1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/17/18 7:14 a.m.
doc_speeder said:

Hmmm.

The mostly positive results of this discussion are not what I expected.  I really want to like the Ecoboost but when I was shopping for a truck a couple years ago I kept coming upon many stories of overheating under load and seemingly unresolvable timing chain stretch/wear issues and I kinda got scared off them.

Were these all just internet exaggeration?  I'm totally happy with my Duramax but when I'm in the market next time there's a good chance I won't need a heavy duty pickup and an Ecoboost with a good tune on it would be awesome.

Given the technology for the v8 and the v6 in exactly the same for the timing chain, that's not something I would be worried about.  Besides, who in the world has been able to drive them so much that the chain stretch is a real issue?  That's not something that would come up under normal use and ownership.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/17/18 7:36 a.m.

I test drove 2 - 2015 5.0L  trucks and 2 - 2013 3.5L EBs under exactly identical conditions and route on the same day. All were optioned similarly and were 4x4. I zeroed the fuel mileage average before starting on each. I drove about 10 miles in town. All of them returned average mileage between 15.3 and 15.6 MPG.  Admittedly, not a long term all-inclusive test, but still a direct comparison. The part that didn't compare was the power. The EB's low-mid level torque is SO MUCH BETTER than the 5L it was no contest. I drove other variations on different days without testing mileage but the driving impression was always the same. 

Yes, the EBs are more complex and could have some higher repair costs at high miles, but I should have the truck paid off before it clocks 120k, so I'm not much concerned. The way it accelerates is addictive. It reminds me of the 7.3L Powerstroke I had. No drama, no big noise, it just goes from loafing along to the star-trail light speed launch in Star Wars. 

Besides, I've seen the things the people on this forum build. The idea that any of us would be afraid to work on a stock turbo engine when the time comes strikes me as a little funny.

200mph
200mph New Reader
12/17/18 11:23 a.m.

Should be fine, agree with most comments above.

But, I don't feel your daily commute is long enough to properly get everything up to temperature. 

And, in the mornings, you're probably in a real hurry.  I would accelerate oil change intervals to every 4000 miles.  That should do it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/17/18 11:36 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Your 7.3 was modded and tuned? My 7.3 excursion is rather slow compared to my 6.0 f250. Lol

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/18 11:53 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

I test drove 2 - 2015 5.0L  trucks and 2 - 2013 3.5L EBs under exactly identical conditions and route on the same day. All were optioned similarly and were 4x4. I zeroed the fuel mileage average before starting on each. I drove about 10 miles in town. All of them returned average mileage between 15.3 and 15.6 MPG.  Admittedly, not a long term all-inclusive test, but still a direct comparison. The part that didn't compare was the power. The EB's low-mid level torque is SO MUCH BETTER than the 5L it was no contest. I drove other variations on different days without testing mileage but the driving impression was always the same. 

Keep in mind that the 2015 is the aluminum redesign, it's significantly lighter than the 2013. So the 3.5s were working a bit harder. Having said that, I agree with your conclusions. 

I refer to these engines as "Eco/Boost". You can either have eco, or you can have boost. You can't have both at the same time. laugh

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
12/17/18 12:15 p.m.

The field foreman at my last company put over 200k miles on his EB F-150 with absolutely zero problems. And like others have said, the acceleration and torque is just amazing.

The only thing that would worry me is if this is going to be an actual working truck that tows and carries everyday. Not because of the engine itself but the extra heat the turbos make under the hood. I'd be afraid of what that would do to the plastic bits under the hood in the long run.

But for your average commuter pick-up, I wouldn't worry.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/17/18 12:49 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Your 7.3 was modded and tuned? My 7.3 excursion is rather slow compared to my 6.0 f250. Lol

LOL, no. It was stock. It always felt like you hit warp, but it wasn't really fast. If the 7.3 was warp speed, the EcoBoost just went plaid.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/18 5:06 p.m.

Maybe it had a “stealth tune” like that guy with the 7.3 Excursion who said it ran so well :-)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hlxkesYmXTG7Otm3XOkzShM3npPNtvT6JXJlzI47LGGDuIg3Xm3mUHKVrymAOhj4