racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/21/22 10:46 p.m.

Illinois plates, and a large sticker on the back of the trailer from an Alaska rally.  Thing must have over  a million miles, just hanging out in SW Fla!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/21/22 11:21 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 6:43 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Holy E36 M3 - I used to autocross with Barney! Nocones probably remembers him too. He'd drive that car over 100-miles each way to our autocrosses, in all kinds of weather, often having to stop along the road for repairs, and dragging his son with him most of the time - whom sadly showed zero interest in any of it. 

I always wondered what happened to him & his car. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/22/22 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yes!  This was the first car I Autoxed with any regularity.  When I first started at age ~16 Barney let me drive this car on Rcomp tires.  It was great fun.  I probably codrive with him for nearly a whole season worth of events.   He never wanted anything in return and clearly just enjoyed sharing the car with an impressionable kid.  

Good to hear he and the car are still going strong.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/22 10:25 a.m.

What, no GRM sticker?  In the way back machine, I had a 1960 MGA, with a later B engine.  Loved that car, but no money for a needy vehicle, so off it went.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/22/22 11:44 a.m.

Barney maintains the most useful website around on all matters MGA and has probably put more miles on his than any other owner.

I have owned maybe a dozen of them (and still own 3 - a fairly stock Mk 2 coupe, my old Twin Cam race car and a Jamaican bodied MGA with GM V6 driveline, so I guess you could call me an MGA nut too.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 2:51 p.m.

The website plays music. In internet time, that sort of feature is more vintage than the car it's covering. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 4:28 p.m.

Wow, I don't even know this guy and I already like him.

wake74
wake74 Reader
1/22/22 4:44 p.m.

There is a name I hadn't heard in a while. If I recall he was a regular on the old team.net mail server.  That list was very valuable when I did my MGB V8 conversion in the late 90s.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 10:34 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I remember riding along with him once & I think he'd pull the choke out before he left the start line?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/23/22 8:53 a.m.

If you read the blog, the last thing he says on his Friday post is that he's off to find some WiFi.........McD's usually has free WiFi.

This guy seems to be living the life of Tod & Buz on "Route 66"...........good for him.........I have an odd sense of misplaced envy.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/23/22 7:59 p.m.

Barney and his son stopped in on one of our British car club meetings.  He had some interesting stories.  

And I thought the unexpected surprise was you got a good meal.  

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/24/22 12:42 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I know better than that.  For some reason, the high school kids I coach love that E36 M3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RKyQOxSN2HSO4H1BnjEkxDzqu5SDP2ZnpvC2Y3VtC2zLjCiAaXBeocnmfWA0NIKx