kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
6/24/09 10:05 p.m.

Any suggestions on what I might use that doesn't get soft or gooey when exposed to underhood heat? I like the plyability of the 3M 33+ for application purposes but it ends up distortoring after time under the hood. What do OEM's use?

RobL
RobL Reader
6/24/09 10:08 p.m.

I use shrink wrap. Stuff like this: http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/nte-heat-shrink2-kits.html

I cut it to fit, slip this over a wire, solder, move the shrink wrap over the connection, and then use a heat gun.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
6/24/09 10:25 p.m.

I solder and shrink wrap connections. However, I need to tape up an entirely new loom.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/24/09 10:27 p.m.

I've never had a problem with good ol' electrical tape. I think it's what Mazda used under the hood of the Miata too.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
6/25/09 3:37 a.m.

I've redone harness wrapping on a couple of cars with 3M 33+ electrical tap. I finish it off with split convoluted tubing over the harness. It acts as another layer against direct engine heat and to keep the tape from unraveling over time.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/25/09 4:39 a.m.

That electrical tape Harbor Freight sells is darn good. Never had a problem with it underhood.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/25/09 6:01 a.m.

When I wired the old Dodge truck I bought shrink tape. It's electrical tape that shrinks when hit with heat.

How about a mile of that coloured sippy straw stuff from JC Whitney?

Dan

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/25/09 6:50 a.m.

33+ works ok in a pinch but the rubberized 'self adhering' stuff works much better underhood.

RossD
RossD Reader
6/25/09 7:26 a.m.

I've never heard of shrink tape before, so I started looking and found something a little different: Self-fusing Silicone Tape with no need to heat.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/25/09 7:28 a.m.

OEMs usually use 'dry tape' (vinyl with no adhesive). You can get that from Eastwood, places like that. I have used electrical tape in the past but as noted heat makes it slippery and gooey.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
6/25/09 7:51 a.m.

Try splicing tape, 3m is one manufacturer, but there may be others, you can get it at grainger and probably McMaster-Car. I have used to make wire harnesses in moderatly high heat applications, I also once used it to repair a split intercooler hose on my work truck, it is stong stuff.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/25/09 8:03 a.m.

Big ass heat shrink tube?

RobL
RobL Reader
6/25/09 8:29 a.m.

Zip ties?

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
6/25/09 9:06 a.m.

I like to use friction tape. It is cloth tape and sticks to itself very well. If I use electric tape I usually wrap it (cover)with the friction tape so it will keep everything tight.

It was also used on many oem harness I have cut up. It has a dielectric quality, although much lower than pvc electric tape.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/25/09 9:20 a.m.
RobL wrote: Zip ties?

1 zip tie every half inch. It'll look SWEET!

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/25/09 7:39 p.m.
RossD wrote: I've never heard of shrink tape before, so I started looking and found something a little different: Self-fusing Silicone Tape with no need to heat.

I have a few rolls (red, black and white) of this kind of stuff. It's the cat's danglies, for wrapping stuff. Even works underwater - just mounted the float switch on a new sump pump.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/09 8:11 p.m.

The stock Miata harness is held together with about 10 miles (actually, it's a metric car, so they would have used 16 km) of gooey, sticky electrical tape. It's a real pleasure to remove, lemme tell ya.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
6/26/09 6:03 a.m.

Tie wraps look good untill you need to work under the hood and get poked and cut by all those dam knubs left. start with regular tape a few rounds then tape over the non sticky tape and use that using only sticky tape near bends and ends.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
6/26/09 10:19 a.m.

Try out some self-fusing silicone tape. I get mine from Waytek Wire. It's heat resistant to almost 500*F. Bonds to itself with no sticky adhesives.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
6/26/09 11:19 p.m.

Thanks, guys!

Sparetire
Sparetire New Reader
6/27/09 6:33 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
RobL wrote: Zip ties?
1 zip tie every half inch. It'll look SWEET!

I have done plain old electrical tape and then secured the ends with tie-wraps a few times and it always held up fine, even I got lazy and did not go back and do it right. The ends never come loose and the rest of the tape stays good.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
6/29/09 8:10 a.m.
RossD wrote: I've never heard of shrink tape before, so I started looking and found something a little different: Self-fusing Silicone Tape with no need to heat.

I love that stuff. It is also moderately resistant to abrasion and pinching, which is always a plus when you're in an area with moving parts. (Hopefully your engine bay fits that description.)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/09 2:23 p.m.

go to junkyard and grab about a thousand feet of the crinkly split-loom stuff. will cost you about a penny a foot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4lJF7nvTE7uYGKOJJQi1wj4WwEeOq1L92ZM81lztjQdcjwSWoVRkL2oFFNRhWx08