1 2 3
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
4/12/11 1:49 p.m.

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Here's my wrap story...

When my Miata got wrapped, Bob at Discount Signs swore up and down that the premium 3M vinyl was the way to go, both for protecting the surface underneath and to promote adhesion.

I have no reason to think otherwise, but would try a cheaper solution on something like a LeMons car or $200X Challenge entry.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/12/11 1:55 p.m.

Where is a good place to buy cheap wrap from? All I can find is stupid looking carbon fiber and sign graphics. Anybody have a good site for this stuff?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/12/11 1:58 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: The Oracal 751 premium cast vinyl or the stuff with the longest "lifespan". Damnit...this would fix a LOT of my vehicles CHEAPLY. Sucks having vehicles with different colored body panels.

Damn... Oracal 751 is literally twice the price.

Do i have unreasonable expectations that i could do this for $200-$250?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/12/11 2:01 p.m.

Still don't have plaid vinyl :(

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
4/12/11 3:08 p.m.

What kind of car is this going on?

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/12/11 3:17 p.m.

lol love how some of us only give a hoot for the flannel/plaid. Yes we are legit about running it!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/11 3:26 p.m.

I would definitely wrap the hood/trunk of my Miata in plaid. I still have my hood I started painting argyle but never finished it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/12/11 3:26 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: What kind of car is this going on?

My MX6 in my case.

Kanak66
Kanak66
5/18/17 5:42 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/18/17 6:46 a.m.

Zombie thread of 6 years ago!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
5/18/17 8:45 a.m.

Good one to bring up though...

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
5/18/17 8:59 a.m.

I need to wrap my quick flip miata

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/17 9:53 a.m.
Kanak66 wrote: Truly, it looks nice. I will also try wrapping my car of my own. Lately we are going to participate in a trade expo for increasing brand awareness and need custom trade show displays. Hope to get them at affordable prices.

Do they/you wrap canoe's??

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
5/18/17 10:47 a.m.

WOW ! I never would have considered a vinyl wrap until now. That stuff is superb !

I have a Legend Lime Mustang but have always wanted on e in dark metallic green, this might be something to consider.

"I used it to cover up the rusty rockers on my truck to get through inspection."

The weapon of choice is black duct tape here in Massachusetts. I can't see what the inspection stations are so concerned with what's happening beneath my doors, and the duct tape is just SO obvious that it seems insane that they would pass the car with the tape and fail it without . . . ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/17 11:31 a.m.

SignWarehouse, as mentioned earlier.

We wrapped a car here using Oracal about four years ago. Oracal is far more difficult to install than 3M, and the car looks like crap now. It's sunburned badly on all the upper surfaces. It lives outside in our harsh sunlight so it's pretty much a worst case scenario, but it sure hads degraded.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/18/17 1:08 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder:

Search ebay.

I have limited experience. But for my challenge entry last year, we were going to paint some fglass body damage. Unfortunately the day before we were going to paint my body/paint guy had heart attack. The challenge was 4 days away so I snagged some scraps of vinyl from a local graphics shop. It was white and matched c4 vette gp white perfect. Used it on a quarter panel and both doors. Looked good from 10 feet...certainly better that me trying to paint at last minute. Take your time and get another person to help. Really easy on flat panels.

Since then my painter bud died so we're gonna wrap car for this year's challenge. I think material will be around $100 total single color

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cfduau8TxRziQCqchwTbiQ6fLR0xVAOkSioZlw9ATH5vco1q20wVdxz8pilaFYRN