1 2 3 4
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 8:19 a.m.

inspired by this thread , and without searching this topic, i'm starting this thread for cars that you'd rock despite their terrible-ness.  I'll go first:

C3 Corvette.  I've always had a chub for the chrome-bumper cars, and many years ago when i was young and impressionable, i had a chance to drive one.  It was no better, and arguably worse in some ways, than my DD 1972 Monte Carlo.  and you know what?  i didn't care then and i don't care now.  i want one and i will get one and i will drive the berkeley out of it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 8:23 a.m.

Late 90s Corolla. I had one and it was just a happy car to drive.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 8:43 a.m.

Ford Pinto. I had one for several years and loved that little car. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
11/29/22 8:48 a.m.

Just about anything Japanese from before 1990.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/22 8:48 a.m.

I will plus 1 on the Pinto and two others that I loved:

first Gen Chevy Lumina

Dodge K Car (it has to be 4 door though!)

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/29/22 9:02 a.m.

First gen Dodge Neon with a manual.  Doesn't even need to be an R/T or an ACR (although I wouldn't turn that down).

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/29/22 9:07 a.m.

My 08 civic coupe. Non-SI, only 140 horsepower, 2800 lbs. A friend of mine sold me his rear progress swaybar, and koni sport shocks. It's been surprisingly good for autocross, and has run a 1.31 lap at the firm on used three year old tires.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/29/22 9:10 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Ford Pinto. I had one for several years and loved that little car. 

My buddy was way into Pintos and ordered a brand new one - he took a lot of beatings from the muscle car guys but after he added springs, shocks, header, exhaust and European air horns it was a fun car.

This guy got me hooked on little sporty cars.  He also introduced me to some big newspaper called Autoweek.  First time I read one I was blown away. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/29/22 9:19 a.m.

Oh for sure any of my old Colt/Summit/Mirage trio. Add in a few evo bits here and there and they were a very fun car to drive and autocross. Light weight even with the "big block" 2.4L swapped in. If I ever found another one, I would make an autocross FSP car out of it in a heartbeat but most have turned to dust. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/29/22 9:20 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Just about anything Japanese from before 1990.

I second this motion.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/29/22 9:22 a.m.

MK4 VW Jetta TDI wagon with a manual. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 9:26 a.m.

Honda Element manual. 1st gen xB, also manual. 2nd gen Prius, Lexus LS. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/29/22 9:26 a.m.

The early Saturn Cars with the DOHC engine.  SL2, SW2 & SC2.

Make mine a 5 speed manual please.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/29/22 9:30 a.m.

Smart Fortwo

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/22 9:31 a.m.

1987 Buick LeSabre.  Bland, but boy it would go and go.  Pretty comfortable, and would drive through anything, with decent MPG.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/29/22 9:47 a.m.

Honda Element (already have)

Kei van, Fiat Multipla, Citroen 2CV, Subie XT6 or Brat, 80s Popup headlight Accord, Series I, II or III Land Rovers.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 9:49 a.m.

G-body.  Preferably the Cutlass or Regal variety, but I'd take a Monte or Malibu.

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass | Orlando Classic Cars

NY Nick
11/29/22 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Hold the phone there sir! This was supposed to be uninspiring cars that you would rock. Not some of the finest pieces that Detroit made in the 80's.

I will bid you good day.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
11/29/22 9:54 a.m.

Another vote for old J-Tin. I still recall a friend of mine who let me borrow her late '70s Subie GL for a few days so I could get to work (she lived within walking distance of campus and the bar where she worked). I loved that little car more than I thought I would. Felt like it handled well, just because it didn't weigh anything, compared to my broken BMWs.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 10:03 a.m.
NY Nick said:

Hold the phone there sir! This was supposed to be uninspiring cars that you would rock. Not some of the finest pieces that Detroit made in the 80's.

I will bid you good day.

Certainly inspiring to me as well.  Inspiring to drive?  Not so much.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/29/22 10:07 a.m.

I've had a lot, they're almost always better than people think. 1992 LS400 was great - quick enough, solid, handled well with the fully independent suspension. It was a well nailed together sports car compared to the Buick Roadmaster it replaced:

1992 Lexus LS 400 for Sale - Cars & Bids

It was replaced by a 1996 LS400 - more power, bigger, and - get this - lighter!?

LEXUS LS 1996-lexus-ls400 Used - the parking

Also one that sort of came up in this thread already, the 90s Corolla - except mine was even more uninspiring, it was a 1990 Geo Prizm! Nobody expects Toyota quality from a GM but it was so reliable:

File:1990 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr front left.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Speaking of the Roadmaster, though: sure, it was solidly in the running for ugliest car ever. And a 90s GM is not a well put together car and it had acres of "leather" and plastichrome inside it, but I loved that car thoroughly. I would never have sold it but a friend of mine came courting when I had five cars and I decided he could have a turn.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon | W96 | Kissimmee 2013

Good car? no. Great car? yes.

NY Nick
11/29/22 10:08 a.m.

I thought it was inspiring when I was 18 rocking this ride but my CRV probably is a lot more "inspiring" to drive. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/22 10:22 a.m.

80's 4 door box Caprice. I loved the over boosted, single finger steering. Maybe its becauseit was the first car I  drove, and I  was dumb, and fearless, but that car was composed (for what it was) and inspired confidence.

1984 Toyota pickup, short bed, 22R engine, 4 speed, 2WD.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/29/22 10:23 a.m.

G-Bodies can be reasonably entertaining to drive.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s8DuV2cWJLlhCgjKdxZaYx26K2QW4hxqHDnXuaZ3nJTWMZibFDE7TktBobpfe3rY