1 2
ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/23/21 10:33 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
 It’s a tool designed to go fast, stick to the road like glue, and stop like a hungry coyote hitting a fake tunnel painted on the side of a mountain.

Thank you for that bit. Having grown up with those cartoons, it really made me smile. yes

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/23/21 11:09 a.m.

I feel like this describes the track day Circle Of Life that so many of us go through.

Once upon a time I built a turbo Miata street/track car.  It was fast and I loved it, and it was an ego trip to run with the fast/expensive cars.  As I got to be a better driver the car became more needy, and I got tired of always fixing things.  Things I needed to do to make it better for the track made it worse for the street.  I sold it and got a Cayman, with the idea that it would be even faster with less headaches even in stock form.  In my head it made sense, and it turned out to be 100% true.  Then the practical aspects of tracking a Cayman started to show themselves... $1200 for tires, $600 for brake pads, track day insurance that costs more than the actual track day.  I found that I was going to the track less often.  My learning process slowed because I wasn't pushing myself or the car as much, out of fear that I'd break my baby.  The novelty of being "fast" started to wear off, especially when some hotshoe in a slower car would show up and drive my wheels off.

Long story short, I kept the Cayman for street use and got another Miata, fully prepped for the track.  The car doesn't help me be fast like the Cayman did, I have to do that part on my own.  I've started racing and my driving continues to improve.  It's a better experience all around than tracking the Cayman (as much as I love it).  When I started with the track hobby I had more experienced friends who told me to just start with a Spec Miata and go from there.  I didn't listen, because nobody listens.  I feel like most people need to go through this cycle to fully understand it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
4/23/21 12:12 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Yes this exactly; I've always enjoyed the Datsun but spurred on by some good overall finishes as well as not having learned my lesson with the D-sports racers, I started tuning the Datsun harder, and go figure it became more fragile.  As the car became more fragile it was less enjoyable. As I've mentioned numerous times; I'm cheap and faster usually means a lot more money, for me that sucks the joy out of racing and track days.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/22 12:52 p.m.

I have thread on here where I'm attempting to rectify my emotion car's complete lack of speed.

It's a rather grueling undertaking, especially as the father of 3 young children.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/12/22 1:22 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

That pretty much nails it.

We sold our ZL1, because we had more fun driving the 135hp Miata on track.  And it's not just the David/Goliath factor on track (though it is fun to run down 'faster' cars).  It's a more analog experience, and IMHO that's about more than just power.  Newer performance cars are incredibly fast, but they're also so competent they can be sterile.  Something like Keith's Targa Miata is fast, but it's also so much more involving than a new car with similar performance.  There's a balance in there somewhere, and as noted, there's always going to be someone faster, so why not focus on the enjoyment over the absolute speed.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/12/22 5:37 p.m.
BA5 said:

I have thread on here where I'm attempting to rectify my emotion car's complete lack of speed.

It's a rather grueling undertaking, especially as the father of 3 young children.

I've settled in to what seems to be the sweet spot with the Datsun.  The car is still slow but much faster than it once was. It's reliable and enjoyable to drive. Making it faster is quite easy but makes the car more maintenance intensive. 

I'm a big proponent of work life balance, I'm also a big proponent of car life family balance.

Dan Wink
Dan Wink GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/22 9:39 p.m.

I think this counts. I have been seeking a Cayman and I really wanted a 987.2 base car. I wanted something mid-engined with great bones, but wanted a bit of slow car fast. The 2.9 is 'only' 260 ish HP but loves to rev (and is not direct injection as a nice side benefit). 

of course I immediately tuned and added headers which is stupid because I could have bought a faster S model for the money plus mods, but....

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/13/22 2:07 a.m.

Been contemplating this myself.  Built the NA Miata I always wanted.  Pretty much exactly what I always thought the ultimate NA Miata should be - '99 head plus header/exhaust and megasquirt, nice suspension, wheels, A7s, racing seat/harness, etc..  But after the K20 Exocet I just don't get the same visceral thrill from the Miata.  It's fast (as Miatas go), fun, and a well sorted car, but lacks the adrenaline rush of a twitchy lightweight car with a nuts power/weight ratio.

It also lacks the "I built this" ownership that the Exocet had - hours spent hacking away and wrenching to make everything fit together, play nicely, and go fast.

@JG - After the mean blue C5, I'm curious how you'll connect with a car that's slow enough to let you unpack and eat your bag lunch on the front straight.  Didn't work for me.

RFarver48
RFarver48 New Reader
2/13/22 7:44 a.m.

I completely understand the emotion versus reality quandary.  Currently I am building a D15A3 engine with dual side-draft Weber 40mm carburetors for my '87 CRX.  Everyone involved with racing, be it ITC, H Prod, Honda Challenge, Time Trials, knows this will not be a fast car.  Over and over I have been told that I am wasting my time, effort and money on this project.  Well, I don't care.  This is the engine I want to build.  It is old school, like me, and I have always wanted a dual Weber carburetor set up on my car.  It just looks so damn cool.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/22 3:20 p.m.

Barely a third the horsepower of the other car I run. But sooo fun.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/13/22 5:07 p.m.

In reply to RFarver48 :

I totally get where you are coming from. This is the engine in my Datsun. A motor swap would be the easy button but I like the original.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/13/22 10:16 p.m.

In reply to RFarver48 :

I love watching the old Hondas out there mixing it up anyway. Emotion has won out for me. I have been pedaling my old Civic Si as hard as I can for 20 years and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

1999-2000 Nopi Nationals

Road Atl 2012.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/22 10:09 a.m.

I was just thinking about NOPI the other day as I drove by the old NOPI location in Norcross.  

17 year old me thought it was soooooooo cool.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/22 11:14 a.m.

I'm not so sure it's a trade.  They're just different emotions.  For most of us this car thing is a hobby and therefore really all about emotion and the emotion we're chasing can change over time. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/22 12:05 p.m.

When this thread popped up I was like, "I've always wanted one of those since I was young."

Just a quick look around at prices. "Well, I guess that's never gonna happen."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lGxqgATWrt9dIIxkpi36y2gFM43wthX9dOlnJJPi097HbB79BRRvphfZP2aRevBD