I believe the Corvette won't let you turn off the stability control if the TPMS light is on. Thre was an article recently in another magazine, but I forget which one (either C&D or R&T, neither of which as good as GRM)

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/14/08 4:13 p.m.

that seems counterintuitive to me. seems like if there is a low tire, or a spare of different size on, you wouldn't want the stability system thinking you were sliding and take action when it wasn't needed

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/14/08 4:28 p.m.

OTOH, if a tire blows out (more likely if significantly underinflated), you want the stability control there because many people are too stupid to properly handle a blowout.

How do the sensors pair to the car, if at all? Is there some sort of authentication, or will any sensors work with any car?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/14/08 10:45 p.m.

There are individual ID's. They are necessary, so the computer doesn't pick up the signal from the car in the next lane.

And yes, TPMS sensors can be used for tracking a vehicle's location in real time. Speed tracking as well. And the sensors are not anonymous- they can be specifically identified with your car.

Look soon for your speeding ticket in your mailbox, or for legislators to introduce mileage adjusted road taxes.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
7/15/08 7:32 a.m.
SVreX wrote: A Mercedes will send a signal to the main office, who will email you that your warranty is at risk of being voided. I'm sure the Mercedes also stores the readings in the CPU. Ugh!

If my mazda warranty experience is any indicator, they'll find an excuse to void your warranty LONG before the car sends them any kind of signal.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/15/08 12:53 p.m.
SVreX wrote: There are individual ID's. They are necessary, so the computer doesn't pick up the signal from the car in the next lane.

That's what I would have expected. What do you do if you have two sets of wheels, or if you just have a sensor go bad? I assume the manual documents some sort of procedure for pairing a new set of sensors. Or do you have to take it to the dealer and hand over several hundred of your hard-earned to have them turn the key off and on twice while pressing the seek button on the radio?

SVreX wrote: And yes, TPMS sensors can be used for tracking a vehicle's location in real time. Speed tracking as well. And the sensors are not anonymous- they can be specifically identified with your car.

That would probably be a bit tricky. They can't transmit with that much power, so they'd have to put some sort of interrogators at regular intervals on the highway. Then again, Houston does that with toll tags. For now they're just using it for traffic information, but I foresee speed policing in the not too distant future.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/08 6:54 p.m.

Thanks guys, I feel better about my Samurai's fused-on oil drain bolt and my AE92's irreplaceable distributor now.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
7/15/08 8:09 p.m.

Haha, mazda would never include the pairing procedure in the manual. Hell, the programming procedure for my P5's keyless entry is, according to the owners manual, "take the vehicle to an authorized service center". They charge $75. Procedure consists of turning the key off an on a few times and pressing some buttons. 30 seconds max. I keep a printout of the process in the glove box since the car decides to "forget" my remotes about every 6 months.

The internet will know how to disable or trick the system somehow.

Also, the c6 z06 supposedly goes in to low power limp mode if the sensors are missing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQa0XGWvM1MKF7sJwl7k3hiPvC4YP2Jv7HkNewkEmg1BBEoQuYQuZ4F4bJWjdUp3