GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/22 3:39 p.m.

Been thinking about driving my 86 to Florida on a set of tires with low tread, and getting new Conti ECFs there to do the Challenge with and drive back on. I can save enough by buying the tires in the US where they're cheaper to offset mounting costs and maybe half of my fuel costs.

I guess the real question is, how much tread should I expect to lose driving between Ontario and Florida with a tire-friendly stockish toe but big camber alignment? I'll drive down on either PS4Ses or an already-low-tread set of Indy 500s. If both happen to be low in October I may basically be forced to go ahead with this plan. Switching tire choice to something in the 300TW ballpark could be an option if I'd be losing a lot of tread.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/22 5:30 p.m.

A coworker mentioned that he did the drive before in a stock Crown Vic on all-seasons and found that the trip didn't take any appreciable amount of tread out of the tires.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/26/22 5:58 p.m.

The Aristocrat Q45, the second Q45...  

I bought 16" RE71s for it.  While still at home it ran an autox as a two driver car and then two drag nights before leaving for The Challenge.  Since that is a 1,000 mile drive for me to FL, the 200 tw tires had about 2500 road miles on them (and 2 autox and 2 drag) before The Challenge began.  Took 10th overall at the event.  Then, drove another 1,000 hyw miles back to Ohio.  The car did a couple more autox and drag afterwards and may have had a total of 5,000 road miles when I sold the car to Pat.  The tires still seemed good.   The car was not on a radical alignment, just "normal alignment."   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5fyKjPYiVEttpdPNgcC2jHNgi7a137k5EL4L3fCIjLX7SEY4IzMqk4Vv4tfosVK1