1 2
NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 10:47 a.m.

Travis Pastrana and Hoonigan dropped their latest Gymkhana video this morning. Pastrana is driving his EA82 Subaru wagon, which warms this former '93 Loyale owner's heart, and does some absolutely monster jumps in this one. There are also appearances from a monster truck (Dennis Anderson's son Ryan in the Sonuva Digger), Cleetus MacFarlane in his 6-second El Camino, a jet, a jet ski, a helicopter, and a bunch of mega trucks. Pretty wild.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
12/6/22 10:48 a.m.

ken who?

the bar is raised 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

There's definitely two different discernible styles between them. Ken is more clinical and precise, Travis is more raw and brutal.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/22 11:10 a.m.

This is my favorite Gymkhana in a long, long time. Gymkhana 5 was the last one I enjoyed Ken's driving and Gymkhana 7 was pretty wild because the Hoonicorn was such a wild, raw car.

That botched base jump from Travis was wild. The dude's parachute barely opens, he body slams the ground and is nonchalant like "I'm good but I might have a broken pelvis."

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
12/6/22 11:19 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

There's definitely two different discernible styles between them. Ken is more clinical and precise, Travis is more raw and brutal.

too bad he can't translate those clinical precision skills out on the rally stages instead of crashing, we could have finally seen subaru off the podium for the season here in the states but not even an Ex-WRC could fix that... 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
12/6/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I remember the news story when he got hurt with that and some of the pics had him in the suit with hooniverse on it, was waiting to see how that played out.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/22 11:35 a.m.

Very entertaining. That wagon took a beating. The "active aero" sure looked cool, though I don't know how much it was actually doing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 11:49 a.m.

Also, seriously underrated shot at around 3:48, where Travis makes that turn and Cleetus in his El Camino blows by in the other lane. Despite annihilating the tires for a quarter mile, that thing is still absolutely hauling ass.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/6/22 11:55 a.m.

Clapping Applause GIF - Clapping Applause Bravo - Discover & Share GIFs

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 11:59 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

That botched base jump from Travis was wild. The dude's parachute barely opens, he body slams the ground and is nonchalant like "I'm good but I might have a broken pelvis."

I'm pretty sure that Travis is not human. As I recall, in Gymkhana 5 when Ken is doing donuts around him while he did a wheelie on a dirtbike, he had mangled his photo in a crash fairly recently, and wasn't even supposed to be walking, let alone riding a dirtbike.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
12/6/22 12:36 p.m.

Impressive vehicle control for all those involved, including the helicopter pilot.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/22 1:49 p.m.

That car had to have been sacrificd for this video. It took some serious abuse!

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 2:27 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Very entertaining. That wagon took a beating. The "active aero" sure looked cool, though I don't know how much it was actually doing.

According to the introduction video, the aero if activated with air cylinders. They looked pretty flimsy to me, more decorative than functional. That said, man does sit look cool. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/6/22 2:29 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I loved that shot too, the El Camino flying up and the way the Subaru pulls away right when he deploys his parachute... *chef's kiss*

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
12/6/22 2:32 p.m.

Also, the 50/50 grind was quite possibly the sickest thing I've ever seen in a gymkhana video, and that's a pretty high bar to clear.

(though I'll note that I first saw a stunt like this on netflix's Hyperdrive, but this took it up several notches to say the least)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/22 2:58 p.m.

Caught it during my lunch break.  I really want to go look for photos of the front suspension on that wagon.  Got to be pretty solid for it to have survived all it did.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
12/6/22 3:36 p.m.

That was impressive.  The base jump, specifically the landing, not so much

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
12/6/22 3:45 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

BIG Reiger struts, same stuff that's under most higher end rally cars:

VSC Huckster 049

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/22 4:03 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Cool.  The jumps were one thing, but when he hit the curb on the turn and just kept going like it was nothing was really impressive.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/22 4:03 p.m.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
12/6/22 4:30 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Cool.  The jumps were one thing, but when he hit the curb on the turn and just kept going like it was nothing was really impressive.

Reiger has a lot of really intense options, and I'd imagine the ones on that car have the works- special fancy valving, internal hydraulic bumpstops, a thing that lets the suspension drop to full droop quicker when unloaded, and I'm sure a whole bunch more that I don't know about or understand.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 5:21 p.m.

Every time I watch one of these I'm like how can I make a redneck version?  Turboed Cadillac 472 driving a NP203 AWD transfer case Ford 8.8 rear with a Dana 44 front axle.  Lowered Jeep CJ body on 23 inch tires.  Yeah that does it for me.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/22 5:28 p.m.

That was great.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/22 6:27 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

That was great.

Absolutely! Fiance watched it with me she dug it as well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 7:08 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
eastsideTim said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Reiger has a lot of really intense options, and I'd imagine the ones on that car have the works- special fancy valving, internal hydraulic bumpstops, a thing that lets the suspension drop to full droop quicker when unloaded, and I'm sure a whole bunch more that I don't know about or understand.

The top teams have people whose only job is to sort out the suspension after all smiley

I'd really like to know how the inertia sensitive damping, or whatever it is called that knows if the car is airborne or not, actually even works.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USS2CleINnQIm6skxXMGyPIXjQRz6OyT93uOBRd7c10qowgVi8kfBFDT1JtQTzKc