1 2 3 4
jkinton
jkinton GRM+ Member
10/10/22 5:24 p.m.

At the end of the blurb on the Bridgestone RE-71RS, it says, "That first test compared the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS against the Falken Azenis RT660 on track and against the Yokohama Advan A052 around the cones."  The linked article only discusses the RT660 track test.  Is there another article that has the results of the RE-71RS vs. the A052 "around the cones"?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/11/22 9:10 a.m.

In reply to jkinton :

Here's a more direct comparison of the RT660 and the A052 (as well as the CR-1):

200-treadwear tire test | Falken RT660 vs. Yokohama A052 vs. Nankang CR-1

I hope this helps!

ShiftLess
ShiftLess New Reader
12/9/22 2:42 p.m.

where is the data?

skid pad G data?  or skid pad 'circle' test data?  

and if you can do it with an equivalent setup to mine even better :)

thx GRM!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/13/23 4:13 p.m.
ShiftLess said:

where is the data?

skid pad G data?  or skid pad 'circle' test data?  

and if you can do it with an equivalent setup to mine even better :)

thx GRM!

We lost our access to the Mineral Wells airport so no more skid pad data...for now.  

nholmes
nholmes None
4/11/23 12:59 p.m.

Any plans to test the new Nexen Sport R tire? This is also a super 200 that's gaining popularity with grassroots spec series and HPDE on the west coast.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/11/23 8:42 p.m.
nholmes said:

Any plans to test the new Nexen Sport R tire? This is also a super 200 that's gaining popularity with grassroots spec series and HPDE on the west coast.

We tried...they did not want to participate.

But we have enough anecdotal use info from competitors and also test info from Tire Rack to be confident in how they are rated in the chart. 

nholmes
nholmes New Reader
4/13/23 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Can you share how they are rated in the chart? I don't believe I see them. 

I also want to add a big thank you for taking the time to put this chart together! It's immensely helpful, especially the laptimes!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/23 1:50 p.m.

I bought a set of the Bridgestone RE71rs tires for my E Street Miata last fall. It was my intention to run them until the hot weather hit here in Florida, then switch back to the Rivals. 

I used the Rivals last week for fun runs with the Citrus chapter of the PCA. The Rivals have no more than 40 runs and 1000 miles, a 2022 build date and have been stored in heavy plastic bags on a rack, so they are in good condition. Nonetheless, I really had to dial back my driving. 

The Bridgestones are going to be it for the rest of the year, there's no going back. The downside is that I'm going to have to spray them between runs. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/13/23 8:52 p.m.
nholmes said:

Can you share how they are rated in the chart? I don't believe I see them. 

I also want to add a big thank you for taking the time to put this chart together! It's immensely helpful, especially the laptimes!

Well damn...I thought they were there.  Sheesh. 

Hey David!  We need to add an entry!

PS: You're welcome on the compendium.  To be frank, I did it out of self-defense, as I got tired of answering the same questions over and over on forums.  Now I just link this.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/23 1:50 p.m.

Great Work

Thanks

nholmes
nholmes New Reader
5/3/23 12:30 p.m.

When will you be adding the Nexen Sport R to the chart? Thank you! I really just need the data for my personal notes. yes

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
5/4/23 8:09 a.m.

Also what about these Xcomp 200tw?

Apparently a 30day trial if you don't like them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 9:13 a.m.
ztnedman1 said:

Also what about these Xcomp 200tw?

Apparently a 30day trial if you don't like them.

Xcomp H/P? Only available for 19-21" wheels it seems:

https://shopxcomp.com/products/x-comp-h-p

Seems like the brand popped up out of nowhere within the last few months. First reviews look favorable:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1347188-new-tire-brand-xcomp.html

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/23 3:43 p.m.

Sounds like someone’s about to test more tires. (I’ve said too much.)

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/23 9:05 a.m.

Ancedotal data point, I dropped a second in similar conditions going from RT660's to RE71RS's. Looking at the data, it seems like a lot of it was in the braking zones. No other platform changes from day to day. Also a HUGE fan of how much better the RE71RS's feel. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/23 9:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Sounds like someone’s about to test more tires. (I’ve said too much.)

Maybe... or maybe you just got another 100 subscribers. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/23 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

And looks like a second and maybe even a third test has been added to the upcoming schedule. :) 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/23 4:52 p.m.

This ia great reading and very helpful

Thanks

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/26/23 11:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

And looks like a second and maybe even a third test has been added to the upcoming schedule. :) 

Happy to be finally filling in some gaps in the chart, and maybe doing a little internet myth-busting at the same time.  Plus some new stuff...and yet another "size matters" piece.

Gonna be a long summer...

Any plans on releasing data on the Cooper Tire RS3R /RS3RS ?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/27/23 3:23 p.m.
Drifting_Away86 said:

Any plans on releasing data on the Cooper Tire RS3R /RS3RS ?

Last time we tried to get tires from Cooper, they told us they were updating that model so we should wait.  And then they got bought by Goodyear, so who knows what's going to happen?

Our understanding is that those tires were some kind of hobby shop/skunkworks development from Cooper's UK operation. 

Petercho2813
Petercho2813 New Reader
1/16/24 4:24 p.m.

Is the tire wear rating unified across all categories?

Ie, the nexen nfera sport r is rated A, as is the ad09 and the extreme contact sport. 

Are they all similar in wear? Or is the nexen rated A compared to other super 200's, so worse than the ad09 with the same rating?

Does the ad09 really wear as well as a street tire like the extreme contact sport?

Going off the chart, it seems like theres almost no downside to the nexen over the ad09 besides heat tolerance. It's better and cheaper at everything. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/16/24 9:40 p.m.
Petercho2813 said:

Is the tire wear rating unified across all categories?

Ie, the nexen nfera sport r is rated A, as is the ad09 and the extreme contact sport. 

Are they all similar in wear? Or is the nexen rated A compared to other super 200's, so worse than the ad09 with the same rating?

Does the ad09 really wear as well as a street tire like the extreme contact sport?

Going off the chart, it seems like theres almost no downside to the nexen over the ad09 besides heat tolerance. It's better and cheaper at everything. 

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

But also, the street manners of the AD09 are superior to the Nexen. 

That said, long term wear is the most variable judgement.  YMMV really applies.

karstgeo72
karstgeo72 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/21/24 3:11 p.m.

Let's see some budgo-tires get added...a bobo/cheapo tire shootout!  Accelera 651 Sport would be on I'd like to see you guys drive.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sOvZIt5SwsYPPdydT8ExoBp1LY8FHRFoAG6oXR1FbyOHz2Nt4oJuvzYu2Oadcz2Z