1 2 3 ... 12
thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/2/11 8:04 p.m.

bought a 89 vanagon gl in june '10 and a 94 eagle vision and put the 3.5 V6 and tranny into the vanagon, mid-engined, under the back seat. going to automotive electronics class presently for the electronics- mocking up all the peripherals in the engine room presently- she will have bmw 7 series rear brakes and 1/2 shafts [930 cv joints] and 288 mm vented discs up front. about 60 % done...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
2/2/11 8:12 p.m.

You're sick ... But our kind of sick !

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
2/2/11 8:20 p.m.

more details and pictures and all that needed NOW!

What other projects do you have

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
2/2/11 9:47 p.m.
thummmper wrote:

Your peanut-butter is in my chocolate!

Does that sound gay?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/11 11:30 p.m.

not sure I would have used that engine.. I am always leary of Chrysler engines for longevity.. but I like where this project is going

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/3/11 1:10 a.m.

I like the idea, but it needs more audi and less chrysler :P

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/11 1:35 a.m.

The engine is fine, the transaxle is the concern as those A-604s aren't the most robust.

Awesome project!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/11 7:48 a.m.

I put 150,000 VERY HARD miles on a 2000 Intrepid R/T with no problems anywhere, enjoy.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
2/3/11 8:06 a.m.

Extra points awarded for real thinking outside the box! What will be the intended use?

mad_machine
2/3/11 8:46 a.m.

if it were me... I would move the back seat forwards to clear the engine, lay down a nice flat load floor. and drive that van everywhere... that would be my intended use

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/11 8:49 a.m.

That rear seat must be a real hot seat.

mad_machine
2/3/11 8:56 a.m.

in thinking about the brick like aerodynamics of the van.. wouldn't a diesel have been better?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/11 8:58 a.m.

How much are you spending on this whole project? And why did you use the Chrysler V6?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
2/3/11 9:11 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: That rear seat must be a real hot seat.

How about a seat-shaped carbon fiber engine cover?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
2/3/11 9:12 a.m.

Love the idea.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/3/11 10:53 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Your peanut-butter is in my chocolate! Does that sound gay?

Maybe. Not there is anything wrong with that.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/3/11 11:23 a.m.

I like this new guy already!

Dan

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/3/11 11:31 a.m.

very sweet. Those engines sounded good and the auto-stick was great in its day.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/3/11 12:00 p.m.

Now thats a good use for that automatic/engine combo. To bad Chrysler never made a manual version for a more sporting swap.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/3/11 11:09 p.m.

^^ There was some talk long ago on dodgeintrepid.net that a porsche transaxle could be made to work

not sure I would have used that engine.. I am always leary of Chrysler engines for longevity.. but I like where this project is going

These motors are damn solid. Bout the only thing that will hurt them is if you overheat them to point of locking up about 20 times as i did trying to track down a nutso coolant leak. Speaking of which, if anyone is having trouble tracking down a nutso coolant leak on a 3.5..

Its a great motor. EASY 230+ hp/tq with intake and exhaust, probably 250+ if you could raise the rev limiter and tune it. The rev limiter was the WORST part of my intrepid after some breathing mods. Non-interference, easy timing belt, great intake and exhaust manifolds for a family car motor.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/3/11 11:54 p.m.

thanks everyone! I have a PreviaLHS on the docket for next year. same treatment, but much more aerodynamic. see the whole story from the beginning: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vanagonlhs/ and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412486&highlight=middie and http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/previalhs/?yguid=396279512

I just ran and got the fuel pressure regulator o-rings at dick powell in escondido, ca. 14.00 plus 20 miles one way. I will score a viton o- ring kit for the next one. $80 bucks for fuel rail seals. better than burning up on the way to vegas though. I have a subaru vanagon too. it all started with my corvagen in the 80's. the peanut butter reference was appropriate. pretty much. the seat will conceal it--check out my sites--I have a bunch of photos and links--

I chose this powertrain over owdee because it had less tsb's, like oil fires and such. I wanted 200 to 300 hp for my trouble, and chrysler is made in michigan by god! I will hitch up main street and tow it back with this if i have to! there is actually a fifth wheel conversion that takes 3 vanagons, and you can haul miniature horses in it. I have this eco-nazi thing about running heavy. this weighs 4800 lbs loaded and will get up to 25 mpg with that lockup converter. the electronics is the most interesting part. its my latest cat toy. one can never be sure they are posting on a good site or not, but now I have been overwhelmed and know this is one of the best. I run into purists that hate me everywhere and I am an infidel to them. besides, this was the only north-south e/taxle that will pass california smog--my ref wants to look her over once I get her driveable--he's in fullerton at the college. todd in carlsbad ca.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/4/11 6:25 p.m.

adam corolla always wondered why nobody invented a heated couch--well, here it is.
there was a heater under the rear seat to begin with--wont be needing it now

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
2/4/11 6:47 p.m.

Cool project

rl48mini
rl48mini New Reader
2/4/11 6:52 p.m.

Is there enough room under the front seats for another 3.5 V6 and tranny?

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/5/11 1:30 a.m.

I hadnt even considered up front--not feasible. I've got $2800.00 in this project so far. part of the requirement was economy. I got the beamer rear drum/discs and 1/2 shafts for 135.00. they just need to be jigged and welded. this is the 42LE which is a reconfigured uniflight, an old mainstay in the superbee. the van sidewinder trans is the tsb special. I wanted a back seat, so the sidewinder was out of the question. all the other candidates had no suitable trans or the dimensions were wrong. I searched everywhere. this wedges in between the suspension perfectly. no redesign needed. I didnt want to take a suspension design class as well, and be responsible for any new quirks it might have that I could get sued for. [or anyone hurt like the corvair]

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3AC6pMZb3iuAhTs8ziDGJu7qVS9JvDFmWmPQOqQsyCqspyD9g0BSYV5jEVgEVLLS