1 2
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
11/6/18 7:06 p.m.

Is there someplace I can go to see the truck size sales comparo and possibly region of the country most of a certain size were sold?

I have some friends from up north who swear that trucks in Texas as just bigger than those in New York.  They saw a Texas Edition parked near their cute little Honda CRX and they swear trucks like that just don't exist in NY.  BTW The Texas Edition is simply a trim package usually on a full sized PU and is used by at least 2 different manufacturers.

He finally googled trucks and found out that in theory there are 3 sizes - compact, midsized and full sized so they must only sell compact and midsized up north.

Now unless I am missing something, we haven't had a compact sized PU sold in the States in a little while and midsized truck sales have been less than spectacular.  I know when I looked this last time a midsized cost me about $1,000 more than a full sized (less competition), got the same or worse gas mileage, didn't have nearly as good an interior and didn't pull nearly as much so I got full sized even tho I went in to get a mid sized.

I think it's just the mere quantity of trucks down here rather than their actual size which has them confused.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 8:01 p.m.

Just smile and nod. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/18 8:46 p.m.

I've spent a lot of time in NY, both in the city and upstate. My observation and opinion: some of the New Yorkers seemed unable to get past their own preconceptions.

From the 20 year old in the Rochester area who asked me if we had television in Florida, to the counter guy in the deli in Yonkers who loudly called me out because I wanted both mustard and mayonnaise on a sandwich.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/18 8:56 p.m.

Can’t tell if trolling

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/6/18 8:57 p.m.

Most new midsize trucks are larger than my half ton ram and my dakotas selling point when it was new was that it was larger than the competition and it gets dwarfed by most cars now.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:05 p.m.

Your friends don't seem all that bright, lol. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:15 p.m.

Like I said, I think it's just the sheer number of trucks here over NY.  They just didn't notice them that much up there and here every time they turn around they run into one so now they realize how small their car is.

Surely there are some comparative sales numbers somewhere.  All I've been able to find are YTD breakdowns by month, not by model or size

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:30 p.m.

Here is all I've been able to find. - In 2016 there were 1,900,000 Full sized pickups sold in America and only 364,000 Midsized PUs and ZERO compact PUs, simply because they don't sell any compacts over here.

The distribution of full sized
to compact size is pretty even except that Colorado seems to have the most compact.

Bottom line is that NY PUs are the same size as the ones here, it's just that they didn't see as many and didn't have the comparison of size forced upon them.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/7/18 7:52 a.m.

Wait..... you actually thought that GM/Ford/Chrysler/Nissan/Toyota made a different size of full size for NY? I think I know where your friends get it. cheeky

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/18 7:59 a.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rate of modified and lifted trucks was greater in Texas than new york, especially somewhere like NYC.

A lifted truck (even subtly) will look and feel much bigger.

Is it a 2wd vs 4wd issue?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/18 8:06 a.m.

Could also be reg cab short bed vs 4 door long bed. Sake truck, same ckass, radically different perception. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 8:11 a.m.

I’ve heard that if i bought my ram 3500 in texas, it would be scaled up 15% in size compared to my ohio edition.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/18 8:18 a.m.
Patrick said:

I’ve heard that if i bought my ram 3500 in texas, it would be scaled up 15% in size compared to my ohio edition.  

Truck, no. Hootus, yes.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/7/18 8:27 a.m.

2WD vs 4WD. 

Almost all trucks in Texas are 4WD. 

The only trucks in NY that are 4WD are those intended for plow duty. 

4WD trucks are a few inches higher.

Also, 1500 trucks vs HD trucks.  Again, 1500 trucks are common in NY, TX has never heard of them.  HD trucks are completely different, even with a different frame.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/7/18 10:02 a.m.

IIn reply to SVreX :

2 vs 4wd. Maybe NYC is mostly 2wd. Upstate 2wd is reserved for poverty spec trucks. Mostly 15 year old S10’s. My local slice of upstate sees an above average population of small(er) trucks but there is no shortage of Half’s and HD’s. 

As far as the difference between 1500 and HD, only Ford has a distinct body. Otherwise they may ride higher due to a heavier chassis and have longer options like crew cab+long bed that you are less likely to find in a half. Although I think the GM options may have some bulges on the hood.  Once you get into commercial grade like 5500 things definitely get bigger. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 10:17 a.m.
Robbie said:
Patrick said:

Truck, no. Hootus, yes.

Backwards.  I don’t need to jack my work truck up on 22” rockstar wheels because my hootus is scaled up 15%(or more) from those who do.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/7/18 10:47 a.m.

Every thing is bigger in Texas.  

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
11/7/18 11:54 a.m.

I specifically shopped for a RI Colorado because the state is smaller, hence the truck would be too. Even going a little south the NY and PA would make the truck too big, not to think about TX! I wish I could shop for a small rust-free truck though, but they don't exist in the south.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
11/7/18 12:18 p.m.

Technically there are 3 different sizes you have the compact trucks ie Colorado/canyon ,tacoma,ranger etc then we have the half tons and then into the HD 3/4 and one ton trucks. It’s very likely there are a lot more 2500 and 3500 trucks then in New York.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/7/18 12:29 p.m.
SVreX said:

2WD vs 4WD. 

Almost all trucks in Texas are 4WD. 

The only trucks in NY that are 4WD are those intended for plow duty. 

4WD trucks are a few inches higher.

Also, 1500 trucks vs HD trucks.  Again, 1500 trucks are common in NY, TX has never heard of them.  HD trucks are completely different, even with a different frame.

4 WD trucks are higher, that much is true.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/7/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Brian and Toebra :

I’m not sure what your disagreement is. 

A truck on a bigger/ higher chassis seems bigger, even if the body is identical. Sounds like we are agreeing. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/7/18 6:51 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

But this is the internet, there is no agreeing allowed. cheeky

200mph
200mph New Reader
11/7/18 9:28 p.m.

There may be some anecdotal truth to their Texas vs NY observation.

In TX roads are generally wider, parking lot aisles wider, etc, so a sharp turning radius and short wheelbase is not so needed as in NY.

I see more HD trucks in TX than in NY, usually not hauling or towing anything.

I also see more crew cab w/longbed combinations in TX, and "maxi" cabs like the one Ram offers... not just on the road, but in dealer lots also.

"Texas Edition" trim package is available nationwide, just under different names. I think Chevy calls theirs "All-Star" outside of TX.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/8/18 12:26 p.m.

Dear SVreX, in light of the new Chevy HD, I hereby retract all comments equating 1/2 with HD. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/8/18 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Brian :

I disagree. 

I have to. It’s the internet. cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JocEeKgtx5LujJp2k2op5hdmYcXi3F95uAClF9vhmRq3CB0iCufvcAZo4rMaSj0O