1 2
Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/6/10 12:51 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I think the most pure car guy show it Musclecar. They don't promote nearly as many products as some of the others, and they show lots of tips on fabricating.

this, THough it was better with Lou Santiago (I think that was his name - Bald guy, is now on some HD Theater show where they pit 2 teams against each other in a competition to make stuff like Spy hunter Regals and hovercrafts - its watch worthy as its not trying to impose some shady overpriced product down your throat).

2 guys sucks. That said, I didnt see the E30 + LS3 episodes, the subject matter alone may make it worth watching on mute with The Ride of The Valkyries blaring in the background

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
12/6/10 12:53 p.m.

We looked into producing a show for Speed at my old place of employment (TV Production). We were used to buying a block of time and then selling the commercials to make money, but Speed and it's affiliates basically charged you for the air time and then took all the commercial revenue. The only way to make money was to sell the air time you owned. It's not how everyone does it, but I suppose it works for them. Of course it also limits the type of show you can do.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/6/10 1:02 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I'm not sure I understand how a production company can make money if air-time and ad revenue is consumed by Speed. Any more info to help out ol stoopid, here?

That said, it obvious that the shows on Speed (at least the one's that generate revenue) are aimed at common denominators identified by viewer stats - and "common" doesn't seem to apply to many GRMr's.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
12/6/10 1:08 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: We looked into producing a show for Speed at my old place of employment (TV Production). We were used to buying a block of time and then selling the commercials to make money, but Speed and it's affiliates basically charged you for the air time and then took all the commercial revenue. The only way to make money was to sell the air time you owned. It's not how everyone does it, but I suppose it works for them. Of course it also limits the type of show you can do.

Is HD Theater different? I see Cafe Racer as selling nothing.

I mean if GRM ever wanted to start a show- I'd suggest HD Theater first. Speed, well.... it does have some racing I like a lot. But the shows leave a lot to be desired for.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/6/10 1:12 p.m.
JFX001 wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Just a clarification. It's not an M3. They started with a 4 cyl standard E30.
It's an M3.

He said on the show yesterday that it wasn't. I'm thinking he might know better than you, but maybe not. But I think he's right on this one, because they had to flare the fenders to make it look like an M3. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have had to do that if it was already an M3 with flared fenders.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/6/10 1:21 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
JFX001 wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Just a clarification. It's not an M3. They started with a 4 cyl standard E30.
It's an M3.
He said on the show yesterday that it wasn't. I'm thinking he might know better than you, but maybe not. But I think he's right on this one, because they had to flare the fenders to make it look like an M3. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have had to do that if it was already an M3 with flared fenders.

Perhaps you heard incorrectly.Do a search...maybe try S14.net.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/6/10 1:30 p.m.

I didn't.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/6/10 1:33 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I didn't.

Seek and ye shall find.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/6/10 1:43 p.m.

The raised rear deck and flush window are M3 dead give-aways.

Or, an ill-advised and ultra expensive conversion.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/6/10 2:08 p.m.

I have watched some of the epsiodes and old whats his name has definitely represented it as an M3 on those.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
12/6/10 2:17 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I have watched some of the epsiodes and old whats his name has definitely represented it as an M3 on those.

Kevin Byrd?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/6/10 2:19 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I have watched some of the epsiodes and old whats his name has definitely represented it as an M3 on those.
Kevin Byrd?

yup.

BowtieBandit
BowtieBandit New Reader
12/6/10 3:09 p.m.

The spy car and hovercraft show you are mentioning is called Ultimate Car Build Off. I don't know if it was on HD Theatre first, but I caught them all on Discovery. A couple shows where cool (the first and last, actually) the rest were just dumb.

I do wanna build an Astroghini though.

BowtieBandit
BowtieBandit New Reader
12/6/10 3:10 p.m.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/6/10 5:26 p.m.
fastmiata wrote: Both shows used to be taped in Knoxville and the producers would periodically contact the local racers to help them with stories when they ran out of other ideas. I dont know where they tape the latest show but HGTV and Food are now done here. You could see the original garage from I-40/75 until they expanded the facilities. Yeah, I liked the idea of three hosts on Two Guys Garage.

I believe they are actually shooting in the Tampa area now.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/7/10 6:20 a.m.

I guess I did hear wrong, but can someone that saw the last show tell me what he was talking about when he said something about using a 4 cylinder E30? I KNOW he said something like that. Was he talking about being able to do it cheaper if you started with a lowly version? And why are the fenders and quarters cut and welded if they were M3 parts in the first place?

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/7/10 6:33 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I guess I did hear wrong, but can someone that saw the last show tell me what he was talking about when he said something about using a 4 cylinder E30? I KNOW he said something like that. Was he talking about being able to do it cheaper if you started with a lowly version? And why are the fenders and quarters cut and welded if they were M3 parts in the first place?

The E30 M3 is a 4 cylinder. He quoted "about 200hp" I believe.The car was rusted and tagged on one side from what I've read. He modified the stock flares to make room for wider rolling stock.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/7/10 7:38 a.m.

I know the M3 is a 4 cylinder. I guess when he said 4 cylinder E30 I figured he meant a non-M3 E30. Although on the show I saw the drivers side flares modified and in the picture above it's the pass side, so it looks like he did it on both sides, which further mislead me to think he modded a standard E30 to look like an M3. Oh well, sorry I disagreed with you so strongly.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
12/18/10 7:46 a.m.

Watched this episode today - thanks Tivo. I don't regularly watch this show, but tuned in just to see the LS M3. The car looks great IMHO, wonder where the S14 went? I think Kevin was really excited about the project and it came through in the way he talked about it. I liked that as much as I liked the actual project. More shows should focus on real projects that the host is doing.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
12/18/10 8:06 a.m.

Not a bad technical show and the hosts are technically competent. I like almost any auto show I can watch on any channel.

stso9daa
stso9daa
12/28/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Pumpkin Escobar :

yes, most of the shows on Motor Trend are nothing but ads now.  no real value.... 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/19 1:27 p.m.

I used to watch 2GG religiously.  All those shows where they showed you how to do stuff.

Then, about 2002 I think, this guy went to the zoo and filmed himself.  He put it online and made space for you to upload stuff too.  He called his site YouTube.

Berk TV

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/28/19 1:40 p.m.

The current over/under on how many times they say "man" per episode is 34.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/28/19 2:23 p.m.

"Hey buddy, you do realize this thread is 9 years old right?"

"Thanks Pal!"

(My version of how Sam&Dave would've said it.)

pirate
pirate HalfDork
12/28/19 4:53 p.m.

Miss Sam and Dave! Can't watch current version to contrived. They hawk the same products week after week. Added  Two Guy Garage to Fast & Load, Graveyard Carz, West Coast Customs and a couple others as not worth my time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Am6QJ5KahVoQV3JX39qtKhfQcAnF9eaPswBKZFDEww1ftkxRxVRTOsXXp2Sx7OQp