1 2 3 ... 16
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/23/19 2:51 p.m.

Surprised we don't already have a thread like this. So, post up unusual cars you see during commuting hours, "doing a commute" (not driving to cars and coffee on a sunday morning lol).

Here's one from today, on the Washington DC Beltway afternoon early rush hour...GTV6. It definitely looked like a daily driver, with the paint on the roof not looking so great. Though, it has VA antique plates (not legal for everyday daily-driving), so likely not a "regular" commuter. Maybe his Civic was broken down so he had to take the Alfa to work (haha.....ironic?)

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 2:54 p.m.

Two interesting cars have shown up recently on my morning commute. Coincidentally, one is also a GTV6. The other is a really nice late (big bumper) 914. Both are silver and I've never seen the two of them on the same day. I'm starting to think that the same guy might own both of them.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/23/19 3:04 p.m.
Woody said:

Two interesting cars have shown up recently on my morning commute. Coincidentally, one is also a GTV6. The other is a really nice late (big bumper) 914. Both are silver and I've never seen the two of them on the same day. I'm starting to think that the same guy might own both of them.

There is an early-70s 911 that commutes around here, and I mean it's a real commuter. I see it a few times a week in the middle of rush hour, in all weather. And it looks like it....dull paint, a few little rust spots, dirty wheels. But the guy is always trucking at 80mph so mechanically must be pretty solid. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/23/19 3:08 p.m.
irish44j said:

Surprised we don't already have a thread like this. So, post up unusual cars you see during commuting hours, "doing a commute" (not driving to cars and coffee on a sunday morning lol).

FYI, we kinda do:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-unicorn-sighting-thread/96587/page65/

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/19 3:09 p.m.

I was in my slightly lowered Miata and found myself next to a Lotus Elise. 

The top of the driver's head was at about my shoulder  height.    I'm 5'-8".  

Unusual in that I am used to looking up to the top of truck's tires, not looking down at other drivers.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/23/19 3:16 p.m.
nderwater said:
irish44j said:

FYI, we kinda do:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-unicorn-sighting-thread/96587/page65/

true, but a bit broader-reaching. Here in NoVa/DC, i could post something in that thread every Sunday....so many well-to-do people here who bust out their rare/expensive/unusual stuff to cruise to cars and coffee or whatever or cruising the parkway or backroads. Those hardly phase me on weekends any more. But seeing something like a GTV6 in beltway traffic seems truly unusual, especially the way people drive around here (like shiny happy people). I've thought many times about driving my Porsche to work, but always say "neh, I don't want ti wrecked". 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 3:20 p.m.

Good idea for a topic. Working right in front of Daytona International Speedway, I would expect to see some cool stuff but I really don't.

I see an rx8 frequently. Also, an older Wrangler that actually looks like it's been off pavement. That's a novelty.

Then there's the black late model camaro ss with a big wing. Notable since the driver seems to think he's filming a fast and furious movie. Last time I saw him he was on the shoulder with a trooper handing over a big stack of papers.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
5/23/19 3:46 p.m.

I am rarely in a car I miss a lot of opportunities to get pictures of what I see on a daily basis. Here are a few I did catch when in a work vehicle. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 5:08 p.m.
MulletTruck said:

Holy Crap!! Is that a Zimmer Quicksilver?!

freetors
freetors Reader
5/23/19 5:10 p.m.

I saw a Hyundai Verna Sporty a few weeks ago. Looked it up and it's an Indian market car. In Oklahoma.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
5/23/19 5:16 p.m.

I've seen a whole bunch of crazy stuff over the years. No photos, because commuting and taking pictures doesn't work here - way too many chances for a wreck with me in it.

Off the top of my head, I've seen a Citroen DS21, a fintail Mercedes, a couple Alfa Spiders, a McLaren, one or two Ferraris, a Lambo, and more aircooled 911s than I can count. I'm sure I've missed some.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/23/19 5:20 p.m.

I drive a lot for work so I see a lot of cars on my “commute”, I don’t take pictures usually though.

monday: saw a euro 535, rhd, plates, really a beater somewhere between clarion, pa and I99 on I80. Older fellow just tooling along at the speed limit.

Tuesday: a cayman with gum balls and sponsor stickers on I81 in Harrisburg.

wednesday: a convertible biturbo (autocorrect tried to make that vitreous) in Warren Ohio . Funny cause my old convertible is sitting over there as well, I saw it also.

today: a nice new 911 with plates lv1n l1f followed by a trackhawk.

if this thread makes it I’ll start taking pictures

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/23/19 5:35 p.m.

I saw, this morning, what I presume to be a new Wrangler pickup.  Two door, bright orange. 

Edit:  Or not.  Gladiator is the name i was thinking of, but it looks like they are four door.  Maybe a Wrangler 2 door with a weird roof and plastic box liner?  Maybe a Chinese clone?

Edit again: This.  Even this colour.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 6:58 p.m.

Spotted a very nice condition 1st gen RX7 around Tysons Corner yesterday. Clearly not a commuter with VA Antique plates . Was a very nice day to take it out, I have to say.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
5/23/19 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

There have been a few truck conversion kits for Wranglers over time (like the AEV Brute).  Probably one of those. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/23/19 7:05 p.m.

I am in Miami and saw a Lambo and a Maserati SUVs.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/23/19 7:35 p.m.

Im terrible at taking pics while driving but i enjoy seeing weird stuff on the road so much that it's a goal of mine to BE the weird stuff on the road. I'd say i'm succeeding about half the time on average. I end up driving something normal/boring pretty often because i've been buying normal cars here and there to fix up and sell and i usually put a thousand or more miles on each before it goes. 

Today i worked on fixing up my 2017 Challenge car, a 1984 dodge rampage. There are a few out there ( a very small few) but not many slammed all the way down on 225/45/15s. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/23/19 7:40 p.m.

I see a Buick Reatta occasionally.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/23/19 7:52 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck :

Is that Matt Farrah in his Porsche in front of you?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/19 7:54 p.m.

I've actually seen quite a bit of cool stuff on my country commute at various points over the years. Some highlights off the top of my head:

-Corvair Greenbriar that a lady used to drive her young kids to school in

-White MGB that appears to a summer daily

-Some diesel Peugeot I used to see year round

-RHD R32 Skyline I see several times a week leaving work

-ATS-V I pass going the opposite way every day, except the rare occassion I pass a CTS-V instead. Obviously the same person and they appear to have almost the exact reverse of my commute.

-Used to see a Reatta too for a while

-Lately I've been passing a young guy in a semi-ratty FB RX7. I'm hoping I see him tomorrow driving my FC.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 8:28 p.m.

in the fall i see a red c3 vette everyday on my commute home going the oposite way I do.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/23/19 9:10 p.m.

I regularly see someone commuting in a V10 Audi R8.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/19 9:24 p.m.

I worked for a company where a guy commute three seasons out of the year in a Ferrari 308. I cringed as he went slowly over each speed bump, but timed my commute so I could hear that fantastic sound!

Another co-worker had a couple years where he worked crazy hours as a consultant and bought himself a Porsche 911 4S with a 6spd. He had something like 150k on it when I worked with him, and I'm sure it has many more miles now.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/23/19 9:51 p.m.

From time to time I see someone daily driving their AMC matador. Probably doesn't get much more obscure than that

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/19 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

That’s definitely his car

Adam

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPjPWpxXtVJqUN7qvoAByyvNR1v4BarViQlYWm8jKvxyH2VpAQoHyRiM6SuqsVX7