1 2
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
7/31/21 7:34 a.m.
feature_image

Sponsored Content Presented by MotoBloq.

That dream car that always seems just out of reach? MotoBloq says you have a different option when it comes to owning a desirable ride: a virtual car NFT.

What, exactly, is an NFT? Without getting too into the weeds, an NFT–short for non-fungible token–is like an original piece of art in that it can be copied, scanned …

Read the rest of the story

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/21 7:47 a.m.

Obviously not, but my first thought on reading this is to wonder if today is April first instead of July 31. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/21 9:07 a.m.

I don't understand..  

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/31/21 9:22 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

It’s the latest thing for people with more money than brains 

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/31/21 10:07 a.m.

What a dumb Berkeleying idea. Just dumb. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/31/21 10:32 a.m.

I am pretty sure this is already known as:  Gran Tourismo

And yes, this I suspect is mostly people with crap loads of bitcoin money trying to figure out how to spend it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/31/21 10:51 a.m.

Separating people from their money is a full time job.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/21 11:37 a.m.

I'm not sure what's more insane: A real A80 Supra selling for $200,000 or a fake VW Beetle selling for $24.

Both cars will probably get driven exactly as much, so...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
7/31/21 11:53 a.m.

So it's like having a car in a video game... but there's no game?

I'm confused too.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/21 12:29 p.m.

I have plenty of friends who produce purely digital art that never exists in a physical space, and NFTs might be a real benefit to them when it comes to commissions and original works. I see them as a legit way for artists in emerging media to be able to protect and get paid for their works.

But as glorified trading cards of cars? Oof, yeah. Not sure we're there yet. 

Now, maybe create some sort of social/interactive infrastructure around these limited-quantity digital products that encourages trading (think Pokemon Go, but for cars), and maybe we're getting somewhere. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/21 12:31 p.m.

No genius comment here.  Either I'm really stupid or this idea is.  Think I'm probably brighter than I look...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/21 12:35 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So it's like having a car in a video game... but there's no game?

I'm confused too.

You're not confused.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
7/31/21 1:56 p.m.

And half of the economy...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/21 8:23 p.m.

I guess they are easier to fit in the garage.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/31/21 11:13 p.m.

If you buy one, you become the sole owner of that virtual car

If I give the neighbor kid a nickle for his crayon drawing of my favorite car I get the same thing. 
This scheme confirms the old P.T. Barnum quote perfectly.

Excuse me, the Nigerian prince is on hold and I need to get back to him right away.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/31/21 11:16 p.m.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
8/1/21 2:01 a.m.

So let me get this straight, If I buy an imaginary car, nobody else can have it? 

GB
GB New Reader
8/1/21 7:06 a.m.

What about NFT's for true collector cars, where we can go in and purchase a portion. Like how a stock is partial ownership of a company. Whoever owns the largest percentage gets to park it at their garage.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
8/1/21 7:22 a.m.

They are selling you a thing that represents the idea of a car at a material cost of more pollution than an actual car would generate.

It is the most insane thing I've ever heard.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/1/21 8:07 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

If you buy one, you become the sole owner of that virtual car

If I give the neighbor kid a nickle for his crayon drawing of my favorite car I get the same thing. 
This scheme confirms the old P.T. Barnum quote perfectly.

Excuse me, the Nigerian prince is on hold and I need to get back to him right away.

If the kid is honest you actually get the drawing which I more than you get with "ownership" of an NFT. 

One born every minute. laugh

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/21 8:12 a.m.
nocones said:

I don't understand..  

No, you do understand. It's just a stupid idea.

GB
GB New Reader
8/1/21 8:35 a.m.
GB said:

What about NFT's for true collector cars, where we can go in and purchase a portion. Like how a stock is partial ownership of a company. Whoever owns the largest percentage gets to park it at their garage.

... but yeah, I do not get the virtual option. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/21 9:01 a.m.

I think we, as a like minded community, don't "get it" because we see cars as things to enjoy, through driving or using as a pallette to flex our creationary muscles on, or, when all the stars align and all the round tuits are delivered, both at the same time.

NFTs are things for people who get satisfaction from owning something.  They are tulip bulbs, they are parakeet glands on a stick.  They're "priceless art" that gets bought and stuck in an unlit storeroom somewhere.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/21 11:07 a.m.

I think things like NFT's are really just a secret way to study the relative intelligence of humans without letting the test subjects know it's a test. There is a database somewhere that you DO NOT want to be on.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/21 11:21 a.m.

Because we can monetize anything apparently. Any worse than betting on stocks to go up and down before the market opens (futures)?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5ivPYBzQzrn7UP1p86LVT7EWu6620jYURzIIrKk6TFTe0XEj8PWlkyNE7lxmMzv