1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/25/20 11:45 a.m.

I'd be leaning toward the Audi.  I think the A5 coupe is one of the prettiest cars to come along in the last 2 decades, and their interiors are very nicely put together.

That said, I'm not sure I like an Audi as a used car.  My experience is with a new Audi, and a warranty and known service history can make life more pleasant.

From a reliability standpoint, I'd favor the Lexus, but other than that, I'd have no affinity for the car.

The CTS is a decent drive, but for GM luxury car issues.

Love BMW's, but only those now approaching 20 years old.

Such a personal decision, really.  Ignore everyone here and get the Audi!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/25/20 11:48 a.m.

Whose sister hit a coyote and totaled her Audi?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/25/20 7:37 p.m.

Audi's are wonderful cars to be a passenger in.  They are also great on longer trips.  If you take one to an autocross, you'd probably hate the dull steering and front end plowiness.   If you have to drive other people in bad or marginal weather, nothing beats an Audi.  If you want to drag race in the rain, nothing beats an Audi....  

I'd probably go with the Lexus if I had to pick one of these cars, or a Cadillac CTS-V (not on your list). 

I really, really think the next big sedan I want to drive is a Chevy SS with a manual trans.  I'm convinced, I should just figure out how to get one, since it is the last muscle car we will likely ever see.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 9:06 p.m.

You want the Audi.

Also, our B7 A4 Quattro did not plow at the autocross. Put good tires on and get a dang alignment! Also, it's a rear-steer chassis so people saying the steering is numb are confused.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
2/25/20 9:37 p.m.

I've driven an Audi A4, same chassis as the one pictured with the 2.0T, back-to-back with an E90 3-series when I was reviewing cars for a living.

The Audi felt numb, disconnected, over-boosted, etc. and it wasn't just the steering. It wasn't bad per se, it was just that the BMW felt more like an athlete in comparison. This was in spirited driving on twisty roads.

Maybe I was confused.

The BMW was spewing oil from the valve cover gasket when we finished. The Audi was not. The Audi would probably also be the better commuter given the more sedate feel of it.

Just my experience. YMMV.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/26/20 8:57 a.m.

The Caddy must have 300 of the smallest horses under its hood, or I drove a lemon. No way. 

The Lexus was incredibly disappointing from a driver involvement point of view, and it's ugly. Nope. 

The Bimmer 2.0t had big issues early on. Haven't driven one of those though. N54 or N55 are fun. Maybe. 

I really liked the A5 2.0 manual I drove. Yes, the steering was a bit numb (electric assist?), but aside from some slightly weird ergonomics WRT to my 6'1" skinny frame, it was a very nice car. Gets my vote. 

Also, in general, turbo cars can up the ante easily with a reflashed ECU. Not so on naturally aspirated cars. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xATGg1zDK2ggYStM9mmPpK4yk0HuUKttsMTS9r6J7vYJ4B36oECvTDwDkQoXhVGe