Scott Lear
Scott Lear
1/3/17 4:28 p.m.

History casts a special light on those who innovate and create strange forks in the road along the way. Frequently these ideas become dead ends– some because they didn’t work, and some because they worked so well that they became illegal–but occasionally an unconventional approach grants a competitive advantage too awesome to ignore.

At the club level, there are many …

Read the rest of the story

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/3/17 4:46 p.m.

I don't recognize Scott's name as a GRM writer, but given that normal folks don't start with "History casts a...", I bet he is.

[Edit] I spoke too soon. The article above refers to a "fat-opposed engine" and a "fat six". Scott, you're okay, you're one of us!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/3/17 5:32 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I don't recognize Scott's name as a GRM writer, but given that normal folks don't start with "History casts a...", I bet he is. [Edit] I spoke too soon. The article above refers to a "fat-opposed engine" and a "fat six". Scott, you're okay, you're one of us!

Scott was in-house office staff for a decade until an adorable daughter stole him away a few years ago. He still supplies words from time to time, though. Love seeing his name in the book.

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/3/17 7:15 p.m.

Ah kids, stealing us away from fun cars when they're born, then terrifying us with them when they are teens.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/17 9:12 a.m.

I have to say that this inspires yet another hair-brained scheme to add to my list: Find a motor that I like that has a separate block and cylinders and redo it as a two-stroke. It'd be loud, obnoxious, and probably take five years out of my life to pull off, but what the hell!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/4/17 9:16 a.m.

I hadn't realized that it was the same company behind Kohler engines and Kohler faucets.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/4/17 12:43 p.m.

Love those exhaust pipes sticking out the back.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
1/4/17 1:18 p.m.

I'd love more information about that engine! Please

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/4/17 2:12 p.m.

I was at a hill-climb event and someone had a 2-stroke formula car type thing with four pipes sticking straight up. Hearing that thing revving up under the freeway underpass that was the starting line (really!) was pretty incredible.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
1/4/17 2:37 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'd love more information about that engine! Please

I can't remember which issue it was but GRM went into more detail in the print version.

racer_tom
racer_tom New Reader
1/4/17 7:36 p.m.

"From the Oct. 2016 issue"

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
1/4/17 7:39 p.m.

Got to make some serious noise.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
1/5/17 12:30 a.m.

I love the smell of bean oil in the morning; as someone with a two stroke powered single seater (Formula 500) and former motorcycle racer I absolutely love two strokes. They are lighter, more powerful and do not grenade in spectacular fashion like 4 strokes. Now this car is a special case but two strokes also tend to be cheaper to maintain as well.

An example is the F500; 100 horsepower from a 500 twin in stock trim. Light mods like twin pipes and some other small mods would bump it up another 20hp. I was bummed when the Japanese manufacturers bailed in two strokes for most of their products. Race bikes where at the 400hp per liter level (factory bikes).

The old CSR DSR now P1 P2 class cars offer phenomenal performance; with our old DSR we set local track lap record that was within a couple of seconds of Mike Lewis' ex Roush Trans Am car. I've drove an early Stohr chassis a number of years ago and that was a huge leap in downforce compared to our home built car. With a 200 plus horsepower two stroke I imagine the chassis would be an absolute weapon.

ucantcme
ucantcme
4/27/17 1:56 a.m.

Man I love this thing! Since being "on the pipe" is so critical, what about a dual-clutch 8 speed transmission instead? Makes me miss my '72 Kawi 750 Triple...

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 8:17 a.m.
maj75
maj75 Reader
4/27/17 8:20 a.m.
ucantcme wrote: Man I love this thing! Since being "on the pipe" is so critical, what about a dual-clutch 8 speed transmission instead? Makes me miss my '72 Kawi 750 Triple...

I had a '74, Candy Purple. Loved that bike! Given the prices for these bikes now, I wish I still had it. I still shop for one, but I can't really justify spending that much on a decoration, because I'd never ride it around here.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 8:23 a.m.
759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 8:27 a.m.

My very first street bike was/is a Yamaha RD400C with custom chambers....love it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yjnJkLjzrd6p8rCHXjjM4CvFBEA84jxBy3t4Si3yZ4WPcMkEB4ATWgwZFtcTgkzS